1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

V4 Clutch Recall

Discussion in 'Panigale' started by TonyC, Jun 14, 2018.

1. Nelly is off on his holidays...

• Like Like x 1
  2. Self, self, self... :joy:

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. My v4 had the clutch update/recall work done before it was delivered.
    All was ok, until a few weeks ago when the clutch lever came back to the bar. After a quick bleed at the lever, it was back to normal.
    Now bleeding the clutch lever every 3 weeks.
    I told the supplying dealer about the issue, and they showed me an tech update/note from Ducati - stating that owners were reporting issues of air in the system, and that they (Ducati) where aware of the issue......i suspect another recall on this in the near future.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Still having problems with mine, back at the dealer now, clutch dragging again and having to switch off to get neutral.....

5. My dealer was telling me yesterday that forums create a disproportionate emphasis on negative issues, and the issue with air ingress into the clutch fluid is not something they've seen.

I said to him, "But you've just confirmed that you have taken a load of air out of my clutch." He did not seem to register the contradiction...

Then he told me that after bleeding out the air they went end to end on the hydraulic circuit and couldn't find anything wrong it. Must not have read the tech note.

Anyway, mine does it, Paul and Perc's does it and it seems Ducati know that other people have this issue so hopefully we will get a resolution.

The bike is brilliant and its worked fine for me since March on road and track. But given the complexity of the machine its seems perverse that the 100 year old technology is likely the last thing they'll fix. And its built by Brembo FFS, so its even more surprising.

6. Don't get me wrong the bike is fantastic, best slipper clutch and blipper I have used just frustrating that the basics are causing problems. Mine has also developed a oil leak behind the front sprocket, Ducati are aware of this issue and I think its going to be another recall. all said and done still the best bike out there.

7. yes I am very happy with my bike & understand that new models have teething problems , my bikes blipper did pack up all together & have had a new one fitted & found on the road its fine but on the track days it sometimes revs more then it needs so makes the bike run forward a bit which is very off putting wen ur going up to a corner & so I don't use it wen on a track day

8. My clutch was really snatchy today when I tried to do a quick launch once, the fluid is just above the min level too, nor has been sitting for 3 weeks though as I hurt my back so first time back on it today!.
    I’ve got to drop it off for the recall next Friday so will keep you all updated on how it feels when I get it back.

9. Haha Blackcurrant.

Seen this on many Ducatis including ones for sale in the main dealer but on no other manufacturer.

Why?

10. @TonyC you having to bleeds the clutch every 2000 miles looks like a similar problem as described on a YouTube video relating to the Multistrada back brake. Their theory was that because it's routed close to the cat the fluid boils and then the rear brake stops working. Suggested soilution is to use a dot 4 fluid that has a really high boiling point e.g. Motul racing fluid. My point is if your clutch line is routed so that engine heat boils the fluid then maybe a change of fluid to high boiling point fluid will help.

TB

11. Hi TB,
    Thanks for your pointer.
    A few weeks ago I replaced the internal piston seals.
    The original had a point of wear that would allow fluid to by-pass... similar to another poster on the forum reported. It would appear from the point of wear on the seal that maybe the milling of the MS internal channels had been left with sharp edges????
    My next step is to flush with a higher boiling point fluid.

I still can’t work out how air gets in though?

12. I'd be interested in this - I have the same problem on my 1198S, have to bleed the clutch every few hundred miles (getting air from the master cylinder end).

#32 AndrewS, Sep 17, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2018
Do Not Sell My Personal Information