1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 DVT Dealer Wont Offer Solution To Pad Or -disc Issue = Vibrations Under Braking

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by Riko, May 16, 2017.

1. Okay, I've had it with my dealer! :mad:

This sunday I went for a trip to the seaside to relax and visit some mates.
    When I returned I was enjoying the Multi on the highway :cool:

But all of a sudden, this never happened before, I experienced vibration under hard braking!
    Not a reliable feeling tbh....

Than I did some research on the net and found out it could be just dirty pads, worn pads, or even warped discs....

Than I investigated my pads and to my HUGE surprise, they left this on the bike!!!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

As you can see, one side is kinda okay, but the other side is really worn!
    Not only don't I understand why they didnt change the pads for safety matters, but also, they were obliged to do so according to the rules of granting Ducati Approved guarantee.
    This is something new from begin this month, offered only in certain EU countries btw, so dont pannic if you didnt hear about this before :)

The site is in Dutch, but I'll translate: Ducati Approved - Erkende tweedehands Ducati motoren
    There is a 35 point checklist to wich the bike has to pass or adjusted and than they can grand extended warranty to second hand Ducati's.
    Point 16 & 17 & 25 & 26 deal about the brakes. (pads, torque settings, function, etc)
    Point 17 states discs and pads have to be checked on worn (70%).

Yesterday I went a step further, or rather drastic?
    I removed the brakepads to look at them up close...
    In the process, I damaged my rims with some scratches...very very idiotic of me.
    (I have a torque wrench, + service manual, so dont worry, its all bolted up to spec again)

But these are the results:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Tell me those pads are at 70% capacity :confused:

I immediately send him a very long email, and got this answer, with a picture of a new pad:
    "Your brakes are not worn, these new ones are not much thicker than that you know.
    It could be that there's a bit of play on the ballhead or like you say the discs but that would be weird to happen all of a sudden.
    "
    [​IMG]

That is a litteraly translation from Dutch to English...
    He also did not mention about my Guarantee request, wich was applied a month ago even before I got the bike...

So, I am fed up with this and I am gonna talk to another dealer, because if you get such a respons, they can kiss my ass tbh!

So today I rode the bike, but too shortly and not on the freeway, so different circumstances.
    But I had the impression the cleaning helped a bit, but still felt some fibrations.
    I can't believe its due to warped discs, but just uneven wear on pads leftside-rightside thats causing my vibrations under hard braking only.

Any thoughts about this?

Tomorrow I am gonna buy myself a micrometer to check the discs, just to be sure.

2. You need to measure them and determine the remaining thickness.
    I assume you had just had this bike serviced? You don't specifically state that you did but based on your post I assume that you are complaining that the pads are worn immediately after a service?

3. Same dealer that sold you a full power bike that was actually 100hp?!

4. Correct

+

Actually that wasnt the dealers fault...

5. Blame 'The Tories' then, seems to be a running theme o_O

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  6. Apologies for asking, But I can't seem to see the link between why you think it is the dealers fault, was it in for a service and they missed this on a service? If that is the case then under the guise you mentioned or even just a good dealer then the on the limit pads should have been mentioned. If however the bike was in the shop for something else then that might explain why the brakes were not looked at?

As a separate aside, do you use a disc lock?

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. I think it's because Riko had just bought the bike from the dealer and it should have been inspected as an approved Ducati used bike to a certain standard?

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. indeed, you got it! :)

Meanwhile I got a reply back from the mechanic.
    Now he admits the pads are more worn...but that it would be expensive if I'd change pads everytime they are at 60%... (implying my pads are at 60% LOL)
    And warns me pads cost 300 USD...

So I replied asking if he had cheaper alternatives at the shop and also send him this link :)
    https://www.carpimoto.it/en-FR/Bike...37LA-Sintered-Street-1-couple-for-1-disk-.htm

Same brembo brakes, even higher spec, road legal for 35 euro, so 70 euro for the front wheel. Thats about 80 USD.

I dont expect a positive respons tbh, but why not try huh.
    And since I already removed the pads on the bike I could do this myself in the future and save myself some money.
    Just need to be more prudent and mask the rims before reming the brakes of the disc....lol

Also gonna look for the right greas for those bolts mentioned above.

PS: no disc lock use here :)

9. The 2nd image shows one brake caliper is extending out further than the other. Needs a good clean & lube and that should remove the vibrations caused by one been out of sink with the rest. I can understand your frustration at the lower than 'prescribed' pads been palmed off with the purchase of the bike. But you should have checked them as part of your own basic visual checks before even riding off. I'd stick with the recommended brake pads & even those have many thousands of miles use left in them frankly. Not trying to make enemies but pads are a intrinic thing that needs replacing every so often.

#9 GunZenBomZ, May 17, 2017
    Last edited: May 17, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  10. indeed, after the cleaning, the bike felt less viby under braking hard, although as I said the circumstances were different.

but I'm gonna hit the highway later on today :)

meanwhile, hell, if this is the dealers price to change pads! I might as well do it myself!
    Gonna wait the 2nd opinion of the other dealer I messaged and if they're the same, I'm gonna order me those LA pads from Italy and some of that Molybdenum disulfide grease.

11. I'd check your disc bobbins as well, sometimes they get a bit gummed up with old brake dust and don't revolve / let the disc move a bit .
    I've cleaned mine by spraying brake cleaner onto the bobbins and then turning the bobbins by revolving them with a suitably sized round file stuck into the middle of the bobbin, work around both discs and clean off any excess brake cleaner with kitchen towel, sometimes that's all it takes to stop the vibration when your braking.

If it's still noticeable after that, check your discs for runout with a Dial test indicator they could be warped.

P.S. your brake caliper pistons could do with a good clean with brake cleaner solvent and a brush as well, when you fit the new pads the pistons will have to be pushed back into the brake calipers, if you don't give the pistons a good clean before doing this you shove all the brake crap into the piston seals and this could damage them.

Hope this helps ;)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Check this thread for the Bremo Brake configurator
    http://moto.brembo.com/en
    And this one for more info
    https://www.ducatiforum.co.uk/threads/need-new-front-pads-for-my-dvt-s.43970/
    Make sure you buy the correct ones, don't be tempted to buy 'racing' versions as these work at higher temperatures than you get with normal street riding and will actually work less well. I made this mistake and fitted aggressive ones and put a lot of wear on the discs when I converted to M50 Calipers on my older 2010 model

#12 Twin4me, May 17, 2017
  13. A Mechanic advised me to add a tiny bit of grease where it touches the caliper and shim to stop squealing (as well as the back of the pad - which he said does nothing). I've marked this in red, but be very careful not to get any on the pad or disc.
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  14. Exactly what Poucher said. It's either the bobbins between the disks and the rotor not allowing the disks to "float" or the disks are warped. It's got nothing to do with the pads and no amount of lubing the pistons, etc, will resolve that. The only reason the pads might be involved is if they have caused warping due to a hot spot/zone on the disk, which could be as a result of excessive or uneven wear, but can also be created by brand new pads not being bedded in correctly. Either way, if you can feel any vibration through the lever and the bobbins are clean then your disks are F.U.C.T.

• Like Like x 1
  15. A common cause of disk warping is slowing down to a stop with aggressive braking and then siting there stationary with the brake still applied, thus causing all heat built up in the pad to be retained in one small area of the disk surface. Generally bike disks are of a lighter construction and can dissipate the extra heat quickly, but it can be a common issue on cars due to poorer ventilation in this area and by the disks being of a denser construction. More noticeable on automatic cars when people sit with a foot on the brake pedal at traffic lights. It can cause disks to crack in extreme cases.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  16. Make sure its Copperslip not just any normal grease.

• Agree Agree x 3
  17. Rick B is right, but regardless of the grease you should only apply copperslip to the side edges and never to the top of the brake pads. Even though copperslip should not melt and run onto the face of the pad it is still possible for it to migrate it's way from the top to the bottom in certain circumstances ... gravity is a bitch like that.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Okay I get your drift now. Uoi bought it second hand and the dealer appears not to have pdi'd it properly. Yep I'd do the pads myself for peace of mind and then as the others have mentioned, check the bobbins

• Like Like x 1
  19. Knew that site and dicovered their premium line ;)

So I'll order these:
    https://www.carpimoto.it/en-FR/Bike...37LA-Sintered-Street-1-couple-for-1-disk-.htm

That new spec is named 'LA', they are the same as the premium ones but with 30% more life in them...

wow great advise you guys!

About the bobbins, I'll try and do this method:

20. Anyone on here ever paid $300 for a set of front pads? Time to find a new dealer, if you have any proper Ducati dealers or any that do mail order they should be able to tell how much the pads actually cost and supply them. A quick search on ebay has various EBC pads available for around £60-70 for a front wheel set (4 pads) in the UK. You could even get them from Moto Rapido in the UK with absolute faith you are not getting ripped off for a set of OEM pads. To get that much differential wear between the two discs means you really should be considering cleaning the callipers up and checking the pistons operation. If it was mine I would be changing the pads (all 4) pretty soon but not until the callipers were checked for partial seizure or sticking. BTW the worn pads look like they have been running much hotter, the other calliper shows what they should look like. I think the right hand piston on the worn side is sticking which means on that disc most of the movement is wearing the left side of the disc. When you measure them they would normally be quite close is thickness, it looks like that disc has worn more than the other side

#20 Denzil the Ducati, May 17, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
Do Not Sell My Personal Information