1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 DVT Cost To Change

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by BigAlan, Feb 9, 2018.

1. Does to me, but a month later the nagging thought of a new bike pops back into your head, as it has mine hence this topic.

2. Hi BigAlan

Is it not worth you subscribing to the Forum and advertising your bike for sale here.

3. I did and have, thanks.

#23 BigAlan, Feb 12, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
  4. What’s more it’s only done 3475miles, I knew I needed my glasses when trying to read the display.

5. Popped into P&H today. My 2016 DVT 1200S with 14,500 miles, their first offer was £9,450 (so cost to change to another S would be just over £8K).

I don't think it's worth changing for another year, I've got another 2 years extended warranty, new chain, sprockets and brake pads, plus tyres are fine. There is a big service due (£1K) but at the moment. I know I'll pile on a few more miles, but less than I have been as I will not be going into London every day soon.

6. were they busy today?

7. Fairly quiet, I was a bit late to take the 1260 out for a test ride, would have only had 30 mins. But I'll pop back another time.

8. its always nice to take a look whats in stock,,cheers

9. £9450 seems low ? remember other folk getting £10500 in P/ex but you can’t buy a second hand one for under £12k which seems one hell of a mark up...

How much was it new ? £16k ? that p/ex would make me weep !!

Yeah, hang on to it if I were you...

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Yes, I thought it was a bit on the low side. List is £17K for a new one

11. whenever i trade a vehicle i go to great lengths to explain i want their best offer, i dont want to mess around back and forth! It really infuriates me then when you say not good enough im going elsewhere they then offer a better price........salespersons :rolleyes: doesn't matter what they are selling i wouldn't trust any further than i could throw them...

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. I know it's frustrating but it's a brand new model. No dealer is going to divert far off the list price with their first load of stock at this time of year with spring just around the corner. They'd sooner keep it than even give you £300 off because next month it will be gone anyway. If I was a salesperson I wouldn't discount it, even if you did threaten to walk out the door. If I was that sales person's boss I'd not let them discount it either.

Maybe, just maybe, if I had a longstanding customer in front of me I might throw something in to sweeten the deal, just to keep you happy, but generally your good customers understand that you're not a charity, "profit" isn't a dirty word and that your livelihood relies on you hitting you targets, etc. If they can discount a bike to keep churning your business then generally they'll do it without much of a problem, but not when it's a brand new model that the market has barely had time to digest.

13. I can agree with that but I've bought 3 bikes from P&H, always had my servicing done there as well. I know it was a 'first offer' but they ignored the Pikes peak paint work and extended warranty and just offered 'book' price. He did say if we went further he would get the bike assessed and then firm up the price. However knowing it needs a £1,000 service isn't really going to encourage him to offer a lot more (he may even offer less!)

Hence I suspect I'll keep it another year, however I might ask a few other dealers for a price.

14. You can guarantee if I was buying your bike second hand from P&H they’d say ‘14500 miles, it’s just run in’ but they’ll use that against it when offering you part ex...

That’s the way of the world I guess....

15. try ProTwins:thinkingface:

16. I think its a dog eat dog world, but i am going there to buy a bike (new bike tolerance accepted) I am not going there to make a new friend! Most sales people i have had to deal with wouldn't hesitate in pulling my pants down..and certainly dont give a hoot on the fact i am spending my hard earnt!

sure profit is not a dirty word, but excessive taking the piss is! you have only got to watch dragons den to hear the numbers and mark up on items these days!

17. Well on the basis that, with Riders in Bridgewater in a relatively straight forward conversation to p/ex my late 2014 (15 plate) Pikes Peak model, which is pretty much 'mint' and circa 10k miles on the clock, they've offered me £10.3k in exchange for the 1260 MTS I'm about to place an order for.
    Go and ask for Harvey and see what he might do for you too....:)

Decent very helpful guy, which is contrary to the almost total lack of response from the Bristol branch who didn't even respond to my EOI. In spite of this being where I bought the bike originally and have had all service work done on it since ownership started. I note I rate the Bristol team highly notwithstanding this apparent lack of interest, which is probably due to mis-communication I suspect. :confounded:

• Like Like x 1
  18. Agreed, it is dog-eat-dog, but not spending the time to build relationships in any business transactions is a near-term strategy and short-sighted. You've not heard the expression "keep you friends close, but keep your enemies closer" ?

The mark-ups on cars, motorcycles and vehicles in general aren't anything close to what I suspect you think they might be. They don't have a lot of room to move. Getting you on the dealership treadmill is way more important and they'll make a cut on finance too, if indeed they aren't actually the bank providing the finance. For example - in 2014 Ford Credit generated $8 billion against the motor companies 2016 net income of under $5 billion. The financial services of some motor companies is often propping up the actual part of the business that does the metal bashing. You see plenty of awesome deals on some bikes at various times of year, but they're often dependant on taking out the finance because the finance arm is subsidising the deal - they can make more out of you on the finance than the profit on the bike, plus you'll probably want to come back to the dealer in order to settle your finance painlessly when you're ready to get something else before the end of your finance period. The bike is just an enticement to get you in the system and keep "churning" you.

Also, don't forget that Ducati is probably the top generally available "premium" brand, and if dealers kept discounting then the exclusivity factor is quickly diminished as they join a race to the bottom with every other manufacturer. They won't stay dealers for long if they drop their pants all the time. Not the best analogy, but imagine how to successful you'd be at trying to play one Ferrari dealer against another.

19. oh i never said i wouldn't smart the salesperson... if thats keeping your enemy closer, but i wouldn't buy the bull thats spouted, have you ever heard of honesty and integrity...i can remember hearing a sales person referring to customers as victims!

20. I've heard that expression, but I've also heard that 'the enemy of your enemy is your friend' and then someone else said to me 'You are your own worst enemy', so now I don't know what to think?

• Funny Funny x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information