1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

748 Clutch Worn?

Discussion in '748 / 916 / 996 / 998' started by chunka57, Feb 12, 2018.

1. My stack height and order are nothing like as recommended.
    I also have a hotchpotch of worn, unworn, pattern Suzuki. Newfren and something else in there.
    It works perfectly though - quiet, smooth and two finger light.
    I wish the clutch in my 320d worked as well...
    It seems there are many routes to a nicely working Ducati dry clutch :)

• Like Like x 1
  2. I’ve taken it apart and cleaned and rebuilt. Few steel plates were rusted and sticking.
    Went out today again and the last plate has jumped out again
    Also, there is some binding when on the paddock stand and pull the clutch in, quite hard to turn the back wheel.
    From suggestions, thinner steel plates worth trying?

CE3189D2-5BD3-4748-ADEC-A519CB0DC067.jpeg

3F93B93F-BB1B-4924-BA2C-2BEE47137FBE.jpeg

2991520F-0C97-40E6-B69F-E9C6CF045B4F.jpeg

53F594D5-58B5-4491-A00F-918755B7F544.jpeg

3. You have something wrong with your clutch stack, in your very first pictures you last friction plate is almost flush with the edge of the basket, so when you pull the clutch lever it will jump out of the basket.
    When you take your plates out is there one stuck in the bottom of the basket ( someone trying the quiet clutch mod)?
    My picture isn't very good but you can just see how my last friction sits in the basket.
    DSC_0332.JPG
    Steve

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  4. Ahhhh I see mate. Not quiet mod mate. Has 2 steel plates 1st. Might be worth removing a plate do you think from mine?

5. Its not quite right, it can't do any harm to try it with one steel and one friction removed. At worst it will slip.
    Steve

• Like Like x 1
  6. Doing that anyway when it pops out lol
    Thanks mate

7. Just a quick update, took 1 of the 2 2mm plates out (1st in) plates not flush on the edge of the basket now.
    Took it for a quick 4 mile run up to 80ish. No problems.

#27 chunka57, Feb 26, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
  8. So a bit under 38mm stack height... ;)

• Like Like x 1
  9. More likely to be more like 34mm so I don’t expect it to be correct just yet

7A98A1CB-7C3B-4FFB-BBB6-11175FAE8C60.jpeg

10. If you can locate some 1.5mm plain plates, then some careful swapping with 2mm plates you can get the stack height you want.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Do you know anywhere I could get some from by any chance mate?

12. I got some from a French ebay seller, can't remember who though. Ducati make/made them but local Ducati dealer said they couldn't order them?

I think 'Ducabike' do them; http://ducabike.com/ducatiparts/it/ UK dealer; http://www.ducabike.co.uk/ to be clear, not the convex plates but a 1.5mm flat plate. You could probably grind some 2mm down if you have access to engineering stuff?

• Like Like x 1
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Thank you all

14. Sometimes you can just buy an old cluth pack off ebay and it'll come with a dished and a couple of 1.5 (well, it should do.......).

If it's not slipping, i'd just leave it alone.

• Like Like x 1
  15. If it works, doesn't slip and doesn't drag, don't worry about it..
    The lower stack height will give you a lighter clutch due to less pre load on the springs, so if it's not causing any slip, stick with it :)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Is this all sorted now?
    Steve

17. Afternoon mate.
    I stripped it back down and in the end I have removed one of the double 2mm plates.
    I did this on the 1st day it started snowing, nipped out for few miles and seemed fine.
    Unfortunately the weather has hindered a more substantial test but I am hopeful

• Like Like x 1
  18. Tried today. Still slipping

Do Not Sell My Personal Information