1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1260 Corrosion Under Water Pump Cover

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by Blairso, Sep 4, 2019.

1. so they are saying that this adventure bike (that can go anywhere, including offload where there is sand/grit/salt) is not suitable for the conditions which it is advertised for?
    They show the enduro (which has the same finish) being used in those conditions.
    They have fitted a cover to the bike which has contributed to this condition, otherwise other places on th engine would have this corrosion too. Poor design and poor quality finish that it not adequate for purpose.
    on top of that... yes we have salt on our roads...make something that is fit for purpose. Quality powder coat or anodising!
    T@ssers!

Class action anyone?

2. It does annoy me that although a wonderfully designed bike it is let down by cost savings in poor finish and some parts. When you are paying premium prices you expect a premium finish and quality control.

• Agree Agree x 5
  3. When I had similar problems it was Ducati UK who were insisting on the bike's condition being assessed. Snells, who were excellent, were tasked with making the assessment. They recommended replacement of the second set of covers (and later, the main engine bearing when that failed) under warranty, but it was Ducati UK who refused.

It's not a new dealer you need; it's a reliable manufacturer.

I returned to Honda five years ago and haven't had a sniff of such corrosion, despite riding through winter on salted roads. I was seriously considering coming back to Ducati in the hope that these issues were a thing of the past. This thread has made my decision.

• Like Like x 1
  4. I'll wait and see what the outcome is from my visit on Monday. Ironically the worst weather the bike has seen was in the Stelvio area of Italy in June this year, so the bike should tolerate conditions in its country of manufacture. If they refuse, I will take legal advice to resolve this matter.

• WTF WTF x 1
  5. If the bike's still under warranty, I'm sure they'll cover the work. It's how they deal with it should it reoccur that worries me.

• Like Like x 1
  6. I think the problem is due to the OEM fitment of the plastic cover, with the foam insulation, once mine is back from the dealers, that cover will be on the shelf, I will be fitting an aftermarket water pump protector, it should never become a problem again after that hopefully!!

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Checked mine today, no sign of any corrosion, but gave it an extra spray of ACF 50.

8. Many of you seem to be under the impression this is caused by the cover and foam. My 2010 model clutch case did this within the warranty period with no cover fitted. It was replaced under warranty no questions asked but the replacement did exactly the same thing. I was told this was not covered as the warranty on the bike had run out by this stage. The new part should have been covered under its own warranty I thought but no dice. It is a real worry that this is still an issue, should really have been sorted by now, it's 9 years on ffs.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Checked mine today. It’s 8 months old and I think if I’d left it any longer corrosion would have got a hold of it.

The cover is back on but the foam is in the bin.

What a mind bendingly crap piece of design.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Did you fit some spacers behind the cover where the bolts are located?

#30 Bob_Cooper, Sep 8, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2019
  11. My 11 plate Mutley had both engine cases replaced under warranty as the paint blistered and fell off. Pics taken and work done. It’s the surface prep/lack of it before painting & water based paints.
    My water cooled GS got white blistering coming up from under the paint on the engine & cylinder area. New engine put in at a cost to BMW of over 7k. It was a common issue.

12. No, just removed the foam and put it back on.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Biot, your GS was not the only one to suffer this. A little story:
    Mate of mine had an 18k miles 18 month old GS he wanted to trade back in. They wouldn't take it due to the extent of corrosion, so he made a warranty claim. same dealer then got the job of fitting a replacement engine under warranty, and then accepted it was good to go for a trade in :laughing:

14. Took my bike to the dealers this morning, had it photographed, to show the bike is immaculate apart from the corrosion around the water pump. Received an email at 15.00 saying Ducati accepted the warranty claim and all parts have been ordered. Hope it continues to an early resolution.

• Like Like x 5
  15. What I forgot to tell you was that on my '10 plate multi the paint on the swing arm lifted too, looked effing horrible. And I do look after my bikes by the way...;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Had my claim accepted too, parts on order, so glad its going to be sorted, will be putting an aftermarket water pump protector on when its all sorted!!

#36 Bobmg, Sep 10, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Just took mine off. No corrosion at all, very surprised and happy :)
    Cover will be staying off

It's an ex demo bike with about 1500 miles, so probably rarely seen the rain which makes sense as to why there's no corrosion

• Like Like x 1
  18. Just looked at mine...not nice.
    Bike was previously owned by Ducati UK so service record is up to date and I might try a dealer for a claim
    67plate 6000mls

20190915_125706.jpg

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Interestingly, picked up my new 1260s on Saturday, and there is no longer a cover. Was going to be my first job..

• Like Like x 1
  20. Checked mine at the weekend

3000 miles, and starting to corrode, not too bad, but still not happy, removed the foam for now, will see what dealer has to say next time im in

Do Not Sell My Personal Information