1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

748 Coolant Temperature Sensor

Discussion in '748 / 916 / 996 / 998' started by Craig Hurst, Mar 29, 2024.

1. Guys. I have just rebuilt my Ducati 748 and started it up for the first time. The coolant temperature gauge doesn’t work. I have checked the wiring and it is OK and I have tried testing the gauge as it states in the manual by shorting the sensor wire to ground but nothing happens. when I tried swapping the positive and negative supply the the gauge then shorting the sensor wire to earth the needle swings to full scale. I thought I had fixed it but when I connect the sensor wire the gauge reads full scale even when the bike is cold. The sensor reads about half an ohm to ground at room temperature. Any ideas guys please??? Thanks

• Like Like x 1
  2. Voltage the wrong way would make the gauge move the wrong way. If the gauge is powered and the sensor connector is grounded it should go to max. If it does that it's all correct.

3. Yeah it’s strange. I’ve checked the voltage on the wires and it’s correct. But when connected positive to positive and negative to negative and the signal shorted to ground nothing happens. If I put positive to the negative on the gauge and negative to the positive on the gauge and ground the signal it goes full scale. Can’t weigh it up. Do you know what resistance the sensor should be to ground at room temp please?

4. I think it's 1kOhm. I can check tomorrow.

5. Cheers bud that would be great.

6. Took me a while longer. At ~12degC I measure 110 Ohm. IMG_20240331_140511_604.jpg

7. Cheers for that mate. I’ve ordered one of the ones you gave me the link for.
    Thanks again

• Like Like x 2
Do Not Sell My Personal Information