1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dark Visors

Discussion in 'Clothing, Gadgets & Equipment' started by Gary Warren, Apr 25, 2020.

1. Just tested and you'd have a gap of well over 1cm in order to have that happen - and that's an enormous amount to open your visor if you're at speed. I suppose if you're in town and want to open your visor a lot, then yeah, that could be an issue, but I've not run into that in years of using one. I'd be more worried of grit and stuff going in my eyes than the dark visor being in my eyeline.

The other neat thing is if the sun is just at an annoying angle, you can raise the dark visor to work as a peak, and just block the sun.

2. I travel to work going east in the morning & west coming home so always riding into the sun. Added to that I have to go through Blackwall tunnel so I’ve tried various options.
    A clear visor means I risk being blinded by the low sun so in daylight I always use a dark visor, which I can flip up in the tunnel.

Unless it’s pitch black I dont find a dark visor a problem.

3. Exactly the same for me. I have an Arai and two visors but I bought a Shoei GT air with the internal tinted visor and it’s a much better helmet all round. I love the internal flip up visor, especially going in and out of tunnels.

What would I buy next time? A Shoei GT air 2. Absolutely no doubt.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Went out yesterday on the bike (to the shops of course) with race dark visor on. Got stuck at traffic lights with another loud bike behind me, looked up & in front of car was a unmarked police bike, he turned round on hearing us flipped his helmet opened & just gave a nod! It was so fast I didn’t have time to lift visor as I’d normally do. Lights turned green & off I went.
    Wasn’t bothered at all !

• Like Like x 2
  5. Time was, now showing my age, there was ‘the rule of three’. Having a small number plate, a loud exhaust and a dark visor was guaranteed to get you stopped and your collar felt. Not sure if it’s the internal bureaucracy traffic officers have to go through to report this type of petty transgression or that there are so few traffic officers out and about, they have bigger fish to fry but it does certainly seem bike mounted traffic officers are more laid back than they used to be. We often have 1 or 2 bike traffic officers turn up to our monthly IAM Roadsmart meeting for a chin wag, a coffee and a bacon roll. No talk of ‘that’s loud’ or ‘call that a number plate ?’, mostly just wanting to chat about bikes in general and being sociable. Andy

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  6. I’ve only ever made sure my plates are legal, as all the times I’ve been stopped its never been about the pipe or the visors, always about the plates.

• Like Like x 2
  7. First time I went out on the new bike few months ago I wore my race helmet, dark tint! I got a few miles down the road and had to turn back! Was bloody impossible! Now I use a clear visor with a tinted tear off! Perfect ! And if it starts getting dark you don’t even have to stop! Just rip it off on the fly!!

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information