1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

D16/ Superleggera

Discussion in 'Ducati General Discussion' started by Nervy, Apr 14, 2018.

1. Hiya,

I have a friend in Ireland who- after a horrible time this year wherein everything that could go wrong did go wrong or died- is looking for either a Desmosedici or a Superleggera (mark 2) to stare at while he recovers, then hopefully ride when recovered.

Other than ebay, does anyone know where he might find one for sale privately or at least not at Sheffield prices, please? I’d like to be able to help him find one if I can.

Also, I note that Ducati Werx are selling un-numbered mk2 SLs. I’m guessing this is still a thing worth having, but not necessarily a thing that will weather as well in terms of value. Does this mean they’ll lose money, or just mean they’ll be harder to sell?

I’d appreciate any pointers you can give please, folks. Thanks in advance.

2. @Exige .... you know about these bitsa, one offs etc.

3. XXX bikes are mainly show bikes. There are about 7/8 MK 1 1199SL's in addition to the official 500. With D16's they're an additional 25 made for Italian customers only.

4. History says they will be worth more in the future :thinkingface:
    Pro Twins have a Desmo in, not sure if it is for sale...

5. That’s teally interesting. I’d never realised they were the ones from shows.

So, for example, the xxx mark 2 SL for sale by ‘Werx on eBay- is that one to avoid on the grounds that it’s a show bike, and therefore namely not part of the official ‘limited run’?

6. Ex- not sure I understand. Sorry dude. Are you saying they won’t be worth more? I’m not good with smileys.

7. Yes it was the 1 that was on show at the NEC for EG. However as @Exige has mentioned, this could be worth more in the long run.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  8. That’s fascinating. I wish I knew how you lot knew all this stuff!

How long is the long run on things like this? My instinct says they’re less expensive than the numbered bikes for a reason (whilst still of course remaining insanely expensive) and I’m famous for heralding the end of trends by simply buying something. Likewise, just after I sell, the price goes back up.

What people don’t appreciate is that this takes more skill, if anything. Anyone can be rich. It takes real effort to stay routinely broke.

9. They will be worth more from what history tells us - a pre production CB750 (magazine test bike not prototype) sold a few years ago in America for nearly £100K while mint K0 bikes are £15K. Same all the way through the history of motorcycling. I'm surprised some have stated the normal run bikes will be more collectable, maybe times have changed - but I don't think so...

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. It's only speculation (opinion) but back it up with historical facts and that's where I am.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Thanks Ex, that’s really interesting. I’m grateful to you for explaining it to me.

If anyone knows of a D16 or SL2 for sale, please do let me know. I’d love to help my friend if I can.

12. Check if the D16 in Pro Twins is for sale that I mentioned - it might have been sold though, worth a call, they were fab to deal with today :):upyeah:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Thanks Ex. I’ll give them a call Monday.

14. I'd go desmo if it were me.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. I said that too, as I could not have loved mine more, but I think he’s slightly keener on an SL because I haven’t had one. I think I sort of understand that.

What I don’t understand is him preferring the exhausts. Though admittedly they have grown on me.

16. The sl is an amazing bike for sure, but there is something very special about a desmocidici.

• Agree Agree x 5
  17. My raging tinnitus from two years of D16 ownership agrees with you.

• Like Like x 2
  18. When you're about to land many tens of thousands into their coffers everyone is fab to deal with. They're great guys especially Rob, but they will bill you even for a cable tie replaced in a service.

Their regular clientelle pour money into their till like it's tap water, and spend the sort of money that would make sheffield weep. It's definitely the upper end of the ducati owning boutique experience.

I'd definitely go desmo. :)

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. I thought the deal was good and the bike was very competitively priced too so all good - but yes your words make sense...

20. Oh don't get me wrong Stu, they're good guys, rob really knows his shit, but when you've got a bloke walking in there going "I've spent 50k on my 996 already and I just wonder what else I can do to it.." your jaw just slams to the floor.

They undercharged me for a reservoir pot many years ago for the SS, I rand them and told them, and gawd bless'em they thanked me profusely and asked if I wouldn't mind paying the difference please over the phone.

When Bike torque racing got an order wrong and failed to send me a master cylinder by comparison, and instead sent me three big capacity brembo reservoirs they let me keep all the stuff they'd sent me by mistake as a gesture.

How did you get to hear about the bike anyway? did you just call speculatively?

Do Not Sell My Personal Information