1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dark Visors

Discussion in 'Clothing, Gadgets & Equipment' started by Gary Warren, Apr 25, 2020.

1. I ride full dark tint all year. It's bad on a country road at night, but helps with incoming headlights, which seem to be getting higher and brighter. Nightmare if it's raining, but what isn't?
    I regularly ride home on dark country roads in the rain btw.

2. i have this too, i got a good pcp deal on it

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. I’ve worn a mirrored visor for 25yrs. Never had a problem.
    I spoke to a traffic cop about them “officially don’t do it...unofficially we couldn’t care less. If you’re riding like a dick we’ll do you for the visor too-but in its own, we don’t care”.

• Useful Useful x 1
  4. you crazy!!!!

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. I wouldn't worry about the cops so much as insurance. If you have an accident that is not your fault, the other side's insurance company will do anything to get out of paying.

I crashed at Brands Hatch in a proddie race about 35 years ago. A consequence of which, I got concussion and spent a night in hospital. Now I have the other side's insurance company trying to bring that up to show what a holigan I am.

If I had been wearing a dark visor then that's me f**ked!

• WTF WTF x 1
  6. tbh the only time ive been involved in an accident on the bike where the cops were called, they took little notice of the lid, save note that i was wearing one. the insurance companies on either side never probed further.
    then again it was a minor incident, perhaps if it was more serious they may have been more interested.

7. I have the slight orange tint irridium mirror on my Shoei, and never had an issue with plod, but have also ridden with very dark or mirrored tinted visors since God was a kid, never had an issue with the strong arm at any point. :cool:

8. I carry a clear with me.
    The worst time for clear visors is wet roads with bright sun reflecting back off them.
    Tried all combinations, had an internal flip down visor, didnt like looking through two layers. Also, misting up problems on humid days around the Alps. Outer visor fine with pinlock (until it popped out) drop down tint steamed up. Now just use a good quality race tint visor with pinlock.

The crap helmet was a Shark. Other problems apart from the pinlock dropping out (correct one for helmet) was main liner coming loose in shell, decals chipping after very light use, seat belt type chin strap did not lock one day, so would have come straight off in an accident.

Ultimate for bright weather is a peaked helmet with a dark visor. Bright days the sun reflects off your face on to the inside surface of the visor. Try next time your out putting your hand over the top of the visor to keep out the sun, you will be surprised. Peak makes a dramatic improvement. Gives me a bad neck though with the extra resistance caused.

#48 J biker, Apr 27, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  9. A couple of years back on my local 'circuit' I passed by 2 bike cops travelling in the other direction, both were wearing dark visors...

10. Their pursuing it after 35 years without a word ?? That's a typo right ??

11. I’ve always ridden with a road legal tint, but now my commute goes into the sun on the way to work and into it on the way home so I’m going to have to use a dark one, that said I’ll more than likely carry a clear one with me. The photo chromatic ones are quite cool but I get migraines sometimes from eye strain and fine the changes tiring on my eyes

12. Also - whilst I do use a mirrored visor (which is dark tint) I carry a clear one with me if I'm coming home in the dark. They're easy to carry as they can wrap around your waste.

13. Something like this might work for some if they run with a clear visor. It's a flip down 'bell-end' I mean 'fighter pilot' sort of thing.
    I've went with the black on black combination as I'm closer to the sun way up here in Northern Ireland.

Helmet 1.JPG Helmet 2.JPG

14. Always used a dark tint visor and never carried a spare clear one apart from one exception.

Look through the forums and most of the riding appears to be in the day time and generally in good weather. The only time I have carried a clear visor as a second visor is when we went on tour, whether in the U.K. or riding around europe. It's those times when people sometimes push on into the evening just to meet a miles per day targets .

I have tried dropped down internal dark visors but as I normally wear contacts, on those occasions my eyes are dry and glasses have been needed, I found the inner visor sometimes clashes with glasses. Just to add as some others have mentioned, I've never been stopped by plod for wearing a dark visor.

15. I use a dark visor, never had a problem, but I'll have a clear with me in case it gets dark - it at least shows the police you're thinking about it if you do get stopped.

Assuming I'm on the road in a part of the year where you need dark and light, the Arai Pro Shade is a superb bit of kit. Pricey, but once you use it, you'll be very glad

• Lock Thread Lock Thread x 1
  16. I'll look into that as I use Arai.

I'm not at all worried about the cops but just insurance.

17. I wasn't clear - as usual! I was racing at Brands on the long circuit and crashed at Surtees (as you do - well I did!). Although nobody sent me to the medical centre it was clear that I had bashed my head. I couldn't drive the car but somehow (other people must of helped) we loaded the car and the bike on the trailer, and my girlfriend drove to my brother who, at that time, lived in Crawley. My brother took me to Crawley hospital and they kept me in for the night. I was OK in the morning but during the evening, I didn't know a thing - like where I was!

Somehow, Hastings insurance have found out and want more details to prove that I am a mad f**ker and don't deserve a penny in compensation for being knocked off my bike about 35 years later.

My solicitor wanted full details because she wants to be prepared if she takes them to court - which she probably will.

18. It's a cracking system - read any review of it, it's almost always 10/10. The newer ones don't use detents, they stay up by magic! And unlike internal visor systems, no shock absorbing material is removed to make way for it.

19. Just looked on The Visor Shop website. Not cheap but worth a try.

20. Pro shade looked good as I have a Arai axces 3. Only two reviews one was positive the other said if you raise the main visor to allow a small amount of air in the edge of the tinted internal one is right in your eyeline ?

Do Not Sell My Personal Information