1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

748 Could Someone Offer Some Advice Please

Discussion in '748 / 916 / 996 / 998' started by Maddogpom, Sep 13, 2018.

1. Ducati 748s 30,000 miles just pulled my clutch apart and concern over wear. Started to make unusual sound. Also I noticed that it uses steel and sintered plates but there was also a single fibre plate as well. I thought this was unusual.
    The clutch basket looks badly worn to me please correct if I'm wrong.
    Also if I need to replace clutch assembly would anyone recommend any specific clutchassembly.

Many thanks all much appreciated [​IMG][​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  2. The pics do not appear to...errr...appear.

30K miles - clutch likely to be trashed if it is original (I doubt it is).

There are many different options available to replace. Most aftermarket options are cheaper than buying Ducati parts.

I will chuck my hat in the ring: STM 48T 6 Post Slipper

Good luck!

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Thanks for your reply just checked the pictures and they are appearing on both my Mac and phone. I've cleaned and reassembled, have taken for a test run and seems okay.

4. Would love to see thepics. My sub 10k 748r had a new basket and pack and had previously been sympathetically used. Yes it's a dry slipper but point being that they can be fragile things. I would bet that whilst it may seem fine it may play up again unless during reassembly you've found and fixed what may have been causing fault?

5. The additional plate may have been to compensate for wear and to achieve a specific pack height

6. Thanks for your reply RC1, I have brought this from Australia. It had sat for 5 years well prepared, dry and safe. Had quite a few issues dead ECU, fuel pump, hoses etc. Had a full 12k service done when it arrived. But looks like they didn't do anything to the clutch, as they should have done. But I seem to have fixed the exsecive noise and grabbing.

7. Good stuff

What did you do to cure it in the end?

8. IMG_20180912_152942.jpg IMG_20180912_152838~01__01~01.jpg

9. :scream::skull::poop: Mate, that is well beyond replacement. Andy

• Agree Agree x 5
  10. It's well passed best. The basket that I had replaced was nowhere near as bad as the one pictured.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Many thanks for the response, regarding my clutch. Very much appreciated, next question can you recommend which replacement is both reliable and at a fair price. Seen some from the US for nearly £500 complete assembly.

12. They are expensive no matter what. Rickys recommendation is a proven one. They do come up used on ebay.

13. Sigma do clutch kits

14. As an option you could consider a Barnett basket. I have the Barnett alloy basket with stainless inserts and use alloy plates (usually oem as they last better than Surflex and other cheap ones as the oem plates are thicker on the tangs). The Barnett basket has done 26k miles and there is no notching, original basket was like yours but at 14k miles. Only issue is the clearances specced in the factory manual have to be ignored as the tangs and clearances for new plates exceed the spec of 0.6mm and the noise is different

15. What do you intend to use the bike for? If just road use there's no need for an expensive slipper clutch, a new basket and cluch plates can be purchased for as little as £120 a top quality stm 48 T basket and plates can be had for around £350 your choice really.
    Steve

• Like Like x 1
  16. Well I'm heading to 65 young so I'm not gettimg ready for the MotoGP. But enjoy the exilerating acceleration. Have owned for 12 years and love it. Just a weekend toy to be fair no racetrack stuff and not into trying to impress.

17. Then I would suggest just like for like replacement, I'm the same age and love my 748, it has the 853 upgrade and I have an stm slipper clutch which was fitted but has been on the shelf in the garage for two years now.
    Steve

Do Not Sell My Personal Information