1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Decided To Pre-empt Santa

Discussion in 'Clothing, Gadgets & Equipment' started by Android853sp, Dec 21, 2020.

1. Ooops. :innocent:

DA705BAC-4196-4C18-9035-A12CB9559DFA.jpeg

• Like Like x 5
  2. Am I the only one who has issues with Wera tools? I snapped a 6mm hex socket doing up a foot peg hanger and the 3/8 Zyklop ratchet is quite poor quality, getting jammed and not ratcheting occasionally. Real shame as their usability is epic, just feel their quality is lacking.

Thoughts?

20210718_110719.jpg

#42 andrewinuk, Aug 10, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2021
  3. ive got wera stuff and like it. however, its still a diy brand, albeit pitched at premium end of diy, and those that rely on spannering for their livelihoods will still always use snap-on, beta, facom, gedore etc etc

• Useful Useful x 1
  4. Your photo appears to show a 3/8” ratchet with a 3/8” to 1/4” reducer to a 1/4” drive hex socket. If that is the case, IMO, wrong tool for the job and I’m not surprised it snapped. Andy

5. Well spotted! I was indeed using a 3/8 drive so I didn't damage my 1/4 ratchet, but I'd have expected the hex socket to be up to the job, as the tip is going to be the same size regardless of what's doing the twisting.

The snap actually occurred where the ball bearing was recessed onto the tip, so not sure using a 3/8 hex socket would have made any difference.

Not trying to be contrary Andy, just trying to understand why I had the issue.

6. No offence taken :upyeah: I am a serial tool buyer and have (needlessly) bought throughout the years :joy::joy: One thing I have noticed with much of what is available today, even at the high end, hex socket bits appear to be made with different standards of steel depending on the ratchet drive size. Side by side, my 1/4” Snap On Blue Point hex sockets look fragile compared to my Halfords Pro 3/8” hex sockets. Whatever you do, FME, don’t use an impact driver, the Halfords guarantee doesn’t apply although the sales representative must have felt sorry for me and did replace the one I broke. Andy

7. I had wondered about that as the Wera 1/4" bit looked like it was made of cheese! If I buy a 3/8 set and snap one I'll post the photo to compare :)

Glad you got your Halfords set sorted!

8. blue point is not really snap on

9. Don’t start :joy: Andy

Do Not Sell My Personal Information