1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Classic Desert Sled

Discussion in 'Scrambler' started by cookster, Nov 14, 2016.

1. My pal's 750 Desert Masher

Desert masher.JPG Desert Masher 1.JPG

#21 Borgo Panigale, Dec 1, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2016
    • Like Like x 6
  2. Now you know that's not true Tel ;-) Skip to about 50 mins if you're interested in what a stock Scrambler can do. Or watch the whole film if you have a spare hour :) I've other Scrambler clips on my YouTube account as well.

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. Not decrying your trip and great scenery, but that's hardly challenging off road terrain. The locals would think nothing of taking their standard skoda/peugot/citroen whatever up those roads.

Put any of those bikes on a uk green lane in december and I don't reckon you'd be going anywhere fast. Morocco is a bit of a trek whenever you fancy a bit of off-roading.

4. 2015-12-02 18.34.56.jpg
    Yeah, you're right, it'd never manage a green lane in December...

• Like Like x 2
  5. As an experienced rider with a fair bit of enduro/off road experience , that was the hardest single day's ride I've done in my nearly 40 years of riding.

6. Maybe because of the distance, not because of the terrain surely. That is essentially a hard packed road used for standard transport. You are not seriously telling me that road surface is more challenging than a typical UK enduro course or TRF planned ride are you?

7. Ah,.... I see you choose your green lanes wisely.

8. I see there's no pleasing some people!

9. Yes I am. Hard packed in places, with everthing from fesh fesh to gravel to boulders. The clip obviously doesn't show the complete days ride, but if you're ever in Morocco I'll give you the coordinates and you can judge for yourself ;-)

10. I may have driven that route in a Land Rover, I've also taken an XT550 down to Tamanrasset via In Amenas, Djanet and the Hoggar Mountains, fully loaded with 300kg of supplies, so I am familiar with the terrain. Great experiences, but they are not as challenging as a yer average soft muddy UK green lane that would sink any of these large capacity retro scramblers up to their axles in no time.

That's my point, not decrying your exploits, but a serious off road sled, it aint. (IMHO)

11. Of course it isn't, far from it! But you can still do more than ride to the local coffee shop in your hipster kit ;-)

12. And you clearly enjoy it. Hats off to you. :)

Most insane off road bike I ever had was an IT465. At the bike show I was looking covetously at the Husquavarna 2 stroke enduro bikes.

Mind you, they would be wasted round leicestershire, where most of the green lanes you probably could manage on a Ducati scrambler, even in December! ;)

13. I sold my Husaberg FE400 a few months back. The lanes in Kent are a bog now, most are churned up by 4x4's.
    The Scrambler would get about 3 foot into one at most!

Do Not Sell My Personal Information