1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

999 Clutch Stack Height And Plate Count

Discussion in '749 / 999' started by Lucazade, May 13, 2018.

1. you can lead a horse to water......

• Like Like x 1
  2. Or, too thick a clutch pack creating too much drag when disengaged.

I find a pack thickness of under 38mm to be better and only flat steel plates (no convex plates) makes for a much better pack separation.

If (with engine off) when clutch lever pulled fully in the pack will spin freely, and continue to spin a little after you let go during the spin then it is good if, however it is resistant and won't 'freewheel' at all then you'll struggle finding neutral when stopped.

• Useful Useful x 1
  3. From start up and gets worse as gets hot. Just done 3 miles and it got worse but before going I have flushed fluid fully

4. In that case, please indulge me by trying replacing the top 3 plates or so with old ones. No need to ride it to test, just do it with cover and fairing off.

5. Plates expanding slightly when hot, making overall thickness even thicker?

Try overall pack of 36 - 37mm, if you get any slip fit some stronger springs.

6. Ok so took out stock spring caps and they are 1.5mm deep. The after market bike came with fitted (got originals in box) 2mm deep. So removed a little from stack height. To be exact removed 2mm and all almost perfect. When cold no issue neutral when hot bit of wiggling but I can live with that. Next test ride out to see for slip. Hmmm nice day today...

• Like Like x 1
  7. loving this thread, this is what I joined up for :upyeah:keep going L you will get there.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. So
    1 the spring caps were wrong
    2 the stack height was wrong

#10 ....#35.....

9. Have you looked at the DCT ‘Auto’ conversion for that model Lucas?
    Eliminates all future clutch issues for good.:bucktooth:

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. ??

11. Define wrong spring caps as bike came with them all working.
    Obviously previous owner adjusted for them with clutch pack.

Stack height of 38.5 is correct but it did not work.

Frankly I had to remove about 3mm of stack height yet caps only introduced 0.5mm difference so where is the 2.5 coming from? Unless that aftermarket clutch plate is also wrong depth a d previous owner adjusted for that as well.

12. All aftermarket pressure plate, clutch plates, basket, springs, spring caps and even possibly drum (although have yet to find one), can have dimensional discrepancies that may lead to clutch operation problems, and we haven’t even started on slave cylinders and clutch levers.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Lol I know.

I think my push rod and clutch master (NOT LEVER) is original hehe

14. I more thing i found, if the fluid level is low when you remove the pressure plate the fluid level can drop below the minimum and introduce air into the system.

• Useful Useful x 1
  15. Thought the same so I have flushed the system top to bottom fluid is now nice and new

• Like Like x 1
  16. Is it all working fine now then ??

17. Its ride able

18. So what's it doing / not doing to make it nice?

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Gears are not clunky anymore and it's not dragging but neutral is still loads of 1-2-1-2-1-2 N

Do Not Sell My Personal Information