1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Darwin Theory For Bikers A1 Stevenage

Discussion in 'Ducati General Discussion' started by Diver, May 15, 2017.

1. In a risk-averse culture, the existence of professional and amateur boxing represents an astonishing anachronism/anomaly.
    I'm not making an argument here, only an undeniable observation.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Insurance appears to be moving away from a collective sharing of risk to an individual gamble, a classic left vs right dichotomy.

3. I will wear what the law tells me that I must wear on my bike, helmet and gloves here. If anyone else considers that they have any say over what else I wear then they can p1ss off. My bike, my body.

• Like Like x 3
  4. It's inevitable.
    If you're an insurance company, what you are looking for is to maximise premiums and reduce payouts. In fact, if you don't have to pay out anything, you're on to a winner. So they seek out the "best risks" and refuse to insure poor risks. The idea is to reduce collective responsibility.
    If this is allowed, then the smokers, drinkers, motorcycle riders, base-jumpers, pot-holers, the obese, the unfit, the genetically challenged etc etc will find healthcare beyond their means. Only the young, super-fit, squeaky clean will have access to health care, but they won't need it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. It was the speed, the weaving, and the removal of rear number plates that caught my eye

• Like Like x 1
  6. I agree with you - which is an anomaly in itself.

Ancient fighting sports such as horseback jousting, sword-fighting, spear-throwing, and pistol-shooting have gradually evolved into non-lethal forms. Fencing is a case in point, now totally harm-free. Boxing has thus become an astonishing anachronism as you rightly say. Its amateur form, which is mainly about skill and point-scoring, may continue indefinitely alongside judo etc. But I cannot see the professional form lasting much longer, unless it transforms into some kind of staged pantomime performance like wrestling.

7. I have had many spills, breaking many bones over the years. In the 80's I couldn't afford decent gear and the results speak for themselves. Today, I just don't feel right getting on a bike without a decent level of protection.

8. If youve got a 50p head, wear a 50p crash hat.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Why do you feel the need to defend bikers?
    Are you a Barrister?

10. What about UFC?While money is made,these sports will continue.

11. Because I'm a biker my sons a biker my brothers a biker, my Father was a biker we are all hit by high insurance costs, bad press, blame culture in an accident etc etc all the things these dick heads justify in the afore-mentioned

• Like Like x 2
  12. Once professional boxing promoters and participants find themselves being sued for large sums of damages and prosecuted for serious criminal offences, they may decide to reform.

13. So, you remove the number plate for what reason. You are going to ride like an idiot. But why stop there after all you are untouchable. You can outrun the police so hey why bother with insurance. For that matter why buy a bike when you can just go out and nick one you are untraceable.
    These people aren't motorcyclists they are idiots just passing through. Unfortunately members of the public don't see them this way just another group of organ donors that the legislative forces will use as stats to damage our hobby/passion.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Who do you defend bikers to, insurance companies, the media the bloke down the pub? None of this will change anyone's views, or indeed, lower insurance premiums.

You can't defend complete collective of motorcyclists, because there are bad apples in all circles, not just in motorcycling.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  15. ok.....

16. Trying not to defend idiots, but sometimes I wonder if being more vulnerable (no helmet no leathers etc.,) makes you a better motorcyclist or should I say an even more careful motorcyclist. I know in my instance I ride differently when I have a set of leathers on compared to when I don't.
    Can you imagine how much better car drivers would be, if you had a 1lbs of explosives under the drivers seat with a detonator behind the front and rear bumper with a 12ins steel spike in the centre of the steering wheel instead of an airbag ?

And I think it would be the start of a very slippery slope if you start if metering health care by the risks other people perceive that you took.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Lots of people like to think life is black and white: it's easy to determine what the right thing is. The truth is, life isn't like that. For all the arguments against, there are some for. I agree with you, that personal freedom of choice for the many is worth more than accommodating a few idiots, and I would happily pay the extra if it retains freedom of choice. The best things in life aren't always free.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Fuck me you Poms are becoming a bunch of Nancies, live and let live.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  19. I'm currently in Barcelona and the city is full of scantily clad crazies, and not just bikers.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Love Barca. Wonderful, wonderful city. Eat/Drink in Born. Theres a great food place on lhs at end of road to that market thing. They do black pudding as a tapas. Its fucking nice. Honest. Plus fillet steak on min toasted roll with chilli pepper on which is gorgeous. Esp with the Estrella, which looks like its brewed on the spot.

Cant wait to visit again. Fab place and the Catalans are ace.

• Agree Agree x 3
Do Not Sell My Personal Information