1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Did Hamilton Bin The M1??!!

Discussion in 'Racing & Bike Sport' started by Nostromo, Dec 11, 2019.

1. The whole point is it would have been a few laps. No way Rossi could compete competatively in a modern F1 race as Hamilton could only dream of emulating Lorenzo. Andy

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. Exactly! Just like qualifying every weekend its just a few laps too! Though y'know i want you to be right, and Rossi to be even more of a star than he obviously is. Forca Italia.

3. Rossi has always impressed during many f1 tests, over the years, in a Ferrari,

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. #44 Jez900ie, Dec 12, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2019
  5. Not to bad on a crosser either.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Link missing Jez?

7. Oops - a hard day at the polls!

8. Exactly. And the same with Hamilton on a GP bike. 4 seconds is a lifetime but if he's that good with basically no practice imagine what he'd be like with tracktime for a factory team.

Complete bullshit, the fact it isn't legit makes a mockery of it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Yup. Beryllium valve seats and liner plating. They also used titanium hollow gas filled valves and variable real time throttle stacks.

The rebuilds were not really the Illmor engine but more to do with Dave Ryan insisting that the crew strip the car down at the end of every days session and rebuild it. Came to an end when parc Ferme' came in but until then the crew some nights would be there till 3am putting the thing back together, then getting up at 6 for the days activity.
    That's why the west era cars used to shit themselves and then you'd discover it was down to a gearbox or oil pipe o-ring.

regarding the lap times - not wholly surprising and don't forget these two aren't under race conditions, which are a different bag altogether. Rossi often was under 2s of Schumacher's lap times in the Ferrari but that didn't mean he would be able to cut it in a race.

Lewis, like Vale is a racer through and through, and that guy can grab anything by the scruff of the neck and make it work - he rags engines to within an inch of their life and punishes brakes beyond belief compared to other drivers.

It's a nice bit of publicity for sure for Monster energy and the two respective drivers and teams, but there's no way Mercedes Racing are going to drop their 30million plus cash cow and take a risk on a MotoGP rider with no form in a Formula1 car, and certainly not one that old (relatively speaking).

F1 should really have a Strictly come Racing type of event, or a sort of wild card entry concept, where the likes of drivers from other series / formulas / machines get to play without a risk to the main team.

You could easily put Valentino in the T-car for example and have him as a wildcard at Monza or San Marino for instance. It's whether the FIA would allow it to happen.

I don't know whether a FIM race licence would be allowed to be transferred by the FIA or whether you'd need to build your points so to speak.

#50 Sev, Dec 16, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. I find all the speculation about spins, falls and lap times a bit odd. I’d rather just see the whole clip of the swap including spins and falls, with both saying how hard they are to ride/drive when pushing to get a fast time. None of us on here who have an interest in bikes and riding fast believe Hamilton was within 4 seconds of Rossi’s time so why make it up?

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. but 4 seconds is a massive gap in racing terms. And that's without the pressure of other racers on the track.
    I don't disbelieve it myself. What I'd like to know is how far off Valentino was from Hamilton's time.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. The wildcard / strictly idea is great. That would be very entertaining.
    I’d like to see Rossi enter WEC. That series would benefit from his halo and a VR46 WEC team would bring many many new fans to the sport.

• Like Like x 1
  13. I think Rossi would rock WEC, he's got the smoothness and consistency needed for an endurance race.

And endurance racers need to be fast... very fast...

#54 Sev, Dec 17, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. As suspected, bullshit. Hamilton did a 1:42 which would mean Rossi would have been cruising at around a 1:38 for him to be 4 seconds off of him.

lap record is 1:29. 1:42 is fast fast group trackday pace round there

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  15. Tbf 1.42 is pretty good round there. He's have spanked me! But yeah, total BS saying he'd be 4 seconds off Rossi.

As you know 1.50 is well quick round Jerez. I watched the MotoGP boys testing there after my track days wobble fest. I timed them at 1.39 which would give LH a virtual lap of of 1.43 round Jerez. No chance.

16. youve lost me.. (not hard!) but how you working out his virtual lap time?

17. If Rosi did a 1.39 as a guide, he would be 4 second behind = 1.43 :eyes:

• Face Palm Face Palm x 1
  18. depends what you define as good I guess. It’s good as a trackday time but it’s not fantastic.

Ive never been to Valencia so can’t comment but a friend of mine did a 1:42 round there years ago back when he wasn’t that quick. He’s much quicker now. Him and I are a similar pace possibly me a bit quicker, so using that thought process it’s not that great.

My other mate did a 1:41 round there on a standard 675 Daytona ..

not denying it’s not a shabby time, but the media properly over sold it.

19. Ah sorry. I’ve confused it with Valencia and Jerez.
    LH did a 1.42 round Valencia, which I’d be delighted with. But he’s still light years away from Rossi. It was claimed in the film clip earlier in this thread that LH was lapping within 4 seconds of Rossi. Which is highly likely to be bollox.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information