1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 Dear Santa, Clip-ons Please!

Discussion in 'Monster' started by dukenukem, Nov 19, 2018.

1. Anyone fitted clip-ons to their Monster?

I am considering asking Santa for these, would appreciate any thoughts/alternatives (they're pricey).
    --it's always been my intention to fit clip-ons, I am not too much of a fan of the riding position being almost sit-up-and-beg on my 1200 but the bike is a dream realised - hope I don't offend anyone with this :-/

They appear extremely pricey at around £500...........
    http://www.duc-store.de/epages/15495490.mobile/en_US/?ObjectPath=/Shops/15495490/Products/LS.PP.MO12

.................especially when compared to this model from the US which unfortunately they don't make for the Monster, a shame at that price and the option of mounting them above or below.
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/292660422623?ul_noapp=true

40-1360-53.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

2. Bear in mind a fork fitment probably means you will have to relocate some stuff and restrict your lock a fair bit

3. Ye, I'd asked the question re the lock to that German company, but I think it's plug and play, but will see what they come back with. How is the lock altered? Tbh it's not all that great on the Monster in any case, any less and it'd take me a quarter mile to do a full circle :)

--relocating stuff, I'd want to get bar-end mirrors, so hopefully it'd be ok.

4. Trouble is, once you've seen the first solution from the German vendor anything else just doesn't look right... :rolleyes:

Sorry, that's not much help is it...

5. On the bottom yoke, there is (on most Ducatis) a bolt and nut that can be adjusted 9may just be a bolt) and moving in or out makes the bolt head hit the lockstep sooner.

Depending on what you have now, you may need a reservoir bracket for one or both master cylinders and still like the tab on the switchgear will need to be either removed or the bar have a suitable hole added. Brake lines probably OK, depending how far back you pull the bars or how high you go, but again check nothing is too tight on full lock (one of the reasons you adjust the lock: not to stretch wires or hoses and not to have levers foul tank or clocks/fairing

HTH

6. Ha no it is helpful, because it's made me realise that the cost of the German setup is because a complete solution, not that I am opposed to the literal clip-ons. One difficulty I have is to mockup the exact positioning, so I can test it out, it'll be one of those things that I won't quite know if I like it until it's installed :thinkingface:

I was secretly hoping someone else had done the same.

7. Thanks bradders, that's made me take it seriously. I mean, I am fairly paranoid when it comes to changing anything on the bike - scares me to death tbh making changes, but I've never not made changes to stuff, I am a total modifier freak. You've convinced me ask a friendly local helpful bike garage for help. Cheers.

8. Hi everyone,

After much more research, I have decided that hinged or split clip ons that are also adjustable in height. This allows me to experiment with the fitment without removing the triple clamp and taking my bike off the road while I find the courage to fit them myself :) --I am pretty sure about doing it myself, I can take my time over winter and it shouldn't be too hard, right :-/

There are plenty of clip ons with a quick Google search, but none that I can find from reputable vendors, that are adjustable and are split/hinged.

Ebay I can find some, and they are as cheap as chips, and I am not so confident I could trust them!!

Here is a vendor I would be happy to buy from, they are $350 which seems a lot, but I am reassured by the video and the materials and claims they make regarding life time warranty...

https://onpointperformance.com/product/adjustable-clip-on-handle-bar/

I would appreciate your opinion.

Many thanks

On-Point-Adjustable-Clip_On.jpg

On-Point_Clip-On_06.jpg

On-Point_Clip_On.jpg

Do Not Sell My Personal Information