1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1260 Corrosion Under Water Pump Cover

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by Blairso, Sep 4, 2019.

1. Let me know what they say Mark. Should be ok, I was last time

2. Had mine into the dealers today, work all done, spot on, got to play out on Panigale V4S for the day, courtesy bike, what an engine, so smooth, quick shifter silky smooth as well!!! IMG_1911.jpeg IMG_1918.jpeg IMG_1919.jpeg

• Like Like x 3
  3. Will do Bob

4. Taking to dealers on Saturday for photos to be took so hopefully it will be sorted.

5. Heard back from dealers yesterday and Ducati say yes so all parts are on order.
    Happy Days

6. Why can't they sort this out, how difficult can it be? It must be costing them quite a bit to rectify this. Gets me fuming stuff like this as it's been going on for years!

• Like Like x 1
  7. I had mine sorted last Thursday, Ducati even supplied a new piece of foam to go under the plastic cover! Needless to say, it won't be going back on. The dealer says mine is the only 1260 that they've sold that has displayed this fault, or rather that they've had reported to them.

8. Yes my dealer hadn't seen it before but was happy to report it to Ducati, they didn't send a report to them as they had a pre arranged meeting with Ducati about other things and showed the pictures after the discussion.

9. Trust me, this has been an issue since the very first models came out.

10. Had a look under the pump cover on mine. No corrosion of note other than the tapped bolt that one of the cover retaining screws goes into. Slathered the case in ACF50 and also liberally applied some to the sound deadening sponge as well.

Bike was in for a service last week as well as investigation into an oil lead that's been ongoing, that I've noticed, since May. Shop rang up to say that they'd found the source of the oil leak, "its the sponge under the plastic pump cover, it appears to be soaked. Have I had the bike treated?". Had to convince them that I'd only done this the week before and the oil leak has been there for months.

11. My swing arm paint fell off, as did that on the engine casing & water pump. Was actually cheaper to source a good s/h swing arm and swap it in than refinish. Anyone want a skanky but otherwise sound swing arm?

12. Had my corrosion damage sorted yesterday so I think cover will stay off or at least the foam will be removed if I put cover on.

20190915_125706.jpg

20191030_103656.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  13. Just checked my 18 plate 1260PP and doesn’t look too good.
    Not brilliant for a bike I’ve had 6 months.
    Dealers usually pretty good , will see what they say
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Had the Generator/ water pump side done under warranty, now got the recall for the side stand, so will ask about the wear on the clutch cover, which is worse than your's, got some Rhino tape on it currently, to try protect from further paint wear!!

• Useful Useful x 1
  15. Just take the cover off it’s only there to pass noise emission tests...

16. The water pump and alt cover are obviously unacceptable and should be replaced under warranty, as others have. The clutch cover is just marks from riding boots, I doubt Ducati would consider

• Like Like x 1

17. that's what I thought too when I first looked.
    It is in fact thin paint and not a boot mark at all

18. It is thin paint, I tried to clean the marks off to no avail, I will see what the dealer says the next time I am in!!

19. Yes the clutch cover paint is thin but the mark is from boot or cuff rubbing on that thin paint. Duc may use this as an excuse to not replace. Someone on the forum did get it replaced though it was a lot more worn. I've got the same dark marks , where my right boot rests on the clutch cover. I've never known a bike where my boots didn't leave a mark where they rested, but it's usually a foot peg shield that is for that purpose. Ducati just happens to have a big clutch cover there. No amount of paint will prevent boot marks.
    But that water pump and alt cover issue under that foam backed cover, there's no excuse for that. NorthAmerican bikes don't have that cover, thankfully

Do Not Sell My Personal Information