1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Clutch Questions

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Cream_Revenge, May 6, 2017.

1. Found an interesting old thread where a few people ditched the curved plates, i may try that too.

• Nuke Post Nuke Post x 1
  2. Don't know much about slipper clutches but I'd be amazed if half a millimetre is the difference between slipping and dragging.
    My conventional clutch is way under recommended stack height and doesn't slip.
    I suspect your drag may be due to the tabs binding in the basket slots. Does it get worse as the motor warms up?

3. Bicci 2.PNG

4. Don't know, only been 100 yards, ben it will drag or slip straight away cold. 0.5mm really is making the difference.

5. It may be but I think there's something else going on.
    I had terminal drag when I replaced my frictions and tried correcting it with stack height. No go. The cure was to put some of the old plates back in the top of the stack. This allowed the plates to separate and eliminated the drag.

6. Trouble is I have an alloy basket and the new frictions are alloy. If I put old steel frictions in they will smash the basket.

7. Indeed. What you need is a mate with some old alloy frictions. Or a bike shop ??

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Haven't read whole thread so soz if already covered...

Ducabike do different spring tensions to adjust the slipper action, they usually come with the clutch: 6M01 - KIT MOLLE FRIZIONE VERNICIATE - 749 / 999 - SUPERBIKE

Once you've got the slipping/dragging problem sorted, if you still find the clutch too grabby and you use metallic (ie bronze or whatever that gold shit is) friction plates, then replacing a few with fiber plates can make it much more progressive and less grabby whilst still retaining some of the benefits of the metallic plates. Basically if you had a complete set if fiber plates and a complete set of bronze plates you'd just replace bronze with fiber until you get the feel and action you're looking for.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  9. The check for friction tabs binding in the basket slots is to warm the motor up and try and get them out. If they slip out easily they're not binding.

10. I needed to reduce the pack thickness on my Monster's clutch as it was a tad too thick and dragging, making finding neutral whilst stationary impossible. I replaced some 2mm plates with 1.5mm, the only 1.5mm plates I had at the time were dished so I used them and it dragged the same - got some flat 1.5mm plates and problem solved.

If you think about it a 1.5mm dished plate is over 1.5mm thick due to the dishing and yet doesn't make full contact with the friction plate when clamped because it's not flat. I don't see what advantage they give? Clutch takeup is fine without them and I can only think them more likely to slip, so I don't use them anymore.

#30 Dukedesmo, May 12, 2017
    Last edited: May 12, 2017
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  11. Where did you get 1mm plates from?

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. Also, if you had access to a surface grinder you could get some 2mm ground down - I thought about this as I've got loads of spare 2mm but it was quicker to buy the thinner plates.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  13. Yes, they're expensive. There maybe cheaper out there if you search or, as above grind some 2mm.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Before going to loads of expense, check for binding first - it's free...

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  15. I now go to EVR through Craig at MR for my steel plates. Cost effective, 2mm, 1.5mm and 1.5mm dished plates readily available. Only drawback is you need to pick your time when Craig is preparing an order. Andy

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  16. AND THE WINNER IS....................... @Dukedesmo !!!!!
    Take a fooking bow son!!!!!!!

Started from fresh and attempt #3 was with 0 dished plates.

No drag!
    No slip!
    Neutral easy to find at a standstill!
    Clutch I can use with just my index finger it's so light!

Going to try this on the 996 now as neutral is a bitch to find sine the new slave.

did a quick 1 mile up and down some hills with hard acceleration and seems OK.

Will take a long run tomorrow or Sunday and check it don't bind when up to temperature.....

• Like Like x 1
  17. Now get some work done!!! :grinning:
    Steve.

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information