1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Disc Bolts

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by cookster, Oct 31, 2017.

1. Hi gents, is it best to use original bolts or are stainless a better option?? Cheers.

2. It depends on the definition of "better".

3. well they wont rust.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. I have titanium.
    If your speedo sensor works off the disc bolts, that can be an issue but it’s not insurmountable.

5. I use titanium too, I just can't be arsed anymore with 'soft' headed bolts.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Ps. Stainless would be fine, and a damn sight cheaper if you're not saving grams.

7. You're probably going to get dire warnings that SS should not be used due to the material properties, I believe it's more likely to fracture due to the Chrome content.

If you're a heavy braker or tracking it I'd err on the safe side and use either Steel or Ti.

Personally I have SS in mine but I only use the bike on the road and don't use fistfuls of brake all the time

Just saying others will be along to give you it chapter and verse, there have been long discussions on here about it before

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. yeah there going on my track bike as im getting a spare set of wheels, and im quite heavy on the brakes.

9. My 750 SS had good quality stainless bolts (A2) when I sold it - they were at least five years old.

The bike was as near as dammit set up suspension wise for track use and I used the front brakes quite heavily at times (plus I even got the rear brake working well enough to use that quite hard as well).

Never had any issues with the low head stainless bolts that I fitted - however I did try some others much earlier but I found the sockets were too small and they were prone to ringing out - I thought they may be a bit risky.

The problem with stainless IMO is the combination of stainless + aluminium is a bit dodgy, even when loctite is used, although it is worse when copper grease is used - corrosion in the aluminium can cause the threads to tear out.

As for shear in stainless bolts, considering there are at least six bolts to each of two front discs, the chances of shear across all twelve bolts is unlikely, but not unknown. But then given that HT bolts may be a little bit stronger in shear than stainless; the strength of HT bolts is not a measure of shear and it is obviously a measure of tension. Totally different loadings.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. There used to be an issue with some earlier bikes and the hall effect (speedo sensors) as there was too little ferrous content in the bolts to create any magnetic induction and the sensor could not therefore work effectively. Most of the new crop of bikes take their pick up from the ABS rings, so no longer a problem. Not saying SS bolts will affect your particular bike, but it has been known to afffect certain models.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. I have used SS bolts on my wheels for track and road bikes. Never had a problem with them such as strength, corrosion or seizing in the wheel.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. I had stainless bolts on my last 3 bikes, no problems. Switched to Ti bolts a couple of years ago then back to the steel bolts for the speedo sensor. I’ve got a set cheap if you want them mate. :upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Like Like x 2
  13. I refrained from. SS bolts having read they don't have the tensile strength. I wonder now though. If you watch MotoGP practice and see them changing discs on wheels it appears they only use three bolts granted probably titanium but if three titanium bolts can keep a carbon disc on a MotoGP bike. I don't think we need to worry about 6 stainless bolts

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  14. In order to restore the functionality of the speedo sensor, I embedded ferrous ball bearings in the socket heads of the titanium bolts, using clear silicone sealant.
    Works a treat.

• Useful Useful x 3
  15. Are the the disc bobbins not stainless.I cant recall many of those shearing off.

16. Hadn’t thought about that. Nice one :upyeah:

17. LOL Great point I'm not with the "Sky will fall" if you install SS, but a long time back there was thread that got pretty heated regarding the pros and cons

Not Ducatis but I've seen similar threads on SS wheel spindles and engine mounts on Guzzis too and I've got both in a couple of them, so far nothing terrible has hapened

John

18. guys ive ordered some standard bolts off evil bay, im just going to get them re zinced so they look new, best of both worlds then :upyeah:

• Like Like x 2
  19. I've used stainless without issue and I'm a goddamn trackday god!
    I usually go for the button head jobbies...:cool:

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
Do Not Sell My Personal Information