1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Disc Locks - Are They Worth It ?

Discussion in 'Diavel & XDiavel' started by vee--man, Apr 27, 2015.

1. T
    Waste of time having a cover unless it's a Thatcham approved cover, insurance companies will be all over this idea like a rash, we'll all be having to cover your bike when it is left unattended more than 500 mtrs from your home address.

#21 Drinky, Apr 28, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2015
  2. At it again Drinky... Now I know why you have that name. 500. try's? Little tipple after work? Haha.

I was fretting when mine was stolen. Not in the garage but parked out front whilst I was getting ready for work. Before the 0700 garage deadline too. They paid out straight away no questions asked.

3. so, sounds like trackers , chains and Rottweilers then. Thanks all.
    I'll need to add tracker to shopping list.........

4. Tracker aint gonna stop anything getting knicked.
    All its good for is possible insurance reduction and recovery after the fact.
    Depending on who has had it and what they have done to it, its sometimes better to not get the bike back, than be presented with your pride and joy after its been savaged and subjected to an unsympathetic joyride by a gang of scrotes.

5. So dont use the bike to go to the shops? Where do you lot live, LA!?!

If it stops opportunist scumbag pushing it round the corner, its worthwhile. Makes them move on to another

• Like Like x 1
  6. One of my guys had his hayabussa stolen last month "no taste I know".
    Was parked outside clients house just off Kings Rd Chelsea.
    10:30am, alarmed and trackered up.
    Bike has not been recovered, he didn't hear alarm go off and tracker went dead at Lambeth bridge, "probably in the Thames" imagine lifting a hayabussa into a van not the lightest of bikes !

7. When I enquired about fitting a tracker the saving I'd make on my policy was peanuts compared to the cost of tracker and yearly subscriptions. My thought is "if it's not a term of the insurance it's not worth the outlay".

#27 Drinky, Apr 29, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2015
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Take a pillion then they can stay with the bike while your shopping
    Job done :)

• Like Like x 3
  9. To original question:
    Anything that makes the bike harder to steal for the opportunistic thief is a good plan. In this respect a good disk lock is a good plan. Choose them carefully - some are complete rubbish and can be removed or broken in seconds. So read up.

This is a similar sort of question to protective riding gear; it's all about compromise and risk. If you fall off, then the full leathers with body armour everywhere is best, but to go to the shops 5 miles away, this may not be practical. On the other hand, if you're going to spend all day in the saddle, it's probably what you'd choose.

Similarly locks. I'm not about to start carrying around 4 or 5 kg of chain with me to pop into a couple of boutiques, but if I was leaving the bike all day for a major city centre spree (which I wouldn't as I couldn't get all the loot home on it) then maybe a chain would make sense.

• Like Like x 1
  10. I have a tracker and wouldn't have a bike without one nowadays, however they're not infallible. Mine is the best one (BikeTrac) and thinks it's currently 60 miles from where it's actually is. Trackers can be jammed inexpensively and professional teams know this.

11. I'm having trouble reconciling the notion of "best" with "accurate to within 60 miles".

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. The GPS updates every 2 hours or so. It updated before entering my nuclear bunker, where it now resides almost grid free. Everything's fallible.

13. I have BikeTrac and it's always been spot on. It is the newest model, only fit a few weeks ago. I get no signal round my way but the tracker always shows its position perfectly. I have however turned off the bike down alerts as I (and the missus) got a couple of false alarms (must be riding too hard [emoji38]).

14. Mine is the latest version and usually spot on as well. There's certain environments and circumstances which defeat (any) tracking system (as with all security solutions). Disc locks, chains, GPS tracking, all have limitations. That was my point :)

15. anyone with some knowledge and £5 can disable any gps tracking system of ground vehicals.
    best you can hope for is very thick bandits.:Hilarious:

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. A couple of fellas with a Hilti broke into a safety deposit vault. Everything can be stolen, still doesn't mean I won't spend everything I reasonably can to stop that happening. That or I may as well leave it outside with the keys in if the best I can hope for is very thick bandits

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. that is the best you can hope for,,very very very thick bandits.

all my trucker mates have a jobbie thatll remove them from the companies tracking sytem at the flick of a switch.

i had one a couple of years ago,cost me a fiver,biggest problem with it was it also kills the gps mapping etc,so nobody knows where i am but then i often didnt either :Hilarious:

im only slightly thick(possibly very) and truckers arent generally the cleverist out there either..pretty sure people who make a living stealing expensive items will have decent tools for the job.

like i said take the car,shopping is what cars are for.

18. Many criminals are thick. That's why they end up getting caught.
    You could say that prisons are full of thick people.
    Although a professional bike-stealing ring will be alive to stratagems, your average dope fiend (responsible for an awful lot of crime - maybe most of it) may well not be. Hence trackers and disk locks have some utility.

• Like Like x 1
  19. I stayed away from specifics of how to overcome trackers, some tea leaves can google :)

20. They know the specifics so don't worry about posting info as they are way ahead already .Ive been running a abus disk lock for many yrs and its done its job.Not had any proper thieves have a go as im sure it wouldn't put them off.But the average bod in the street even seems to think my disk lock reminder cable is a alarm system so they don't even touch it.

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information