1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 DVT Dealer Wont Offer Solution To Pad Or -disc Issue = Vibrations Under Braking

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by Riko, May 16, 2017.

1. it seems to be common in belgium...done some asking around and it seems ducati forces dealers here to offer their official prices

in that case Ducati is unique among the motorcycles makes.

its a surprise than to read that in the UK ducati seems to offer their official OEM Brembo pads a lower prices....

Thx for the info btw.
    It is noticable the piston movement difference on that picture indeed....
    Is there a way to test the piston operation other than pushin it all the way in for the new pads to be placed?

The service manual states to not use the brake lever because that could cause the pistons to come out...

2. I always use the brake lever, but use the cable tie method to stop the pistons coming all the way out. That said, it's not that bad to have them right out and give it all a proper clean. They pop back in easily enough.

• Like Like x 1
  3. I used a bolt and drill but as I didn't want to damage the wheels or tyres at all, I used Cillit Bang instead of brake cleaner. I didn't bother with washers and didn't damage the bobbins at all. I too used kitchen towel and lots of it because I kept going on each one until no more muck came out. There was a lot of muck...
    It made a huge difference. The brakes are both much more progressive and much more powerful now.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Yup ask any middle aged woman.

As a matter of coarse I'd give the whole system a service from cleaning the callipers and bobbins to flushing the old fluid out with new stuff. also check your brake line where it runs down the fork leg for wear, I saw one a few months ago with a big shiny inner fork leg and the wire showing on the brake line.
    +1 on the copper grease.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Copper slip and pads ?? I've read a few things on this from Brembo and Tmd friction and the likes ,and they recommend not to use copper slip .
    If you have an aluminium caliper with a metal pad backing and use copper grease will this start off galvanic corrosion ?
    They say to use a non metallic based grease like Ceratec , it does not start and diss similar metals reaction .
    I see copper grease used all the time with car stuff , it seems to work but something to take note of for all the OCD squad

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. thx!

I will do the same...pads arrived :)

[​IMG]

My mate allowed some seat time on the Duc
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. Don't spin the bobbins with a drill when you clean them .. there's no need for such speed and it just wears out the bobbin holes, or at the very least degrades the anodising so that corrosion sets in later.
    Turning by hand is perfectly adequate.

Many supposed cases of "warped" discs are not warped at all .. its often down to the surface conditioning (sometimes called "tempering") of the discs.
    Its a complicated subject but basically it is claimed that pad material is deposited in a micro-layer on the disc surface.
    If this becomes degraded in one particular spot, or is not effectively carried out in the first place, pulsing is the result.
    Often, the cure is simply to put them through repeated cycles of heavy use followed by cooling, to "condition" the surfaces.
    I've had many mot advisories about my own front discs, which pulsed gently under light braking at slow speed.
    Having cleaned the bobbins thoroughly and checked them for runout (none found) I cleaned the surfaces with scotchbrite followed by a light (and even) rub over with fine wet and dry paper on a small, flat block.
    They still pulsed, although less so perhaps.
    Then I noticed a slight improvement after a trackday when heavier than normal braking was the norm .. so I continued to use them more aggressively from time to time in my road riding.
    The eventual result is that I have had no pulsing whatsoever for the last year or two.
    Btw .. I have used the same pads throughout .. they're the originals (after 22k miles).
    This possibly suggests the cause of the problem in that I tend to be a light, one finger only braker, relying much on engine braking on the roads and not using the brakes particularly aggressively.
    I think I simply mollycoddled the discs too much and never properly conditioned their surfaces in the first place.
    Anyway, they're fine now .. and the mot man agrees.

• Like Like x 1
  8. replaced with new pads and cleaned the pistons
    [​IMG]

But vibrations remain...still have to ride on the highway to determine wether the vibrations have lessened or not.
    So I'll have to visit the dealer to check for warped discs or something else..

9. Fit fully floating bobbins,I've just done it on my 851 and the difference is amazing,it's went from about 4rpm with a gentle spin to 15-20 rpm with the same spin method! You'll not get any pulse as the disc moves to suit the pads!
    I tried this on a old pair of discs I had stopped using because of a slight pulse,the experiment cost me about £55! I've now got less drag on the discs so more hp in theory ?

10. Fully floating bobbins are a good upgrade in my opinion .. but they shouldn't really be able to cure pulsation issues unless your original bobbins are sticking.
    I've considered them myself though, but for other reasons.
    Cheaper, stainless ones are available but Brembo make hard anodised, ally ones (with benefits to unsprung and rotating weight, so worth doing). I got mine from JHP, though you may need to order in advance (not forgetting the clips and shim washers too). I haven't fitted mine yet.
    One good reason to go this way is that it would make it a bit easier to thoroughly clean/abrade the rotor surfaces (though it is perfectly feasible to do it without removing them).
    Drilling out the old bobbins is tricky though (but then subsequently fitting the floaters is child's play).
    I mention all this because I happen to know someone who is setting up to do exactly that, removing the rotors, honing them on a rotary table to restore the surface, and refitting to the carriers using fully floating bobbins.
    Between us we strongly suspect that this will be a total cure for pulsing discs, as well as a performance upgrade.
    Unfortunately it will be some months yet before the process will be up and running, but if you're not in a desperate hurry it might be a good solution.
    Or, you could do it yourself, cleaning the discs up with wet and dry as I did (on the bike in my case).
    Whichever way you go, I would recommend that you then put the refurbed discs (or new ones for that matter) through a conditioning/tempering process to ensure their continued smooth, pulse-free operation.

I suspect that a dealer is likely to quote "warped discs" and try to sell you a new pair.
    In fairness, although the analysis may not be correct, its probably the easiest quick cure, so I can't criticise too much.

Oh, and the other issue with full floaters is that some mot testers don't like the way that they rattle and may be tempted to fail them on that .. although they probably shouldn't.
    One way around this might be to keep a few of the old spring washers from the semi floating set up and fit them for mot time .. its easy enough and just requires removal of the circlip (assuming that the clearances are approximately the same on both types of bobbins .. you'd need to check that).

11. hmmm I dont wanna jump to any conclusions as of yet, since I still have to ride on the highway with the new pads and it was under those circumstances I noticed the vibrations the best.

But from riding today, with agressive braking, it seems the vibrations are much less...
    Again, I would still have to confirm after riding the beast on the highway tomorrow...

Could it be that the new pads have to set, and combined with the proper working brake pistons, perhaps the new pads sort of smooth out the disc, this eliminating vibrations?

Clean pads, working pistons = bye bye vibrations under heavy braking?

12. Riko, you need 100kms or more to get the pads properly bedded in before they will work at full capability, that bedding in period is longer if your discs are old/grooved/badly worn

• Like Like x 1
  13. yeah, I red that too

But I'm at least more than halfway 100km.

Curious to see if the bedding period is helping to improve my issue

14. just went to a pro and he measured the discs with a clockmeter

there was a offset of 0.3mm.

I dont know the allowed offset of the OEM discs, but he things that 0.2mm offset is the maximum and higher than that, discs should be replaced.

BTW, he also experienced the vibrations.
    And he thought the speed they were felt was weird, since it only appears at high speed braking, not a low speed breaking wich is typical for warped discs...

But does anybody here know what the offset numbers are for the discs?

He will start to replace the suspected disc and replace that one.
    We'll see if that will cure the issue.
    The discs is being ordered.

Normally I'll be able to share an update next week from now..

#34 Riko, May 31, 2017
    Last edited: May 31, 2017
  15. You can't wear an offset into the disc? Well, only a fraction difference either side - but to be 3mm away from nominal offset there wouldn't be a disc left at all - or am I misunderstanding you :)

16. pff, I knew the language barrier would give difficulties

offset = difference between the zero position and the result you see when turning the wheel....

okay, the mechanic used this tool to measure if my break disc was warped:
    [​IMG]

while turning the wheel, we read a difference of 0.3 milimeters.
    this is with the tool at the surface of the disc, where the brake pads touch the disc.

Alternatively, he also measured the disc from the top, at the border of the disc, like so:
    [​IMG]

Normally, discs arent measured this way, but we did see the difference was huge!!
    Much more than 0.3mm! more like 0.6-0.9mm..

Mabye that difference caused the vibrations at specific higher speeds...?
    Because imagine the pads touching the disc while its moving up and down?
    I can imagine that must give some feedback to the handlebars in some way...

But fact is, I am not experiencing normal warping = vibration at LOW speed.
    I get it only at high speed braking!

We are still guessing, and we are gonna change that disc to see what will happen.

#36 Riko, May 31, 2017
    Last edited: May 31, 2017
  17. So it's warped 3mm! 'Lateral Run-out' is where the disc pads touch the disc face - the discs cannot be 3mm warped! Usually 0.1mm is normal. If you take your discs off and lay them on a flat plate with 3mm of warp you will see a minimum of 1.5mm gap under the disc in places. This would be unridable! The floating bobbins could be worn giving your 3mm reading as the disc itself would be 'tilted over' when measured - not warped. When you remove the disc try this and see what you find.
    What did the other disc measure?
    6 to 9mm on the edge of the disc - 'axial runout' - is also not possible - so very confusing.

Offset is how far the disc is away from the hub where it mounts and equates to the design of the system - to centralise the disc to the calliper centre.

• Like Like x 1
  18. okay, I give up, I was an observer :) and those are too many questions for an observer :)

EDIT!!!!
    0.3 mm :sweat:

I can say is that the clockmeter was attached via magnet to the shock (not much other space and places to attach it...and the reading we got was 3mil difference between 0 and the highest difference while turning the wheel.

I can only say these facts now:

I ordered new full floating Oro Brembo discs via the mechanic.
    [​IMG]
    They are full floating.
    https://www.carpimoto.it/en-BE/46244_78B408A4-Brembo-Serie-Oro-Brake-Disc-78B408A4.htm

We'll see what the results will be soon...

They are only 350 euro for a pair, so cheaper than via Carpimoto.
    FYI, OEM Duc discs would cost me 764 euro for a pair...... OMG!!!

19. EDIT 0.3 :oops:

other side was less difference, like 0.2mm max

excited to see if new discs work out, with some luck, they will arrive friday already ready to install

• Funny Funny x 1
  20. How does 0.3mm suddenly become 3mm? This thread is nothing but mass confusion and conjecture

• Agree Agree x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information