1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dodgy Ducatis On Ebay

Discussion in 'Ducati General Discussion' started by cookster, Nov 17, 2018.

1. I only buy from known sellers whenever possible and always through eBay / PayPal avoid anyone with low or poor feedback

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. #22 AirCon, Nov 18, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 19, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 3
  3. yes but the problem is that all these 100% feedback accounts are from eBay accounts that have been hacked. I was looking at a vw camper last week that was supposed to be on sale through an established motor trader . i googled his business details and got his real phone number and rang him . He had no idea that his account had been hacked.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  4. If I couldn't actually inspect the vehicle and the vehicle paperwork HPi the vehicle who in right mind pays out any money without doing basic checks
    Cars, Bikes, Motorhomes, are like buses there will be another along in a minute

5. Yes, me. I’ll write about it later, off to work right this minute!

• Like Like x 1
  6. He’s also got some nice Gold Stars on at £3k or £5400 buy it now. He sent me an email a week late with some nice photos of bike, UK number, looks UK background but bike is in Italy and he’ll ship it to Orkney for me to go and view! A fool and his money is always easily parted but some one ought to get this b******d.
    Mal

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. What's different about these latest is that the scammer has managed to insert his/her email address into the "seller account" details.
    Before, you could tell by the different email address you were asked to use-now the email address matches that in the hacked account details. Sneaky.
    The scammer invariably is unable to accommodate a viewing, as they're overseas/working away, but they assure you that your £ will be refunded by PayPal if you're not happy, once you've paid and the bike is delivered to you!
    I'm sure they will sell you a bridge if you're after one...

8. I've been looking at a Honda race bike that he's so called selling , think eBay are onto it as they keep deleting the ads.

9. A visiting engineer at work had a call off his wife a week ago, she had been duped by a seller of a horse box and had transferred £11,000 while he was away on business at our place. He dashed off home, he wasn't too happy o_O

• Face Palm Face Palm x 2
    • WTF WTF x 1
  10. So, on ebay about 8 or 9 yrs ago I sold a hardtop for an Alfa Romeo Spider as I had already sold the car previously.
    A buyer from overseas, (markjvdb) bid and came to collect the item, previously paid via paypal, fitted it to his car and drove off back to the UK, on arriving home contacted paypal, requested a refund claiming that the item was not suitable. As there was no proof of postage, paypal refunded the total amount leaving me with no money and an item now in a different country and in the hands of the fraudulent buyer.
    Paypal were an absolute fucking nightmare; after months of back and forth I reported the matter to the UK police and eventually got the hardtop back and sold it to a genuine buyer (again via e-bay) cash on collection.
    I’m a hard one to take money off unjustified, so I overdrew my paypal account to exactly the same amount as the sale and cancelled the bank card that was linked to it, then terminated the account. They hassled me for about three or four years before giving up, the butt fucking cock suckers!

• Like Like x 5
  11. How did you get the hard top back from another country? Thats brilliant - I am very pleased to see you didn't get effed over.

Since you got your hard top back and resold it, why did you need to overdraw your paypal account? I'm confused - unless you did it to get "compensation" from them?

12. I drove over and collected it and stuck it in my van the next time I came to the UK after filing a complaint with the old bill. I meant to say that I only overdrew my account for the difference between the first and the second sale price. The only thing it cost me was the stress and hassle of getting it back. If you look at the feedback on my ebay account from 10 yrs ago (newjoec243) you can see the details.
    As for paypal, I wouldn’t give them the steam off my piss!

• Like Like x 1
  13. And most amazingly markjvdb(if one and the same as your "client") has 100% feedback...a joke.

14. I’m still
    Waiting
    For
    That uncle
    Of mine in Nigeria that I didn’t know I had to send me that 6 million pounds he promised after I sent him 20 k to give to border control to release him

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Another 27 dodgy listings again today, slightly different tactic listing a variety of prices. All UK registered bikes strangely being sold by someone in Italy. Looked at the account and the seller has listed thousands of items for sale. eBay security is becoming (if it isn’t already) a joke. Andy

• Agree Agree x 3
  16. Whatever happened to the good old auto trader days when the lady would come out and photograph your vehicle for sale lol

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Nah.... Want a real laugh.. I'm still pissin meself. . Search 900ss on ebay at moment there's a complete LUNATIC asking £34.800 for a 77 bevel.... Its an unrebuildable mess of quite never seen the likes of.... What feccin planet is this spanner on.. . Can't hyperlink from my phone .. Seriously have a look..

18. I didn’t think the PayPal guarantee counted for motor cars / bikes? May be wrong...
    I have bought a vehicle off eBay unseen but it was far cheaper than £3,000 or more. I’m surprised people tip up that much for a vehicle they’ve not seen.
    Thinking back I didn’t pay for it unseen. I said I’d have it then turned up with the cash when I collected it. Had it been dodgy I’d have just had a wasted trip Portsmouth to Newcastle).

19. You’re correct. PayPal don’t cover vehicles. Although this fact doesn’t stop scammers (like our eBay Ducati sellers) stating that PayPal will guarantee a refund.
    Regards paying sight unseen, I sold a bike to a forum member-they paid up front and sent their courier to collect it! There are honest folks about, especially here.

20. The motorhome section of eBay seems to attract scammers if you Google motorhome scams on eBay it makes interesting reading

Do Not Sell My Personal Information