1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1198 Dash And Head Light Loss

Discussion in '848 / 1098 / 1198' started by cookster, Sep 7, 2016.

1. Hi chaps I've got a bit of a problem with my bike I've noticed every now and then my dash and headlight turn off for a brief moment them come back on again it doesn't lose power or anything but it's quite annoying at night as I can't see!!! It starts OK and have no fault codes coming up. Any ideas guys??? Cheers.

2. Usually happens when the voltage drops. Power is dropped to the dash to keep the ECU powered. As the dash controls the headlight relay you lose that as well. Check your battery and reg/rec with a meter. Could be a good opportunity to do the reg/rec upgrade anyway. Also if you have been riding in heavy rain then this can also cause this. Happened to me last year on the Autoroute in France but I did get an OBD light as well. 20 minutes in the sunshine and all was well again.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Thanks Chris it had a new battery last year so it look at the reg/rec, when you say upgrade what do I up grade it to??

4. I'll find you a link Ali shortly of what I did (what I upgraded to)

5. Also, I had the exact same thing happen to me a fair few times as to what has happened to you, and mine was also after a massive downpour (the type where the rain hits the ground so hard it comes back up again), so I believe it is quite common.

Can't find the eBay link but I got my Mosfet regulator from here - Motorcycles, motorbikes, motorbike accessories, helmets, clothing, servicing, parts, Midlands superbikes Ask to speak to Graham, tell him you would like the kit they sell on eBay with the connectors and the cables as then it just plugs into the sockets of the existing (with a connector to the battery). Was about £100 in total.

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. @Pavey legend mate cheers :upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 3
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. Cookie, I had similar a few weeks back. Lost the front light and the dash was flickering on and off or so It seemed. Unplug the headlight connector and have a look at it, mine was frazzled. I purchased a new ceramic one and soldered it on. Not been out since but my lights ok now and not seen the dash flicker. It may be a reg/rec fault as mentioned that caused it but until I get out again I can't be sure. Not sure if a burnt out headlight connector could cause the dash to flicker, Chrisw?

• Useful Useful x 1
  8. My headlight was initially flicking on and off as described. I thought I was imagining it at first. Try the connector as said, sounds very similar to my issue.

9. I know i'm a bit late to the party but i had the same issue the other night when riding home (rather alarming, thankfully I was in a 30 limit!) I did some googling and came up with a Yamaha part number for a MOSFET reg/rec. I popped into the local Yama dealer and it turns out they're £225, so having abandoned that plan, the incredibly helpful guy in there (Tinklers, Norwich) told me he'd had a very similar problem on his Honda VFR8000 in the past. He recommended Electrex and it popped up this gem!

Regulator Rectifier for DUCATI 996, 748S, & HONDA VFR800 manufactured by Electrex World | Electrex World Ltd

Plug and play, carbon copy of the oem unit but with MOSFET innards. I've spoken to Electrex and they tell me they're back in stock mid/late this week. I''ve asked them to let me know when they're available so i'll pass on the news when i hear.

I plan on replacing my unit with one of these and i'm going to try and relocate it at the same time to keep it cooler in the first place.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Be careful where you buy your mosfet reg from. I had problems with my 1098 fans and while fiddling with them warming the bike in the garage I noticed the dash and lights flickering on and off.
    Decided while in bits I would do the upgrade. I got the leads from a Triumph dealer and bought an R1 regulator from a German firm which claimed tombs race team.
    Turned out to be a cheap Chinese copy.
    It melted in Belgium about 4 miles from Zeebrugge
    Electrex is good stuff otherwise by a secondhand Yam/Kwak/Honda one or new OEM for the jap bikes. Don't risk a Chinese one cos it's false economy. Mind you the one I bought was just short of £100. I thought I was buying something off a stripped R1 race bike

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Just as a heads up, The RR53 Reg/Rec's are back in stock with Electrex. I just paid £111 posted which i didn't think was too bad given the price of similar, MOSFET units.

They look like something that fits a huge amount of bikes so i guess they'll go pretty quickly!

12. [​IMG]

don't forget to check your Regulator connectors everyone! above pic isn't mine but reminded me of how later bikes can go the same way as 748/9*6 if ignored.

• Agree Agree x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information