1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Consensus Of Opinion, Is This Acceptable On Here ?

Discussion in 'Builds & Projects' started by CAT3, Nov 10, 2020.

1. Stunning! Beautiful lines, that fuel tank following the frame tubes, all the attention to detail and fabricating custom parts, chapeau!

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. I bet you need two sets of tools to work on it though (apart from hammers).........metric for the new stuff, imperial for the original.....

........takes twice as long to do anything, because you are always looking for 'the other socket' rather than the one you picked up first.......;)

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. I'd be worried the rear brake disc would catch side-winds & drafts from trucks. Other than that very nice, good stuff.

4. Now past middle aged I’m used to side winds and draughts

#24 michel couque, Nov 17, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2020
  5. After all this is it slow, bad handling and expensive, asking for a friend.

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. Correct, but because I built it I know which are imperial & which are metric ! Pity the poor blighter who owns it next, they won't have a clue !!:joy::joy:
    The two wheel spindles are the best, imperial hex size with metric threads, (cos I couldn't be bothered changing the gears on my lathe when I was cutting the threads !! :confused:)

It weighs 256.8 kilos, on the light side for Harley type things, so a bit of a side wind is not really an issue. It's also very low ! ;) Cheers :upyeah:

Of course, it was built to look good, (although that depends upon your personal point of view) not break records round the Isle of Man ! :joy:
    In fairness it's got some grunt, the engine is a 93" or 1524cc to you young 'uns, so plenty of low down pull. You really only want to be travelling around 50 - 60mph, that's were it feels best & on a smooth road surface !
    Hopefully this new one I'm building will have a little bit more comfort, providing it "looks right" :tired_face:
    Because the tank is small, having to fit between the two frame tubes, it only holds 9 litres so range is limited to around 50 miles before you need to be looking for fuel.
    Believe me, from my house to Matlock Bath is slightly over 40 miles & you're glad to get off it for a coffee !:joy:

#26 CAT3, Nov 18, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2020
    • Like Like x 4
  7. Went round to a mate's yesterday who has done a drawing for me of a rear caliper mounting bracket. The 3D printer has just finished printing one so I'll get it tomorrow & see how it aligns with the caliper & disc before getting the final version machined.
    IMG-20201122-WA0000.jpg
    This new fangled 3D printing thing is brilliant, I love it :upyeah:

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Got the bracket today & fitted it to my back wheel. Everything seems to line up OK & clearance either side of the disc, between the caliper, seems good too. Measurements must have been good ! ;)
    DSCN3771.JPG
    The two white plastic spacers will not be there on the finished part, we had to trim the bracket down somewhere to get it to fit on the printer bed, so we took 5mm off the two mounting posts.
    I'm quite happy with that so the next thing is to get one machined.

• Like Like x 3
  9. Progress is very slow at the moment, but I have ordered my frame, which should be ready in August & today I collected the rear caliper mounting bracket that I've had a local engineering shop make for me. Very pleased with the result & it all fits & lines up correctly.
    It needs anodising, but that will have to wait until all the alloy parts are finished because there is a minimum charge the anodisers have.

DSCN3970.JPG

• Like Like x 3
  10. And on the wheel with the caliper fitted ........

DSCN3975.JPG

• Like Like x 1
  11. It would never be my choice but I have to admire the skill and work that's gone into it, great looking bike.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. It's been a while, but my frame is now ready for collection !
    phil25.jpg
    phil28.jpg
    Now I can get going, but it will still be slow !!!

• Like Like x 8
  13. put a 1198 engine in it :upyeah::upyeah:

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  14. The front shopping trolley looks handy

15. #35 Chris, Oct 1, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Just waiting for some brackets to be welded, but in the meantime I made the number plate mount & rear brake torque arm.
    DSCN4185.JPG
    DSCN4181.JPG
    DSCN4180.JPG

• Like Like x 4
  17. Number plate mount is almost done now, just need to open out one hole to 30mm diameter.
    DSCN4217.JPG
    Saddlebag mounts are tacked in position too.
    DSCN4199.JPG
    And, upper fuel tank mounts are also tacked in position.
    DSCN4226.JPG
    My welding isn't good enough for final welding so I get a mate to do that for me.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Number plate holder is now finished apart from final rubbing down, anodising & extending the wires to the light.
    DSCN4243.JPG
    DSCN4244.JPG
    Also got the steering stops made & tacked in position.
    DSCN4239.JPG
    DSCN4240.JPG
    DSCN4241.JPG

• Like Like x 3
  19. You lost me on the saddle bags.

• Funny Funny x 1
  20. He has matching chaps.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information