1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Deep Clean And Winter Prep... Including Photo's.

Discussion in 'Detailing and cleaning' started by Ben Mallinson, Oct 7, 2017.

1. I would be reluctant to spray ACF 50 on rad hoses, having seen a couple bulge and let go due to this. The oil in ACF has been known to perish rubber :worried:

2. So they say, but the boys down at MotoRapido will state otherwise, as they replaced my Multi hose last year due to ACF, and when they were done, explained that they had seen more than just my bike with damaged hoses due to this

PS, will not damage, but can "elongate and swell" ??

#23 Wayne58, Oct 8, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 8, 2017
  3. :thinkingface:

I thought about that too, however I consulted the ACF-50 Motorcycle Hints and Tips document available online and it seems this shouldn't be a worry on modern bikes...

Extract from the document below.

'ACF-50 over spray will not harm any rubber components but saturation of "natural rubber" in door gaskets and window seals or harness gaiters of old cars or
    motorcycles (40+ years) should be avoided, as this may cause the rubber to elongate or swell.

If you need advice please give us a call on 01689-808978, [email protected] ‐ or ‐ visit www.acf-50.co.uk'

If this is an issue, it's a bit late for me now as its already on them now. However it would be good to hear if anyone else has had experience of this causing an issue with Rubber Hoses on modern machinery??

#24 Ben Mallinson, Oct 8, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2017
  4. Interesting..
    I tend to use a small paintbrush when near parts I don't want it on, I know some blast the whole bike bar brakes:bucktooth:

5. I wouldn't go so far as to say I blasted everything but the tyres and brakes but I have read on the net that some folk do just this... I was fairly careful in the application as I didn't want to get it bloody everywhere, however I wasn't particularly avoiding the rubber hoses etc...

Done a bit of a search on the net and can't find any mention or real evidence of it damaging rubber hoses and resulting in hose failure. Some of the various forums I just visited suggest the opposite to this and actually suggest it aids preventing hoses drying out and cracking...

I'm fully aware the 'tinterweb' will present many persons opinions on products and many will have a mate of a mate who said blah blah...

However @Wayne58 you having a personal first hand experience of this grabbed my attention. I know the likes of WD40 should be kept away from rubber hoses as it contains something like 50% white spirits if I recall rightly, but having done a check with the manufacturers guide I thought all was good...

Would be interested to hear if anyone else has had a similar experience with ACF-50 damaging their rubber hoses or other rubber items?

Ben.

6. Yeah, it's a shame I didn't get a photo, and lucky it happened literally 50 metres from MotoRapido as it was in for a service that day, was the left upper hose on a 2014 bike, they didn't have one in stock but were kind enough to hack up a Panigale hose that was a similar shape just to get me under way. It was Ricky (Now at Cresent Honda) who told me that he'd seen a few, so I still use it, just am a little less liberal round Rad hoses

7. Thanks @Wayne58 I stumbled across that one when having a quick look myself but this and other ones I came across mention 'Natural Rubber' which I don't believe our modern machinery hoses are made of are they?

I may be wrong but I thought all the modern stuff was EPDM rubber (or whatever its called) which is a man made substitute to accommodate the modern day requirements of compact engine bays with increased temperatures etc...

I do agree that these sites that mention it being harmful to rubber may be correct with regards to the 'natural rubber' products and this ties in with what the manufacturers guidance highlights in the quote in my previous post.

I'm not overly concerned about this application of the product but it would just be useful to know either way for future applications for both myself and others reading this thread :upyeah:

#29 Ben Mallinson, Oct 8, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2017
  8. It's probably an old wives tale but, I normally use off cuts of old carpets/remnants to place the bike on to stop the cold from the ground going up into the bike.

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. Not an old tale mate, both me and my brother have rugs under the bikes, I swear it works. :upyeah:

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. A bit early for putting bikes away. Have the gritters been out yet? :)

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Not yet, unfortunately though the chances of them having been out by the time I get home again is fairly good I would think. Just got back to work for 3 weeks, only home for a week next time (two days of which will be travelling), the Panigale and Monster will be collected by Italia Moto just after I get back for them to be serviced... Then I'll be coming back here for another 2 weeks so I would think it will be the end of November by the time they get dropped back off again from being serviced.

So as mentioned above, although its is a little bit early I have had to be organised and get them ready for winter, glad I've got it done and don't have to worry about it now as due to work, I'm very limited for time at home until late December :(

#33 Ben Mallinson, Oct 10, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2017
  12. Ah all is clear. :)

13. I've got front and rear paddock stands :thinkingface: Do I have to put carpet under them? :worried:

Stand.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  14. Think you have to double carpet for paddock stands Robber !!! o_O

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. Or an onion under the bed supposedly helps.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. :bucktooth::bucktooth::bucktooth:
    If that was mine there would be carpet under it for the winter paddock stands or not ..purely because it would be in my front room ..

• Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  17. I use ACF50 extensively. I have never had any issues other than a 15 year old DUC looking like new (more or less, at least).

After each cleaning of the bike I wipe the whole bike over with a microfibre cloth “soaked” in ACF50. So it always have a coat of ACF50 on. Keeps everything looking like new, and all plastic etc. stays fresh looking. Of course all the nook and crannies are the most important areas to pay attention to.

I’m fortunate to have a dry warm room for the bike during the winter, but still uses ACF50 to preserve areas I have cleaned. I never ride in the rain, but moist in the air will make screews, bolts etc. look matte and eventually rusty, if not preserved in some way. Especially the dodgy painted welding joints on the frame is prone to rust and I use ACF50 to assure that no rust will never form.

I use ACF50 on all electrical connectors as it keeps them from corroding internally and keeps moist at bay.

Lastly, I wipe my chain with ACF50 after each ride, and it keeps the chain looking like new with no spray from sticky chain lubricants. As I use an O-ring chain, it mostly needs to be prevented from corrosion on the outside of the links, for which ACF50 is perfect. To my understanding and experience, ACF50 does not dissolve other grease as WD40, and hence is safer to use, in case it does get into the O-rings and in contact with the grease inside the links. But that is my own little theory.

In my experience, the ACF50, if applied with a cloth and not sprayed on excessively, does not make the bike sticky, oily and does not attract dirt in an extreme fashion.

25939FA2-D1F5-49F5-BCA6-B723E42104DA.jpeg 3EF5267D-A1A3-4C62-B958-15FC241A5930.jpeg

#40 SalkinSupersport, Oct 22, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2017
    • Like Like x 4
Do Not Sell My Personal Information