1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Desmosedici Rebuild

Discussion in 'D16 Desmosedici RR' started by Robarano, Sep 5, 2018.

1. Oh, OK! Do you happen to know the answers to my questions?

2. Not a clue dude. :innocent:

Applying heat to remove a pin from the head seems quite reasonable though. :thinkingface:

3. Yes, skimming the head will tighten gear driven cam gears.
    Different head gaskets, not sure.
    Adjustment in the set up of the gears, not sure. But on the RC30 they shim the cam
    carriers after skimming. But the RC45 didn't have cam carriers.
    They will know I would imaging, it's not uncommon in bike engines...

4. If they skim like this, they should be OK. o_O

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. :no_mouth:

• Funny Funny x 2
    • WTF WTF x 1
  6. Much Betterer. :) :upyeah:

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. If you like that Hexie, subscribe to Ichiban Motors on Youtube. :) They guy does amazing work, like the fuel tank restoration below*. :bucktooth:

* Warning, Honda content.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. depends how much you're skimming by and just how tight the engine tolerance is to start with.

All said and done the D16 engine is still a roadbike engine, and so won't have anywhere near the tolerances of component and assembly of a full blown d16 Motogp engine. Even though it will be higher than standard build tolerances and quality, its still wizard sleeve compared to the full blown works engine.

When you do an head skim you're not looking to do anything other than make if flat and remove pitting. You'd start with the cutter clocked just on the head and maybe minus 0.005mm and take it from there. 0.01 generally does it. All you want is to make that surface flat and clean again. There's bound to be a set of criteria which tells them what they need to do after a skim based on amount of material removed.

Start going into the realms of skimming for compression lift and you're talking a very different story, then yes, you'd have to compensate in your mechanisms most definitely.

Don't forget that the head gasket also has a certain amount of give in it. In some high performing engines you don't even have that - you have a machined groove in head and block to take a compression ring which then squashes down into the cavity with the head and block having metal to metal condition.

Using the blow torch seems barbaric but it makes sound sense, and the application of heat is quite common practice rather than gorrillaing the bolts out. Think about how many heat cycles that engine has been under, and how tight those bolts are as a result. You're not putting as much force on the head of the torx bolt in order to undo it if you've managed to make the parent metal expand a little, and in the case of a head that had it's gallery plugs more than likely assembled at source with the component parts at a certain temperature - torqued, heat soaked and re-torqued for torque relaxation contingency, they'd be in there tighter than a tight thing.

On some heavily corroded or loctited bolts I've seen them heated with a torch till they glowed red hot before the mechanic would crack them off - knowing that any corrosion and bonding agent would be burnt off at that temperature.

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Hmm bare wires into an electrical outlet. I take it this guy is still breathing?

10. Thanks for that, interesting.

11. Part 9 at last - beginning to think they'd given up...

• Like Like x 5
    • Thanks Thanks x 2
  12. Nah. I just think both of them were recovering after selling a kidney each in order to raise money for parts

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. Part 10. :) :upyeah:

• Like Like x 3
    • Thanks Thanks x 2
  14. £800 for a gasket????!!?!?!?!?!? :eek::worried:

15. I wonder what they're going to do with it when its done - unless it's already sold.

16. Presumably, as they skimmed the heads, the head gasket would have to be thicker than when new, no?

17. Would have used a metal shim style gasket that goes between the case and barrel which is how you set "squish". Andy

• Useful Useful x 1
  18. That’s what I thought but they made no mention of it just mentioned the cost of the Ducati gasket. Presumably the shin style gasket has to have the same profile for oil & airways and I bet they don’t come off the shelf for Desmo either.

19. post 128 above :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. That was so last year:)

Actually, I forgot I read that:(. Thanks.

• Funny Funny x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information