1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Diavel Rear Brake Aftermarket Fixes Uk?

Discussion in 'Diavel & XDiavel' started by Dukeyboy, Oct 5, 2023.

1. Hi guys/girls, this might have already been covered somewhere but I have a 2018 X Diavel S and its suffering from the soft/ineffective rear brake syndrome that others seems to have experienced...

Did anyone find a permanent fix with original or aftermarket parts as some threads Ive seen seem inconclusive?

Some say replace the master cylinder, some the brake pipes, some that the rear caliper and the resevoir is too low, which leaves my tiny brain addled... :p:)

2. The problem is twofold. The master cylinder has to push brake fluid up to the ABS manifold before flowing down to the caliper. This makes it difficult (but not impossible, just involved) to effectively bleed the system. The second problem is the reservoir and brake lines run very close to the exhaust and vertical cylinder which heats the brake fluid close to its upper tolerance. If you use the rear brake often, you can boil the fluid, which degrades it. You can replace the OE with something like Motul 660 which has better resistance to higher temperatures. As for bleeding, it's a PITA but if you are patient and do it methodically (with 2 people) it should last longer. I know of at least 1 person who made up a shield for the reservoir. Andy

3. There is a technical update issued by Ducati that replaces the rear brake lines. It’s not a recall, but if you’re having the problem and bleeding hasn’t resolved it, pay a visit to your dealer and have a chat.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  4. After every ride I used to take the top off the brake fluid reservoir and hang a heavy weight off the brake peg.

Crude but it works a treat.

5. This technical update solved my Xdiavel’s rear brake issue :upyeah:

The dealer agreed with Ducati to do the technical update – out of goodwill – for free.

6. Thanks Guys. I got the Duc dealer to bleed the brakes and MOT it afterwards. I called the dealership a few days beore the service and suggested that Ducati had a fix out for the issue and requested they apply it. I was told by the service manager that replacement of the brake hoses was in-effectual and a waste of time, he seemed resigned to having to bleed them yearly to ensure they're effective, I'm not sure if hes selling me a pup or whether this is true... especially now that some of you say it has resolved the issue ??! Nelly are you based in the uk or elsewhere?... and how long ago was the fix applied?

7. He’s selling you a pup. I had the rear brake fix done, and it worked.

I heard some dealers don’t like doing the rear brake fix because it’s a ball ache. However, the fix is a must.

8. Hi Freerange, thmks for the heads-up. I'll insist for the next service. :upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
  9. Hi Freerange, how long have you had the Ducati fix completed for now???

10. Hi, I had the rear brake fixed pre-Covid.

11. Hi, thanks FR. Thats a good 3-4 year test then. I'll definitely get them to apply it.... :upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
  12. My X Diavel is a 2017 and had the same rear brake problem. The dealer told me that it was a "service recall" job and and fixed it and charged it to Ducati. I think they had to replace all the lines and seals. The job took them 7 hours!!

• Like Like x 1
  13. Thanks Mike, ill wait until the break fades again.... as theyve not long bled the rear brake....and then take it in for the service recall which I dont expect to be that that long. How long has your fix been applied now???

14. Since April this year. I've probably done 500 miles since then. Incidentally, months earlier,another dealer laughed when I asked them about the excessive travel on the brake pedal and suggested that I fix a wooden block to it.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information