1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1260 Couple Of Issues

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by Groundhog, May 11, 2018.

1. Picked up my 1260s three weeks ago and absolutely love the bike. I do have a couple of issues though.
    Firstly, on a few occasions when accelerating the power has just died for a second, then come back on again. It feels a little like a big intervention from the traction control, but I'm sure it's not that as it has happened on dry clean roads and not under particularly hard acceleration.
    Second and a bit disconcerting - occasionally when I downshift manually with the clutch, the engine does a little surge as I let out the clutch, it's only for a split second. It's almost like a slightly elongated auto blip, and as I said a bit disconcerting! I would be interested to hear if anyone has had similar issues?
    The third thing is the wait for my touring pack. According to the dealer there's no sign of it arriving anytime soon, and my comfort seat is apparently due in July! Is this sort of delay normal with Ducati? The Multi is my first ever Ducati. It's in for the 600 mile service next week so hopefully they can deal with the problems.
    Having said all that, I love the bike, it is everything I thought and hoped it would be....and some. The bike is addictive and at the end of every ride I'm thinking about the next one. It has been difficult to reign myself in from going over the mileage before the first service!:)

#1 Groundhog, May 11, 2018
    Last edited: May 11, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Mention your issues at the service. They will sort it. We can’t.

3. No such problems with mine, 600 service yesterday, had my spot lights fitted and navihalter connected for sat nav, I’m sure the dealer will sort the niggles. Top box and panniers fit from previous model so not sure what delay would be

• Like Like x 1
  4. If you read my post I said I was going to mention it at the service. I wasn't expecting anyone on here to sort it! I was just curious to see if anyone else had the same things happen. I thought that was the one of the things forums were about.

• Like Like x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  5. Cheers

6. I thought this was a motorcycle forum, meant for sharing experiences and discussing motorcycles :thinkingface:

I’ve had previously issues on a new bike where the dealer has not been able to diagnose the issue, and using a forum like this has helped shed some light on the situation. Also, building up a record of things like this will help others further down the line.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Exactly:upyeah: That was my whole point of putting on the post. Not to criticise the bike or Ducati, just to see if anyone had any ideas or opinions to help me, or others who may be experiencing the same problems to better understand them. I've had a number of occasions on other forums with other bikes where forum members have helped when the dealer hasn't.

8. In my opinion, if you have a new bike with “issues” then you take it right back to the dealer and get them sorted.

If you have an older bike that has issues that the dealer or the manufacturer no longer has a responsibility for or if you want to alter or “improve” your bike then yes, I’d agree the forum is the place to come and ask questions.

If you don’t get what you deem to be a satisfactory answer or solution to your questions from either the dealer or manufacturer then by all means ask the forum for advice on how to deal with it next. But try them first.

Otherwise a forum just becomes a place to bitch about perceived negatives and no one ever talks or praises the positives.

Just my opinion of course.

9. Yes, of course you take new bike issues to the dealer which is exactly what I will be doing at my 600 mile service, and I said so in my post. That doesn't mean you should not discuss 'issues' on the forum, whatever they may be, that is the point of a forum. The more you ask the more you learn, new bike or old. I was not bitching or being negative, and I also praised the bike - I love it!

10. So don’t talk about issues on new bikes, right, makes perfect sense................ without all ends of the spectrum it just becomes a place for fanboys with rose tinted glasses.

When my brand new Aprilia was loosing power it was definitely useful to share that experience with other owners, especially when the manufacturer could not diagnose the issue.

If the problem is sorted or not, hopefully the OP will share his experiences, helping someone else out in the future.

• Agree Agree x 4
  11. Yes I agree. There are always glitches with new models of any manufacturer, and the more they are discussed on a forum (as well as with the dealer) the more we can all benefit. I really can't see how anyone can see that as a bad thing. And yes, I will share what the outcome is after my service on Wednesday.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Back to the OP post - Now on 2,400m with the 1260.
    Not had the first issue you mention when accelerating in the selected gear. it has taken me a while to get used to the QS and if accelerating and then changing up you need to be on the throttle and use the QS to change up, if you touch the clutch on the up change it can confuse the revs, I now leave it to the QS to sort it out.
    Second point again let the QS sort it out, pulling the clutch in and changing gear can get a blip in the revs, seems to me that it depends how fully you pull in the clutch. I now only use the clutch on 1st to 2nd and vice versa.
    And yes it is a great bike - best Mutli so far!

• Useful Useful x 1
  13. @Groundhog May I ask whether you have owned or ridden bikes with a QS before? Or is your lovely new 1260 the first? So what I mean is, are you comparing the QS on the 1260 with other QS systems you are accustomed to? Or are you describing your process in learning how to use QS generally?

14. What you say about how much you pull in the clutch changing down is interesting, maybe that explains what's been happening with me. I agree about the QS, that works great. As you say - on the throttle, and also a positive change and it's nice and smooth. Useful comments, thanks :upyeah:

15. Pete, I have only ridden with a QS once before the Multi with an MT10 on a test ride, not really long enough to see how it performs. So yes I'm new to quick shifters, and to Ducati's. I have no problem at all using the QS up or down it works great, but what Veetwin says about how much the clutch is pulled in on normal gear changes could explain what I have experienced?

• Like Like x 1
  16. I understand your observation on the blip when using clutch, I have 760 miles and dropped it off for servive today, I was not wearing earplugs and could hear the blip, not a problem.
    Had an after market quick shifter on my 2015 DVT and the 1260 is better, my advice is be Direct and Positive when shifting with any quickshifter. I did get a couple of issues from 5th to 6th initially and it was me not Hitting it hard!
    Heated grips and centre standing also being fitted, it was cold this morning in Wales 2deg!
    PS - You boys are costing me a fortune, who ever planted the seed that tyre pressure monitors were available is in trouble as I just couldnt resist!

• Like Like x 1
  17. Blinking heck boyo that's a heat wave that is mun :blush:

When I had a short test ride on the 1260, I think I might have been a little to mechanically sympathetic, so didn't gell with it, but I didn't notice any of the problems you lads have had.

• Useful Useful x 1
  18. When you use the clutch there shouldn't be an auto-blip. At least neither my GSw or my SA-S (both had/have QS) would blip when using the clutch - only without the clutch on downshift.

Parts for a new model can be delayed - not uncommon for Ducati or other brands. fwiw Ducati has gotten pretty good with quick turnaround on parts - nothing like it was 10 years ago.

• Useful Useful x 1
  19. On it like a car bonnet.

I can completely concur with the OP experience.

Firstly the drop in power then it coming back in again, is a phantom upshift which I believe to be caused by a failing or faulty quickshifter load-cell. Mine has been diagnosed as faulty and is in for a replacement next week. My fault has gotten much worse as it now goes through periods of completely refusing to do an upshift as it's not sensing the pressure correctly and sending the correct voltage to the ECU to tell it to cut throttle to allow the shift to happen.

Down shifts work ok for the most part, however I've also experience the "over blip" where it blips too much and causes the bike to surge forward on the downshift. A while ago I tried doing a tyre recalibration and it's not happened since. I don't know if it's supposed to make a difference as it's not documented anywhere but logic tells me it could, since the system would need final-drive ratio and road-speed data in order to determine how much of a blip of throttle is needed at a given speed and gear.

It has absolutely nothing to do with using the clutch. Using the clutch would certainly create confusion, but I'm experiencing exactly the same as the OP and I'm definitely not using the clutch. I've got other bikes with a QS and I'm very familiar with the operation.

• Useful Useful x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information