1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dark Visors

Discussion in 'Clothing, Gadgets & Equipment' started by Gary Warren, Apr 25, 2020.

1. I've used dark visors for years without problem. I've always got a clear one (or legal tint) with me. So, if I was ever stopped, then I could show that I'm fine for riding home if it gets late.

My impression is that we've reached the lazy days of law enforcement. When you can just park up on the M4 with a speed camera going, "ping, ping, ping..." and most people will just plead guilty by post and pay the fine, then why hassle yourself?

The only problem that I can see now (forgive the pun!), is that I had my accident going home from work in March. It would of been getting dark and because my route was South East in the morning, then I would often wear a dark visor to work but change to clear to go home when it was getting dark, or if it was just dull because it was raining. If I had been wearing a dark visor when he other car pulled out on me then the copper would have put it in his report and may of prosecuted me. That would f%%k my claim up as well!

So, now, I'm not sure. You can bet that if you have an accident that is not your fault, then the visor will be bought up to save the insurance company paying out. They are ruthless b0sta3rds!

Trouble I've found with the vari-tint visors is that because they are legal, then they don't go dark enough...

Might look at sunglasses, but they are not great because you can just flip up a visor. Going through tunnels around Mount Blanc years ago, those of us with dark visor just flipped them up, whereas a mate who used to get all sanctimonious and wear dark glasse was f__ked. We left him in the tunnel doing about 20mph!

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. To save anyone the pain, the AGV one is shocking. Avoid.

• Useful Useful x 1
  3. I bought one from motocard for £135

• Like Like x 1
  4. 043EF8B1-EA28-423A-9901-0BA28A483BF8.jpeg 65F61E53-3606-4E74-B874-598B4F23EAE9.jpeg 8B56745C-D061-4157-A69E-387B61B1B9EE.jpeg I have had the pinlock version in my Arai for years now, ok it only goes to light legal tint, just taken some pics, from clear inside to tinted in the sunlight.

5. And before the wise cracks the doll is absolutely fine and well.
    428CB7B1-2731-4C94-9E1C-9CD44E748A44.jpeg

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. Same again....dark visors for the last 30 years....go back 30 years ago and plod would immediately pick you up on it, but now, theyre getting lazy, even to the point ive gone past traffic persuit cars, exhaust popping, 7x5 plate hidden away, simpson helmet with a black visor...expecting to get pulled but nothing. As long as your not riding like a twat (and even if you are) keep your eyes open. Personally if i see a copper and ive got simpson on (ive not got a bandit but an indy car lid) so not that obvious but it does have a very black visor, ill simply lift it up....if i copper gets eye contact then the visor above doesnt even register on the nick-o-meter....

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Could be the pics, but that looks quite dark to me. And you use Arai which I do (although got to buy a new one because I most certainy got a good smack on the head in my accident). Helmet looks fine but I'm not risking it! I have used pinlock before for anti-misting clear visors in the past. I'll think that I shall give it another go when I get back to riding!

Thanks for the pics - useful.

8. Rode with dark tint visor on my Arai but always had a clear one with me in case the weather changed dramatically or was out after dusk. Never had as problem with the law. Tunnel or shady bit of road I just flipped the visor open, not ideal granted.

Then I changed to a Shoei GT Air about 4 years ago. Better fitting visor for a start, no drafts. Plus the integral flip down internal dark visor, has it's flaws but IMHO it's a better solution.

• Like Like x 2
  9. I bought the Shoei a few years back. I found the flip visor not dark enough (because it was legal) and when I got a "proper" dark visor, I found the visor change mechanism too awkward with a dark visor - so, I went back to Arai.

10. 96870F86-4C90-46AF-A706-34055AA813D5.jpeg
    From the pic you can see it goes quite dark and Arai visors are a pain to change, the pinlocks are a good solution

11. Strange. I've always found Arai visors really easy to change. Even with pinlock, I would still go for two visors, I expect. One with a clear insert and one with a dark. Could be me , though!

12. Arai are a doddle. There’s a knack though. X4 is a faff but the others are fine.

13. There is definitely a knack to changing them , unfortunately i just end up breaking the side pods, don’t have a problem with other brands.

14. I always run black visors. Only once did it start to become an issue, when I got lost in France en-route to Germany for the night ....

I still managed by lifting the visor out of my line of sight and slowing down a bit. I did have a clear visor, but didn't really want to stop on the autobahn and swap over so I just kept rolling on.

15. 61583997-AE28-44DC-8620-89D68A9CB5DC.jpeg 5AC87A15-3C81-476C-BA14-A091F709B0F7.jpeg Always use dark visor - to be honest most of the time the darker the better for me - never been an issue, usually end up with a mirrored visor
    Personal choice

• Like Like x 1
  16. Thanks for all your photos and advice peps. Much appreciated

17. Ive had a dark tinted visor since i started road riding 12 years ago.

Never had a problem & ive had encounters with the police & they never say anything.

18. I’ve always ridden with a fully dark tint on this basis..

When you pull up beside cars at the lights etc on your beautiful Ducati..

They hear the wonderful sound and go Wow!

They see your beautiful Italian masterpiece of a bike and go Wow!

They then look up to see who’s riding such a wonderful bike? Tom Cruise perhaps? David Beckham? Well let’s just say the dark visor keeps them guessing and that’s the way I like it... X

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information