1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Differences between ST2 - ST3 - ST4

Discussion in 'Sport Touring' started by bikerfabo, Aug 1, 2012.

1. I'm looking to get a RED '99/03 ST2 - ST3 - ST4, not sure which one as I haven't quite understood the difference between them (any help?)

Has the ST2 got enough power and down-low torque for Touring with pillion and luggage?

Thank you for your reply,

Cheers,

Fab

2. Hi, don't know the exact difference other than there seem to have been 3 different engines, 916,944 & 992. I personally plumped for an ST3 but mainly because I don't like the oval headlight on the ST2 & 4. The 3 has a 3 valve 992 engine and has plenty of power for my needs. There are more 2 & 4's for sale but there are very few 3's in the country anyway. I love mine and don't want to sell it ever, it has so much character that I just smile every time I go out on her. There is a thread on here about a 4 for sale on eBay if that's any help. Good luck with your search, you won't be disappointed!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. I dont know why you have limited your search to earlier than 03 bikes but the ST4S that i posted about on here that Archer refers to would be a storming bike for the asking price.
    Get it properly serviced and waft off to Europe for a few weeks !

• Like Like x 1
  4. ST2 - 944cc 2 valve engine, torquey but limited on RPM ( redline around 9000). Loads around at £1500 up, very cheap and lots of bike for the money. Enough power to tour with luggage easily, as long as you're happy to do it at 80 or 90 mph. Very simple and cheap / easy to maintain.

ST3 - development of the engine with clever 3 valve engine, only 3 valve Ducati produced to date. More power than ST2, good blend of revs and torque. Hard to find as fewer around for sale. Later design than ST2.

ST4/4S - 4 valve superbikes engines, fast and powerful but less reliable and much higher maintenance costs.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  5. I have an ST2 as my workhorse Ducati. It's never going to win any beauty contests but it's a great bike. Plenty of torque to cope with luggage and a pillion and mine has been totally reliable. It's very comfy and on a recent run to Spa, with luggage, at motorway speeds, returned 50mpg!! They're not known as Ducati best kept secret for nothing, and there's a good reason that those who own them keep them!

• Like Like x 2
  6. Just remember that the ST2 and the early ST4 and ST4S with the oval lights are USELESS at night. The later ST4S has the same lights as the ST3, plus it has a wet clutch too.....

• Like Like x 1
  7. Would any of the st dudes reccomended one for training then ???? As apposed to the traditional BMW or trumpet etc I was thinking thundercat but I'm a duke whore

• Like Like x 1
  8. I don't find the headlamp too bad at night, and as a training bike it's be OK, nice turning circle and fuel range etc. Mine still has stock pipes and I've even kept the rubber gasket in place on the dry clutch cover so it's quiet! A touring bike for me has to be easy on the ears as I find a constant drone can be a bit much after a few hours!

• Like Like x 1
  9. The only thing that would stop me recommending mine is that at town speeds it runs rough, this may be something wrong with it ( any ideas anyone), if this is a problem that is easily solved then I would give it a big thumbs up. With my mix of A & B road plus a bit of town riding I'm getting nearly 60mpg.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Zimbo, where do you get "less reliable" for the 4 valve engines ?

Not one of the people i know with one have had an issue worthy of comment. Apart from bumping mine which was my fault i have never had a problem. Its the later style and it does not have a wet clutch either just to correct what someone said.

• Like Like x 1
  11. i have owned 1999 ST2, and a 2005 ST3, I have also ridden a ST4S, there is one on fleabay at the moment a ST4S new model. but its not cheap. ST3S shape ie same clocks and newer headlight etc.

The later ST2 after 2000 is a good buy silver frame, no electric troubles. I find the ST3S, a great bike does everything, better clocks, better seat, great tank range, and handles really well. If you are doing loads of 2 up riding fully loaded then go for the ST4S. 2000 model silver frame. Even the ST4 916 engine are pretty good. All the ST range are great bikes.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Some have the dry clutch, the later ones had a wet clutch.....

#13 nogaromill999, Aug 1, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 1, 2012
    • Like Like x 1
  13. The 916 / 996 engines are well known for having issues with chrome flaking off the rockers, requiring replacement at fair expense. Issue solved on the 998 on due to increased oil flow to the top end.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Funnily enough that issue does not seem to affect the ST4/s bikes .

No doubt someone will reply and say theirs has but in the main this is not an issue that blights the ST's and i dont know anyone that has suffered this on their ST4/S

• Like Like x 2
  15. I have owned all three models.

The ST2 is a brilliant reliable and quality tourer but lacks power for big European two-up tours with kit. It is however very well built. 944cc 89bhp

The ST3 is a beautiful engine but let down by piss-poor ground clearance and low quality suspension so when touring two-up it is too easy to 'ground' the exhaust. The ST3S comes with better suspension but still has the poor ground clearance on the exhaust. 992cc 98bhp

The ST4S that I have is an 05 model with the ST3 style fairing but has the dry clutch.(later than 2005 they had a wet clutch but there were only about 5 of them built before the ST was dropped).
    The ST4s is without doubt the most powerful, versatile and fun and of course enjoys the comfort of the others. 996cc 117bhp (in standard gearing it is quicker 0-60 than the 996 or a fireblade)

I owned my ST2 for 6 years and have had my ST4S for 7 years. I got rid of the ST3 after 9 months.

Me and Mrs Nothingbettertodo have toured in Europe on all three bikes and the full luggage set is superb quality, never leaks, light weight and the bike is supremely comfortable. They have all been faultlessly reliable even in 40degree temperatures in central Spain in August. I am an ST addict!!!

• Like Like x 5
  16. Hmm, having just rolled over 42k miles on 2002 ST4s, I can't agree with the reliability comment.

Cracking bikes all, but horses for courses!

A

17. on a 2004 st4s now at 34000 miles and she has been very good to me so far......touch wood.

18. I ran a 2001 ST4s for a couple of years. And toured Europe in style. Two faults-- we lost the rear box rack plate and all!! never to be seen again.More seriously though was a failure of the C.P.U. in central France. We had to repatriate the bike and return home on the train. NOT FUN.The only up side to that was Not having to pay my local dealer £860.00 + V.A.T. Fortunately through work contacts I found Injection Correction, and some £100 later was back on the road.

19. I have noted a couple of coments about the poor lights on the ST2 and have to agree, does anyone have a a bulb upgrade they can recomend ?

Do Not Sell My Personal Information