1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Diy Zinc Plating

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by rhubarb and custard, Apr 23, 2020.

1. Having watched a few YouTube rebuilds and now restoring a DR350 on a budget, I've just started trying some home zinc plating and yellow passivate for a gold bzp finish, after much reading up and more YouTube watching I've put together a simple kit and its going better than I expected.
    Any hints tips do's and don'ts to achieve a nice finish without spending a fortune would be really helpful.
    Ta very much IMG_20200423_2115331_rewind.jpg

• Like Like x 4
  2. Same old story , really ...
    It’s all in the prep
    1, Clean, rinse
    2, Clean again .. rinse again
    3, Polish .. that means polish, not clean then use wire brush briefly
    3 , Clean , this means really clean. Then really rinse
    4, electrolysis or alkaline clean
    5, rinse ..
    6 , activate
    7, de-embrittlement if needed
    8, passivate
    9,rinse
    10 , fit to bike

3. Ive done a lil bit of of this. was 5 years ago mind. i bought a kit off classic plating which came with pretty much everything for not a bad price.. looks like you have an air hose running in there? apparently that is quite important as is getting the solution to the right temp. for that i was supplied with and used a fish tank heater. cant remember the exact temp it needed to get up to, but to get best results it should be within a certain temp range.
    another thing is when not in use, seal off the solution really well. i dont know how this works but i didnt cover the solution for a few weeks and everything metal within a few feet went really rusty really fast!!!!

• Useful Useful x 1
  4. Had the same experience as chizel with things rusting up because of the solutions being left open to the air. That stuff will rust everything and anything that is in the vicinity, make sure it is well sealed up after use.

• Useful Useful x 1
  5. Thanks for the replies, I'm ok with the process , everything is getting an acid dip after prep , and I'm using a bubbler to keep the solution on the move. I'm using a phone charger as the power supply but might up grade at some point. Good tip about air tight lid on everything when not in use. :upyeah: and fish tank heater I think I read 15 to 20 degrees ?

6. So far so good, I've swoped the spanner for some copper pipe.! IMG_20200422_183041.jpg IMG_20200424_065824.jpg

• Like Like x 2
Do Not Sell My Personal Information