1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

916 Clutch Pushrod

Discussion in '748 / 916 / 996 / 998' started by TNR, Mar 30, 2021.

1. Quick question:

With the pressure plate off, should there be any lateral movement of the pushrod?

I ask because in trying to find the cause of an ongoing oil leak, I've been told the needle bearing may be the wrong type and this is causing the issue. With the little oil seal removed, I have 3 to 4mm of movement.

The bearing in question:

20200925_173002.jpg

And the correct part: Screenshot_20210330-153458_eBay.jpg

2. If you've got 3-4mm lateral (I'm assuming radial) movement that bearing in place is certainly the wrong one! Any needle-roller bearing doing it's job properly will allow little to no radial movement.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. As suspected... ok, many thanks. Yes, radial movement. Loose as a goose.

In that case, the obvious next question is how much of a bear is it to get the wrong bearing out and the correct one in?

Do I try and knock it out from the slave side with a different rod?

4. The little o-ring seal on the push rod needs to be in good condition. Check that it's not nicked, or missing

5. I've replaced it several times with brand new items. And the two pushrod o rings as well. They last about 2 rides, then end up popped out and oil all over the back tire. This happened all last year. Kept riding, but wasn't exactly keen to lean it over too much!

Couldn't work out what was causing it until it was suggested that I had a plain roller bearing, not the correct needle bearing on the input shaft. Part of the primary gearing, not clutch assembly if I'm not mistaken.

6. OK. That's scary. You certainly need to get to the bottom of what's happening

7. I had a similar issue with an oil leak on the clutch system. Mine turned out to be the piston in the Oberon slave had over extended and leaked oil. May not be the same issue, but worth a check

8. I think I'm just a numpty.
    In my first pic there you can see the black oil seal squeezed up against the bearing.... except I didn't see it till now.

The whole time I've owned the bike, I've been trying to whack another seal in there and then wondering why it pops out every time I ride!

:thinkingface::thinkingface::poop:

Am going to pull the old seal out, check the bearing, then put a new seal in and see if that makes a difference.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Mine has just been carried out yesterday, just make sure you fit the seal flat facing out and flush with the metal works, sorry about the blurred photograph.
    DSCN7750[1].JPG

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information