1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dash Gear Indicator Error?

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by Anthil, Jul 8, 2012.

1. I'm not sure of the set up on the DVT, but on the older models there is a push sensor on the back of the gear box, above the swinging arm.
    As you push the end in the resistance changes (potentiometer). They wear and give the wrong value to the ECU/Display.
    Given that you've individual fuel and spark maps for each gear (and cylinder) it can really mess with the running.

2. Haven't read the whole thread, as I don't understand any technicalities.

Mine (2014) started to show random gears a while back. Usually just one or two out. Damn nuisance as I can't use the sidestand in neutral. Also, it unilaterally decided to change all the clocks to Kms and I can't get it back to miiles. As well, the oil level light comes on occasionally for no reason that I can determine. If I ignore it, it eventually goes away.

No dealer here, so I can't get it fixed and the local guy can't figure out what's wrong. Seems to be general failure of the dash electrics, but I would have thought that just fluctuating around (nearly) the right gear would be more likely to indicate the position sensor, if there is such a thing . I'd be interested to know if this is the same fault.

3. This is just one the numerous problems I have had with my 2011 S Multi. New gear shift sensor, rear indicators failed, faulty neutral indicator, rear brake attracts air for some unknown reason and to top it off mains blew at 19000 miles. After £2000+ to rebuild I have now sold it and will never buy another "piece of Ducati crap". Ducati were most unhelpfull and Woods of Abergele are atrocious.

4. Can anyone shed any light on the issues with adjusting the gear lever position?

5. I took the bike to the selling dealer in Lincoln and they said there was an easy fix in that it had to "re-learn" the gear positions on a diagnostic machine. Couldn't get this done, as no time available. This work for anyone?

6. I suffered all the above symptoms (gear numbers etc)

Bought a new switch, fitted it, all tickety boo.!

No resetting required.

However, I was told by the Ducati dealer that this switch normally requires "teaching".
    I suppose i was lucky but it's a simple enough job to replace the switch so If it needs to be taught then that's all you'll pay them to do.
    1/4 or 1/2 hours labour charge.

If your in East Sussex I'll help you out..:)

7. Whoops! Just noticed... Lincoln..! Sorry.

8. No worries. Will get it done next service. Along with with sticking exhaust valve, not cleared by lube. I thing the wire to the servo is stuck.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information