1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Condensation In Garage - Cover Bike Or Not?

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by bradders, Dec 23, 2018.

1. I’ve found a vac bag, about £50, that you put the absorber bags inside and then suck air out. Can’t see how it can seal tho, it’s covers over not entirely (like the expos I’ve bubble ones)

2. Interesting to read these comments. I don't get condensation in my workshop which is heavy weatherboard outer face on plywood sheathing. The roof is fake slate on plywood sheathing. I put the lack of dampness and condensation down to the Tyvek fabric moisture barrier / breather membrane which completely covers the outer face of the plywood. The doors are weatherstripped and the windows are quite small. Almost airtight when all shut up, I guess.

AL

3. I used to have big condensation problems. Used to cover bikes up and they'd go moldy underneath the covers! I bought a Delonghi oil radiator and leave it on at a low setting. It's cheap to run and takes the chill out if air and warms the atmosphere. Don't have any problems now and don't even cover the bikes any longer.
    IMG_6160.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  4. I have something similar already, but don’t use for that. What sort of cost to run?

5. I don't know to be honest, it can't be a lot as I've never noticed much of an increase in my electric bill and I have it on all the time. With it being oil, once the oil has heated up it stays warm and only uses electric to top up the temperature. The dial gives up to 6 but I only have it on at 1-2 and it does the job.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. Think I’ll give that a go just around the bike. I have it on carpet, which is on foam tiles, as I read it’s the concrete that sweats and makes it worse. Interesting that by the door there isn’t much on my gixer, but I’m the middle with the bmw it’s a wet coat on the plastics

• Like Like x 1
  7. Oops sorry. Fat fingers on over sensitive iphone screen! :confused:
    Now corrected. :)

• Like Like x 1
  8. Ta

9. Just for info my bike lives in a car port so lots of ventilation. It's under a light internal quality breathable bike cover and I've never noticed any condensation. Ventilation may be the answer.

10. Don’t forget that if condensation forms, it won’t just be on the visible parts of the bike, but also awkward out of the way components. Bear this in mind when applying ACF50 etc.

I would have thought that covering it up and placing a small heater beneath the cover would work even in the dampest of garages.
    Perhaps an electric greenhouse heating tube LINKY would be even cheaper to run than the DeLonghi??

11. More air movement in and around the Suzuki probably drying it out more/quicker.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Ventilation: My garage has never suffered from condensation...but ive got a nice sized gap under the back door and the front doors....as a result its always quite drafty...and when i work in there i put a draught excluder in front of both doors...

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. I cover mine with a cotton sheet and put a 60w lightbulb under the bike wired to a timer comes on for an hour in the morning and an hour in the afternoon the ambient heat from the bulb prevents condensation.
    I’ve never had a problem with this and stopped my condensation issues and it’s as cheep as chips

• Like Like x 1
  14. I have a couple of those bike bubble things. My garage is damp in the winter and these babies keep my bike very dry and safe... The newer red ones look pretty cool too

• Like Like x 1
  15. The vacbag I linked or those expensive big bubble things?

16. Well I got mine from the bay at about 120 each. I bought in the summer and got a good deal. They work super good and keep the bikes dry and very clean into the bargain.

Not expensive really and a good investment for keeping the bike looking good. ..

IMG-20181203-WA0003.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  17. I do have a vac bag for my k1200lt but it's a right chew getting it in the thing. They seal up OK with a big cable tie.

I definitely recommend the bike bubbles mind

#37 Eeza, Jan 11, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
    • Useful Useful x 1
  18. On mine, I've always had condensation when it's just been a concrete garage with no lining or electric points in.

The two other places I've used have been a very large wooden shed, which has had little to no condensation I feel, through decent ventilation but also the absorbing ability of wood, and a garage that was when built, had tyvac lining, insulation and plasterboard

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  19. Mus admit, I’m seriously considering knocking the garage down and replacing with a very large shed, double garage sized. I cant extend the garage, well not without huge hassle, whereas a simple concrete base to match the garage one is far easier. And you can pick these big sheds up for not huge money. And as I said, my shed which sits next to the garage is bone dry

20. Lol my garage is 3 years old and built to code so it has a lined roof with concrete tiles and what I would call a conventional brick walls.

I live in the North East so you southenerns need an extra coat up here. Maybe the climate has more to do with it?

The bubbles push air through the bike 24/7 so there's no chance of condensation

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information