1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 Dashes On Odometer After 62000miles

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by Stavrich, Aug 15, 2021.

1. I met a pair of ozzies travelling NZ on multis and one of them had had a replacement by haranging their dealer until Ducati agreed to replace. Dont think it is an issue with later models. Pretty poor R&R...

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Hope that's the case, my 1260 is a keeper. Totally different dash and a few generations further down the line so would be very poor form on Ducati's part if it hadn't been resolved.

3. I was told by W.M Snell just last week, that when I hit this on my 2013 to bring it in as they had a code/software fix to unlock the dash.

• Useful Useful x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  4. Thats good. Did they mention a fee?

5. Can't say I asked, that's a next year problem for me. :)

6. A quick update.
    Bike taken to Vindis. Connected on their system but could not do anything without an "approval code" from Ducati.
    Bike taken back after week. With the "approval code" they got access to the system to reset / sync. It was sync to 61975 miles - this was the mileage registered, I guess in the BBS. Vindis were very helpful and no charge as it took so little time.

Next day was out for a 150m ride and kept an eye on the odometer. Reached 62136 and kept going on until stopped for petrol - odometer now showing 62245. Switched off engine, got petrol, switched ignition on and the dashes were back in full glory!!!

Dealer got back to Ducati asking for advice as not sure what to do next but I get the feeling Ducati are not in a hurry to reply. I have suggested to set the miles to over 62136 and see whether this will work... but definitely this is a bug and not a fault.

I wonder if we have any legal leverage on this.
    TBC...

• Useful Useful x 1
  7. Speedo console not fit for purpose would be my comments. Wonder what would happen if Audi customer had similar issue.
    Seems like they don’t expect any owner to reach 100k but moreover are likely shitting themselves if they lose against a customer.
    Must be thousands of 6 digit speedo consoles out there all waiting to reach 100k.

8. Latest update.
    Fully agree with @Shoboshi.

Bike back to the dealer. Odometer now set to zero. Vindis of Cambridge tried their best but was nothing more they could do - did not charge me for anything.

The LCD display has a fixed space for 5 digits for the odometer. This restricts the maximun number it can display to 5 digits - 99999. Unfortunately, for us, this is the maximum in Kilometres.
    All Ducatis with an LCD display with a fixed 5 digit space will encounter the same issue. I am sure is possible to reprogram the BBS to carry on displaying upto 99999 miles and disable the Kilometre mode when reaching 62136 miles but I guess is to much trouble and cheaper to take a chance and hope that very few go over 62136/99999.

Ducati in effect is promoting fraud and refuse to accept responsibility for their stupidity. Resseting to zero is a cop-out.

Personally I was proud of my high mileage and to be honest it doesnt feel the same now.
    Now, I have an old bike with zero miles - anyone interested :)

#28 Stavrich, Sep 21, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2021
    • Useful Useful x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  9. Very helpful thread, I hope all affected owners find and read it. :upyeah:

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. What twisted logic brought you to these conclusions?

11. I am not replying to impolite comments.

12. Whilst it's irritating at least you still have a functioning bike and milage counter.
    I had an Aprilia Tunono and the clocks were notorious for failing due to condensation. I had to replace mine twice and had only my own records for the total milage. I strongly suspect the guy that bought it and shipped it to Europe to sell didn't bother to tell the new buyer.

#32 Twin4me, Sep 21, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2021
  13. Sales price of Multis will likely be affected downwards, as the association with bogus mileage/ kms will become a new internet legend.

Really poor effort by Ducati.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Ducati is not going to redesign the system and hardware for older model bikes. This issue can not be fixed. Everybody needs to remain calm, this is not a conspiracy by Ducati

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. Can't belDucati didn't think a multi would get to 100000km never mind 100000mls. Twats

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. I will wear my 'Add 38610miles' sticker with pride. Twats

17. Of course , I mean 62137 miles .

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. I got a second clock at 99,999 + 4000 km. My second one is now at 82,200 so I'm looking for a third.

• Like Like x 2
Do Not Sell My Personal Information