1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denzil Down

Discussion in 'Ducati General Discussion' started by Denzil the Ducati, Oct 3, 2019.

1. I had a compression fracture of the vertebrae and also displacement of joints L3 and L3, both from separate sporting injuries.

The compression fracture was over 40 years ago, and the displacement was over 30 years ago. I took up aikido over 30 years ago, and I still practice (and teach). I'm convinced this has helped to keep my back reasonably supple & pain-free. I don't ride sports bikes anymore as I find the posture uncomfortable. I do have occasional lower back pain after activities such as gardening, but that's nothing exceptional for the over-60s.

Good luck with a complete recovery Denzil & I hope you manage to get your bike back on the road.

#41 Rudolph Hart, Oct 3, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2019
  2. Happy to answer to Denzilla or Denzilina btw... :joy:

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. I hope the X-ray dept is better than where I was. I was immobilised on the bed, neck brace and all, and the radiographer said they would use a mobile x-ray unit to check my spine. Told his assistant to put slide the plate under my back and then they took the x-ray and got it developed. I was being wheeled along to some other place, when the radiographer came up and asked what sort of riding gear I was wearing, back protector, that sort of thing, as he couldn't make head or tale of the x-ray. My son[FE] looked at it and told him that, apart from my ribs and spine, he was looking at a set of bed springs. The pillock assistant had put the plate, not under my back but under the bed …:eek:

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Like Like x 1
    • WTF WTF x 1
  4. I am very very sorry to read this. I wish the best for Denzil and I hope that the family receives reassuring news regarding his injuries at a very early date.

I suffered compression fractures of the T8 and T9 vertebrae - probably higher up the spine than Denzil's injury. However, I will say that with proper immobilisation early on, and care ongoing, Denzil will with luck be able to look forward to more sports riding and a fairly normal life after this accident. Listen to medical advice and don't be in a rush.

There may well be odd symptoms afterwards - numb patches and odd physical sensations - but with luck and with careful aftercare, it is possible to hope for the best and a nearly full recovery.

I will keep my fingers crossed that this is the case for Denzil. Be strong.

#44 Loz, Oct 3, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 4, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  5. All the best Denzil, sorry to hear of your accident.

6. GWS dude, keep your chin up and as all have said do all the physio :upyeah:

7. Get well soon Denzil, wishing you a speedy recovery

8. Thank you all again - very encouraging to hear some success stories (apart from Ducati dad's radiography assistant... :neutral:). The fractured vertebra is T12 so not so far off yours, Loz. He had a back brace fitted today (said it felt like wearing leathers) and was able to stand with help. They are very keen on getting him moving at this point which has to be a good thing! Will read him the rest of your messages in the morning.

• Like Like x 5
    • Love You Love You x 1
  9. All the best for a speedy recovery,but not too speedy.Take it easy.

10. Rotten luck, get well soon.

11. Give my regards to your dad and wish him a speedy recovery. I am evidence of the survival rate of major orthopaedic spinal injury as I still ride sports bike although for short journeys nowadays. The thing is taking time to allow bones to knit and then persivering with the physio. It takes time but time is a great healer. Andy

• Like Like x 3
  12. Get well soon matey, and good on yer Denzilina for keeping us lot informed
    Andy

• Agree Agree x 5
  13. GWS fella, all the best for a speedy & complete recovery.

14. Oh what awful luck. Very sorry to read this but give your dad my best wishes for a speedy as possible recovery.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. There should be a substantial payout coming Denzil’s way, so he should be able to buy the bike back and rebuild it, from a financial point of view, anyway

16. What shit luck, heal well and give it the proper amount of time to happen, follow the professionals advice, I hope you can achieve a full recovery.

17. Always makes me pause and think when I see a rider down thread, reading the replies you are obviously a well respected and top bloke, wishing you a speedy recovery :upyeah:

18. Gws Denzil, recovery goes well

just think this could be the excuse needed for a move to.......drum roll......a multi :)

19. Best wishes buddy. Very sorry to hear the bad news :(

20. The trouble is if you ask anyone whose had an accident would they rather have paid that money to ‘not have the accident’ I’m sure they’d all say yes. I wager you’d agree with that straight off.

Added to that it’ll take years to sort out the compensation.

Strange word ‘Compensation’. For me it didn’t compensate at all. It’s only money and whatever you get doesn’t go far. But then again what else can be done.

I hope your recovery is going well Oldie. Get healthy again, that’s the best thing of all.

• Agree Agree x 2
Do Not Sell My Personal Information