1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dash Gear Indicator Error?

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by Anthil, Jul 8, 2012.

1. The sensor wears and you need a new one and a special socket set (as the pressure sensitive nipple but was a wired coming out of it!) or box spanner to fit it.
    Search under my name here for more information.

#21 AirCon, May 10, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: May 12, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Cheers Aircon,
    Great advice once again.
    I shall order a new part tomorrow.

• Like Like x 1
  3. If are are local you are welcome to come and do the swap at mine. London Heathrow.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Would take you up on that but I'm afraid the commute is a bit too far!
    I live in chester!!
    Cheers anyway!!

• Drama Queen Drama Queen x 1
  5. If only you had a motorcycle capable of crossing a continent in style?:oops:

6. I had this two years ago on my 2010 Multi. The sensor broke by the gear selector. It was pretty quick for P&H in Crawley to fix. Not had the problem since. However, there is a known issue that effects the neutral indicator which is the angle of the gear leaver. in your case i don't think it's your problem.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Hmmmm!
    Indeed, but would it get me there without breaking down????

• Drama Queen Drama Queen x 1
  8. I have ordered the new gear position indicator at a substantial cost of £87.06 plus post!
    Will post result once it's fitted!!!

9. Hi, thanks for that, I have ordered the new sensor so will post result once it's fitted!

10. Gear indicator sensor replaced. I now have a functioning bike again, wasn't much fun as the fuelling was all over the place with the fault.:Happy::Happy:

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. That's great news. glad you've got it sorted now.

12. Cheers Colt,
    only had the bike 6 weeks and sold bmw gs1200tu for it.
    hopefully no more issues!!

13. Dude...don't forget the useful likes for those of us that correctly diagnosed the issue..:Angelic:

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  14. I feel a cool chill coming from the "Aircon", belated big Thaknyou for the correct diagnosis.
    I'm sure it would have cost me a lot more than just the sensor if I had taken it in to Ducati!!:upyeah::upyeah::upyeah:

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  16. Hi, I searched for "Gear position Indicator" on the forum and came up with results for the previous MS. I have the 2015 model (DVT) and my annual service (I only have 5600 miles) was done on 3rd August. I went for a ride on Sunday 7th Aug, it rained whilst I was parked up in Falkland (not the islands). On my ride home the bike was difficult/impossible to select N on dashboard....I'd go down to 1....and click up....but no N. Sometimes it would flicker between 1 & N. Bike fueling was also jerky. So after reading the previous faults above I see mine is most likely the GPI in rear cylinder. Ducati Glasgow have ordered one for me (warranty). Interestingly though someone mentioned the "Gear Lever position"?!! Now, I have mine quite a bit down from the horizontal. It's not moved or loose.
    DG did first mention gear selector issues are sometimes down to chain adjustment. As mine was serviced 4 days prior and given an OK on chain adjustment, I didnt suspect that to be the cause.
    Thank you all for documenting your woes and I shall report on how mine is resolved shortly.

17. The gear lever position or more importantly having the same angles of the master / slave levers (on the splined shafts) are critical for a nice smooth change.
    Given the different maps for fuel and spark then engine has a fit if it thinks it's in neutral or the wrong gear.

• Useful Useful x 1
  18. I've recently had similar problems with my DVT, dealer investigated but couldn't make it happen, they said they 'reset the electronics'. One issue I had was that the bike would not show it was in Neutral, even when it was, and would refuse to start without the clutch in and stand up.

I managed to grab this short video clip of it 'flipping' even though it was in Neutral.

19. Hi @ColT good to see you around. My multi fuels badly on a steady throttle, and I've altered the gear lever angle to accommodate my new boots. Can you give me any more info. on this issue? How do I know what angle to restore the gear lever to?
    ...and @AirCon too, as his post's relevant...

20. Just had a weekend in Normandy and have this issue also. select neutral no problem but it shows 1 or 2. Then when riding it doesn't seem to be accurate, seems to miss I've changed up or down, but plays catch up when I get to 1st or 6th! I have also adjusted the position of my gear lever as it was too high and I was struggling to change up - can someone shed some more light on the linkage set up comment made by ColT? I suppose I'll pay through the nose for a new sensor?!!

Do Not Sell My Personal Information