1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do You Think Marquez Will Eventually Eclipse Rossi And Become The New Goat ?

Discussion in 'Racing & Bike Sport' started by NOODS X, Aug 4, 2019.

1. To be racing the best, and beating most, at 40 is incredible. Watching that documentary yesterday (which I think may have been 2016 made) Doohan said he worries for Rossi as he was racing when Doohan was. And not just racing: winning world titles. Yet is still racing at the very top.

The challenger for Marquez will be maybe 5 years time. He starts to slow, fast young maniacs are all around him, bikes are different, will he still be winning races.

#81 bradders, Aug 27, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 3
  2. Champions adapt, albeit some quicker than others, Marquez has that natural ability on a motorcycle so yes I think he can win as long as he wants to.

3. Rins has the potential to stop MM in the next few years

4. Probably, yes. What we have to remember about MM is that he absolutely exploded onto the scene and became top dog in sharp order. There was no pissing about getting the hang of MotoGP- he was fighting for podiums on day 1, like he is now. I think in the new next few years only MM can beat MM. If he stays focused and hungry, he'll remain top dog for as long as he wants.

I don't remember anyone quite like him as a total package for winning races. Stoner, maybe? It's a shame Stoner threw the towel in. That would have kept things very interesting.

5. Stoner didn’t have half of what MM has. MM got the breaks early, deservedly so tbf, so entered the top class younger.

Doohan said `Rossi was the same, just entered later. Rossi also said that MM, being so young and the way he is so aggressive with both bike and racing, can beat both his records and become the best rider ever. And this was after their spat... and imho that’s what sets Rossi apart: regardless of what’s happened, he has his moan, he uses his mind games, but he always gives credit where it’s due.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. I think MM will set new targets / records as did Rossi and Doohan before him.. Difficult to call best / greatest rider of all time due to different eras in my opinion. Bit the like the boxing argument would Tyson have beaten Ali etc etc

Take Usain Bolt one of the finest 100/200m sprinters we have seen for a very long time going to be a while before his records go, but they will given time..

Im not a huge fan of MM and the year Rossi was going for his 10th title I think the thing that sent him way down in my books is when in the last race of the season when VR started form the back of the grid, MM rode shotgun for Lorenzo and stopped Dani from attacking Lorenzo.. One of the most aggressive riders in the past few years MM sat right up Lorenzos arse and didnt attack once, didnt even show him a wheel...Only time he attacked was to almost punt Dani of the track when Dani moved on Lorenzo....shithouse trick that was.

Im a huge fan of Motogp and like to watch the racing regardless but it is great when someone sticks it to MM like Rins did last time out. MM is a great talent for sure and really exciting to watch and he will set the bar higher for the next great rider to get over but he will never have the following that Rossi has.

I think the GOAT doesn't just mean what the rider does on the track its also the presence Rossi has. MM will no doubt become the BOAT but its the presence Rossi has where ever he goes that is something MM will never have and will be a long time before we see someone again like Valentino and Usain Bolt that have that presence..

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Rossi made a powerful enemy in Marquez during that press conference. He fucked up there. Marquez has pretty much shafted him ever since.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information