1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

899 Damage Found On Camshafts!!

Discussion in 'Panigale' started by Biot, Jul 27, 2021.

1. Just had a call from my local dealer.
    Bike in for Desmo service and they’ve found moisture damage to camshafts and followers.
    Anyone else had this on their Pani.
    Bike lives in garage which is part of my house; not stuck out on its own. I don’t ride throughout winter and only been caught out in rain a few times.
    Full Ducati service history and has done 15000 miles.
    Really really peeved also been told my rad leak is due to corrosion. So new one of those needed to.

2. 15 k, fsh and moisture damage? What a joke, not fit for purpose, unless you have been using it as an anchor. I would be asking Ducati to foot a large part, or all of the bill.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Do you ever start the bike up and let it idle (especially during the winter), without taking it for a proper run?

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Water ingress on the engine? Surely it should be impossible unless its been at the bottom of a lake.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. I think I'd want a second opinion on something like this. The range of possibilities with a description of "moisture damage" is broad - it could be something which is deep enough to require parts replacement, but on the other hand could be something that can polish out.

6. Don’t let it idle then turn off. During colder months I take my GS out, so 899 used in warmer months.

7. Sounds good, although if you've not owned the bike from new, the actions of previous owners remains an unknown.

8. I’d wager a lot of Ducati’s have internal corrosion from not being run, being run for short periods of time. Or being left running at idle tbh

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. i know the first owner very well and it has a full service history. Even before setting off I let it warm up.
    My GS has done 40,000 in all weathers and no problems with its camshafts.

• Like Like x 1
  10. I have a spare reliable bike too, close to 30 k and no issues.

• Like Like x 1
  11. There is a difference between water staining and actual damage. Ask to be shown the problem an post some pics.
    If you cant feel it with your fingertip or catch it with your nail it should be ok.

• Agree Agree x 3
  12. Not a gasket issue possibly, coolant etc?

13. Rad also corroded so new one needed.
    Seeing dealer Saturday and I’ll inspect the shafts and take pics.

14. Could be a gasket issue tbf. Rad shouldn’t be corroding if it’s got legit coolant in it. They corrode when people stick tap water in them

15. As I’ve said. Fill Ducati service history so all a bit odd.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Hope its not like this :thinkingface:
    20190530_123507.jpg

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • WTF WTF x 1

17. That’s means diddly squat. The vast majority of dealer techs are shite sadly as there’s bugger all money in the trade these days.

This shouldn’t be a difficult thing to trace in my opinion

18. That sucks fella…. Hope you get it resolved :upyeah: can’t say I miss all the Bullshit main stealers bollocks! :rolleyes:

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Cheers Dave.
    Dealer has been helpful when my Multistrada fell apart so will see what they say.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Considering the bike has been well cared for and serviced at the correct intervals I don’t see why it shouldn’t be some kind of good will gesture for the costs, or least a sizeable chunk! Its not like the bikes been to the moon and back with one oil and filter change! ….. It shouldn’t even be questionable if it’s a catastrophic failure of material or case hardening process then someone needs to take responsibility…. Hopefully they don’t do that sucking through the teeth noise before dropping a bombshell! ….. Keep us posted with full prognosis :upyeah:

Do Not Sell My Personal Information