1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Crankshaft Oil Seal Direction?

Discussion in 'Supersport (1974-2007)' started by Samurai, May 23, 2020.

1. Without doubt, the only way to proceed, and with the correct/best quality seal for the job as it's a real investment in the quality of the finished assembly. You are happy with the shaft diameter? - i'm sure it will be fine.

2. Yes, the shaft looks fine and the seal is supplied by Ducati so the quality shouldn't be in question. Sure it'll be Ok, just seems wrong :confused:.

Thanks for all the input guys, gives me a bit more confidence that I hadn't missed a trick and that the seal IS fitted that way round. Still love to understand why though oneday, as I just hate not understanding?

• Like Like x 1
  3. Hi, just found your post so this info may be a little late to help. Had the same problem with my 750ss, i realised getting this seal out was going to be difficult so took case to an engineering shop and he pulled seal and bush out together with an internal puller. It took one swing on the slide hammer. As to the seal direction the only info i could find was that the seal acts as a crude relief valve to allow cold high pressure oil to flow past it, if the seal was the 'correct' way the cold oil could cause the seal to invert and possibly dislodge the seal spring which could end up in the crank. I did ask a few well known Ducati tech's, none could give a reason but said replace as found--Ducati knew what they were doing. Hope you sorted yours Regards, Philip.

4. Hi Philip, many thanks for taking the trouble to reply, although as you suspected I've now reassembled the bike and replaced the seal as I found it.

The reason you give does at least make some kind of sense and I'm sure that Ducati must have had their reasons and this is the best I've heard so far. Well, in fact it's the only one ;).

I'm currently finishing off a full service after having replaced the original knackered clutch with a 48 tooth EVR one, so I'm hoping that there are no oil leaks!

Thanks for all the input guys, much appreciated :upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information