1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

749 Crank Case Breather

Discussion in '749 / 999' started by Spjallen, Oct 21, 2017.

1. Hi Guys. I'm having problems with oil seeping out of the clutch on my 749 race bike. It's fine when idling but underload it seeps. I'm not 100 % if it's through the push rod or behind the clutch basket so changed all of the seals including the main one on the clutch housing, seal on the primary gear, one on the basket spacer, push rod and thee two embedded seals and the small one it goes through. I've also changed the one behind the main clutch nut top hat. If that doesn't cure it, maybe it's piston ring change time.
    Last chance before I strip the engine? My question is has anyone used the breather system in the photo attached? They're from Moto Rapidio. I've had issues with the stock breather before.

Crankcase breather revision.jpg

2. No, but very interested as I've been using oil on my 999 on TDs. Opened it up today and found oil in the OEM tube that connects to the breather.

How much oil do you use?

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. That's useful across that generation of motor. Thank you. Andy

• Like Like x 2
  4. Thanks for the reply.
    I'm not using any as I'll get black flagged leaking oil and I don't fancy any on the rear tyre! I've just read that article too! Great article. They're £133.

5. I'm using oil but not black flagged. I'm hoping it's in the air box....

• Like Like x 1
  6. How much are you using?

7. About 350ml per TD + 200 road mls so roughly 300mls. Last TD was particularly high reviving due to nature of track. Road miles are all "spirited" too. I'm also told Motul is particularly bad for blow by at high revs.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Do you have that kit on post 1?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Not yet. Not sure I'm curing or by passing the problem!

• Like Like x 1
  10. judt bought one. With DSC discount it was just under £120. Happy days.

11. If you are seeping oil through the clutch, why are you changing the breather or thinking the piston rings may be going?

12. Over pressurising the crank cases ? Andy

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  13. ah, makes sense.

14. Assuming you changed the oil seal in the output shaft? (clutch end, by the bearing that the pushrod goes through) If so, are you sure you fitted it the correct way round?

Because if you fit it backwards, with the 'lip' pointing outwards (it's small so not that easy to see) it may continue leaking oil into the clutch!

Don't ask how I know... :blush:

• Like Like x 4
    • Useful Useful x 1
  15. Yes a good point! No it's seated the right way.

How do you know?!

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. @Spjallen what's the idea of the 3 outlets on that breather/diverter you showed in the first post?

• Like Like x 1
  17. The idea is to reduce crank case pressure.

The three outlet junction screws into the existing crank case breather. One pipe goes to the normal breather route. One goes to the oil filler cap and the final one becomes the new oil filler.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  18. Interesting. Does this mean even less power loss than the oem system, which is basically retained or not??

19. cool

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information