1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

V4 Cool Covers Seat Cover

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by duke63, Jul 10, 2022.

1. I generally find that bike jeans are either very heavy, or very stiff, due to the protective lining. Had a pair of Rokker Revolution jeans once and hated them, as they were nothing like jeans to wear, and felt like cardboard.

2. Did you try the Rokkertech? Completely different material to the Revolution, admittedly a bit heavier weight material compared to regular jeans, not by much mind you. They fit nicely IMHO and feel good on and off the bike. Wear mine on the bike a lot, have toured in them too.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. I would agree that the first set of lined jeans I had (Hood) were horribly uncomfortable. The ones I have now are a pair of the single layer Rokkertech ones and are a huge improvement. They flow enough air at speed but your legs don’t cook like they do with mesh trousers when you are going slow in towns.
    With the D3O ghost armour fitted they are comfortable on and off the bike, just like a normal pair of (slightly heavier) jeans

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. I went from Jeans to vented Goretex trousers. Too much inconvenience having to stop and put on wet weather covers, that never work for long and then have to dry the Jeans off.
    Each to their own though.

• Like Like x 1
  5. No, I've not tried those. Yet!

6. Perforated leather trousers work best for me as leather is a second skin and breaths with you . Tried jean once (draggin) and felt hot sweaty and rubbed raw over 2 days , sweaty and uncomfortable. My leathers can be worn all day even in high heat as they work with your body.
    As a different thing bur still on keeping cool , just started to use a cool down under vest (water assisted), very odd but really does feel cold and told it can reduce your core temp by 5 to 9 degrees on a hot day worn under your jacket . Let you know, unless others can add to the experience as may be useful when stuck in the 30 + degs on tour.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. As an aside, Rokker are renowned for the safety of their single layer motorcycle jeans, one of a very few manufacturers to meet the higher safety standards. I met a paramedic at a presentation where he recounted attending an RTI to find the motorcyclist fairly banged up but his Rokkers were still in one piece, no rips or tears. He tried to cut the jeans off but buggered his surgical shears. My girlfriend loves hers although they do offer little protection from a hot exhaust. Andy

8. It’s the bane of my life deciding what gear to take. For our recent trip to Spain and Portugal I took both my Rukka gortex suit and a Klim Marrakesh jacket with the jeans. At the start of the trip it was 40 degrees for a couple of days so the vented jacket was best but on the return trip I rode through horrendous weather so I was glad of the Rukka. I just wished I’d stopped to put on the liner before I got soaked as I was really cold when I arrived at the ferry.
    I also had three pairs of gloves of different weights and a variety of base layers!

With all this choice I could usually decide at the beginning of the day what was most suitable (based on the app forecasts) and mainly avoid stopping to swap over gear.

I’d still rather take more riding gear and just 1 pair of shorts, trousers and a few tee shirts for the evening. The main thing is being comfortable on the bike as it’s a lot safer for you in the end.

• Like Like x 1
  9. I really do think all you need is a decent vented Gortex suit. I wear Klim personally. Yes, they are perhaps warmer than mesh stuff, but for me, they're safe and can be worn in zero to 40 degrees.

My go to underneath the suit are those figure hugging long leg/long sleeved base layers, but can be substituted for shorts and a tee shirt. I always carry a Rab down jacket in a compression sack - works for mooching about in off the bike too if a tad chilly.

Agree a couple of pairs of gloves, but even summer gloves with liners work with heated grips.

It means my rear seat bag can contain only clothing for off the bike and keeps the pack size small.

#29 Burnsey, Jul 12, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2022
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  10. I go down the layering route unless I know the ride will be cold and wet in the main. For tours I now leave with Klim Marrakesh and Rokkertechs but pack merino wool top (Halvarsons) and long johns (Aldi), Held wet tour breathable jacket and trousers (Scott do a similar suit) and finally a Rab down jacket (will fit under the Marrakesh jacket for ultimate warmth). All this surplus kit folds down to the square root of bugger all. The Rab jacket can also be worn on chilly evenings in the mountains or if camping.

Whilst it might be a pain to stop and put the waterproof layer on it works, breathes and doesn't get sweaty. Best of all I can adapt to a broad range of climates and be comfortable in all of them.

Anyway, thread drift...

• Useful Useful x 1
  11. I had a look at the Rokkertech, but couldn’t find stock in my length. I’ve ordered a pair of single layer Roadskin Taranis Elite jeans, as they are an English company, and got a very good review in the latest copy of Adventure Rider magazine. They also have an offer where you get a free pair of gloves when ordering those jeans.

I shall report back once I’ve tried them!

• Like Like x 1
  12. Riding jeans have come on leaps and bounds in just the last couple of years. The move to fibres with stretch have made them more comfortable and safer to wear. Previously it was like wearing cardboard jeans.

I bought the latest Oxford jeans which fit well, look good, are a decent price and are comfortable to wear. My own subjective opinion is they are probably safer than mesh jeans but no less warm.

In terms of textiles, Klim clothing vents much better than all other makes and as it isnt a tight fit allows air to move through more freely. Not cheap but you get what you pay for. I bought the Carlsbad jacket. It took a bit of wearing in as was very stiff when new. Now fits really well.

13. so ... you'd rather roast your tool, than look like a tool?

i guess fashion hurts, eh?

;-)

• Funny Funny x 2
  14. I don't roast anything John.

I wear the right gear and use the right equipment :innocent:

But I look a tool anyway, but not a standing super tool :D

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. Agreed - stretch in the denim makes a big difference to comfort.
    I have a pair of blue and a pair of black oxford single layer jeans and Rokkertech stone washed. Oxford are my preferred now.
    I'd recommend them - good value as well.

By the way - Bennetts recently did an exhaustive test of single layer jeans - makes very interesting watching in terms of their performance for leather jeans and double layer jeans.

16. I'd not heard of these and found a good review from Bennetts here: https://www.bennetts.co.uk/bikesoci...jackets-trousers-suits/roadskin-taranis-jeans
    I only mention this as their suggestion is to replace the supplied armour with the D30 Ghost armour. I've done this with some of my other jeans and confirm the D30 ghost armour is definitely worthwile doing.

17. Yep, I’ve got some ghost armour ready to go in when they arrive tomorrow. :upyeah:

18. Underpants. No seams and natural fibre. No nylon stitching. Chaffed my buttocks raw on a 940 mile run.
    I have Rukka trousers with cool pad and an old pair of hein gerrick goretex vented trousers. Zips on both thighs with mesh inserts. Gel seat pads in hot weather hold heat and will broil your tattles. Evening wear I suggest a sarong and a silk thong but I stay in some strange hotels:)

19. Jesus, someone disliked a post of mine - on a thread about sore arses - savage :D

The internet at its best I suppose.

I’m out.

• Funny Funny x 1
  20. Fat fingers on smart phones.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information