1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Differences between ST2 - ST3 - ST4

Discussion in 'Sport Touring' started by bikerfabo, Aug 1, 2012.

1. I fitted a Hids pair on my bike. They wereok but the reflector was gone. So I bite the bullet and fitted a US version.I think it was called Ducati design. Check them out. It was a VERY good light but expensive. As I did shift work and live in north essex with some interesting lanes it proved to be worth it. I still have the Hids if you are interested??

2. All you the info about the different versions is here.

3. The Desmoquattro engines have known issues with the chrome flaking off the rockers, which can be expensive.

Not all engines are affected, but enough for it to be a well known issue, just search on here and Google it!

Had to replace 4 rockers on my ST4, which had been religiously serviced from new and had done less than 10k miles.

Best fix is to get Dave Newman Cams to do refurbish the rockers with a Sellite pad. This has a good reputation as a fix and I can personally recommend them.

Don't ignore any signs of flaking (you can only really tell by removing the cams) as left unchecked you can kiss goodbye to the cams too.

If in any doubt, ask Rich at Louigi Moto, he has a huge cardboard box of knackered Desmoquattro rockers under a bench!

All that said, I bitterlybitterl having to had to sell her following redundancy. They truly are the most underrated of all the Ducati models IMHO with the best balance between power, handling and comfort.

#24 Samurai, Mar 15, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  4. ST2
    • 944 two-valve

ST3
    • 992 three-valve

ST4
    • 916 four-valve

ST4s
    • 996 four-valve.
    • Ohlin shocks.
    • Brembo brakes. (and the option of ABS)
      • brakes and slightly thicker discs
    • Carbon fiber rear hugger.
    • Aluminum swingarm.
    • Forks - Titanium-Nitride Showa
    • Wheels - Marchesini 5-spoke (Cast) which are lighter than ST2/4
    • Pre-2001 The ST4 had 10mm motor mount bolts whereas the ST4s has 12mm bolts.
      There are few other minor things but that's the gist of it...

I have clocked 51k on my 02 ST4s and had no issues with the actual engine for reliability. The only issues I have had are starter issues, but upgraded earth wire, and battery cables, starter motor brushes and resolved that.

Yes the ST2/4/s headlights are as useless as tits on a bull, you can get better bulbs, which helps, but it is the actual projector itself that is useless... and if you can get the replacement Ducati Designs headlight, get it without hesitation, but they are even rarer than hens teeth... but if you can find one on a duke being dismantled or something jump on it. I wish I could here in NZ but some laws have changed and I have only ever seen one duke with it converted...

I have also replaced my ECU which now bypasses the immobiliser and installed an alarm with flashing LED on the dash where the immobiliser LED is. And the small issue here is my aftermarket ECU doesn't turn the fan on when she gets hot, (It's a fault they trying to sort and were working at the time, I could have tried another on and it could have worked) But just ended up I having a switch on the dash pannels I can manually switch it on.

5. The ECUs are different ST4 to ST4s. ST4s uses the IAW59M ECU, similar to the Monster S4 and the 996 superbike, with the ECU mounted on the battery box.

6. A wolf in sheep's clothing. IMG_20210331_144905_edit_45575378108667-01.jpeg

• Like Like x 2
  7. Hardly sheep’s clothing with those wheels, blimey they’re bright!
    :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. Flaking rocker chrome on Desmoquattros is common (ask me how I know!). Rich at Louigi Moto has a big box full of knackered ones! Can be refurbished with much better stellite by Dave Newman Cams. Not every bike has issues but it's still quite common. Ducati had 17 revisions of the rockers from 815 onwards and the last was no better than the first. Refurbishment fixes permanently for about £80 a pop IIRC.

My main bearings wore out in under 10k due to Ducati over-shimming crank at the factory according to Louigi Moto, but that's not a common fault, just general Ducati nonsense!

Loved my ST4 though and was gutted to sell it following a redundancy. Very underrated bikes but high maintenance coasts unless your good with spanners.

• Like Like x 2
Do Not Sell My Personal Information