1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

748 Copart 2002 Ducati 748s Bip

Discussion in '748 / 916 / 996 / 998' started by RC1, Nov 19, 2019.

1. I do like that colour scheme :upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Congratulations again. I was super tempted to have a go at this. Sidestand - hilarious :joy:

• Like Like x 1
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Lovely bike, looks like you got a great deal, well jealous!
    Bit surprised it still starts, sitting on that mat tho' .... :)

• Funny Funny x 2
  4. Well done, it looks stunning.
    Steve

• Like Like x 1
  5. lol.... it's only temporarily sat on this mat..... ducati one will follow in due course.... cleaned myself out on the ducati.

6. Thanks! I am very pleased with it.... tinkered yesterday and got the temp gauge working ... seems the earth is a bit iffy.... odd as you would think it would earth fine to the rest of the engine .....earth strap is intact... just seems that the piece the sensor screws into is insulated currently.... will fiddle more once paddock stand is ready for use.

• Like Like x 1
  7. 69A01146-7F65-4AB6-8595-D15C24DA34C8.jpeg

Welcome to the club

• Like Like x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  8. That is nice .... I need to get the red pinstripe perhaps for rear number boards .
    It's a shame the previous owner hasn't popped up.... would love to know what happened . To the bike and the service history!
    Cheers
    Pete

9. I was chatting the other day to someone about my recent 748 purchase, he mentioned amongst other things something about 3 earthing cables that are temperamental. He recommended to replace them as they were low cost and I think he said were still available through Ducati.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  10. PS, I'm gutted as I only just saw this thread (23/03) and would have phoned CoPart tomorrow morning. Looks beautiful, hope you enjoy it.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Ah this is interesting. Any info on locations?
    Cheers
    Pete

12. Starter cables (0nly one is an Earth) - you can make your own or get some proper aerospace quality ones:

https://www.ducatiforum.co.uk/threa...-belt-2v-coil-kit-link-forum-discounts.36761/

Don't waste your money on Ducati OEM ones as they are still not fit for purpose :thinkingface:

• Like Like x 2
  13. Pete, the temp gauge earths through the 6 way headlamp connector to the main loom via pin T in the round bayonet connector below the front RHS of the tank. Intermittent and various clock, speedo, taco, idiot light and light misbehaviours are often related to water trapped in that round connector, specifically dirty/burnt pins T or Z (both are earth paths). Separate the connector, spray with contacts with contact cleaner and silicon contact preserver as a service item and find pin T and Z so you know where they are in the plug.
    For the record your bike is a Titanium Grey MY02 748S Bip and was never officially referred to as a Senna as many folks suggest. If you are intending keeping it for its value (as clean original ones are now increasing in value and becoming quite rare) then it is sensible to not make any changes which are permanent to the original panels as they will reduce its value if you sell it on at any time. For the earth and starter solenoid cables Exige's ones are the best you can get and far better than the OEM ones.

#36 Denzil the Ducati, Mar 24, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 2
  14. Thankyou for this info, most useful. Interestingly the earth issue is not at the gauge.... you can touch the sensor wire to the engine block and gauge moves fine.... it's literally the earth return path through the sender.... if you earth the sender body it works.... so it seems the housing is insulated currently. Yes I know it's an unofficial name. My mate has a real senna... I just love it as it is.... as it currently has no history it is devalued I guess but it doent matter to me... 16000 miles from new... looked loved prior to what ever happened to it.... was a biposto but has solo seat now.... it had been painted gloss where should be satin.... it's now satin again.... the front number board shouldn't be there really but I like it. It runs lovely and I'm looking forward to learning about it... the engine management is the same system my integrale uses.... is there any diagnostic kit available?!?
    Cheers
    Pete
    Cheers

• Like Like x 1
  15. Thankyou for this info, most useful. Interestingly the earth issue is not at the gauge.... you can touch the sensor wire to the engine block and gauge moves fine.... it's literally the earth return path through the sender.... if you earth the sender body it works.... so it seems the housing is insulated currently. Yes I know it's an unofficial name. My mate has a real senna... I just love it as it is.... as it currently has no history it is devalued I guess but it doent matter to me... 16000 miles from new... looked loved prior to what ever happened to it.... was a biposto but has solo seat now.... it had been painted gloss where should be satin.... it's now satin again.... the front number board shouldn't be there really but I like it. It runs lovely and I'm looking forward to learning about it... the engine management is the same system my integrale uses.... is there any diagnostic kit available?!?
    Cheers
    Pete
    Cheers

16. You mention no paper work. I pressume you have the new owners part of the log book or has a log book already made and you now have it

I'd try the "is my bike mot'd" dvla website first
    https://vehicleenquiry.service.gov.uk/?_ga=2.106170115.1823870267.1585049467-989624346.1585049467

You should be able to see it's mot history, passes, failures, mileage at mot time, notifications. If you have the new owners part/log book, there is a number you can also put on (the mot website will tell you which number) and that should show you were it has been mot'd through the years

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information