1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does anyone know a biker with a missing limb?

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Twin4me, Apr 5, 2012.

1. Really odd post I know but my daughter is doing a documentary photography degree at Newport in South Wales and her final year project is about people who have lost limbs and how they manage their lives. She is trying to show the positive side of disability and prosthetics as well as the challenges that people face in their lives and passions.

I was wondering if anyone knew a fellow biker (or anyone else) in this situation and if they might be prepared to be photographed?
    As I say she's currently in South Wales and we live in the London/Surrey area but she can travel some distance if the opportunity is there.

If you can contact me that would be great and I can you send her web address.
    my email is chris.hoskins (at) ellipsis.co.uk

She has a website if you have someone who wants to see her work and wants some reassurance that she's not trying to be sensationalist.
    Ellie Hoskins ยป Photographer

It would be a great help if you can put her in contact with anyone as she has been struggling to find enough people to make the project a success at the moment.

2. Good contact would be
    NABD

3. Twin4me - I suggest you post the same request on the ukmonster.co.uk forum. There has been a recent thread of some relevance: Being told you'll never ride again.... - Page 2 - UK Monster Owners Club Forum. GT, one of the regulars on there is a below the knee amputee, and he has previously posted pictures of a mate of his from NABD, Chris, who is clearly in the spirit of your daughter's project: http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/attachment.php?attachmentid=8788&d=1139001939. No idea if they'd want to be involved in a photo project though.

• Like Like x 1
  4. No fraid not, but I reckon there might be a few on here - if they go visit Frankie @ SMC ..... :biggrin:

5. The brother of a friend of ours who lost his arm rides a multistrada but unfortunately for your daughter, he lives in Newtonmore in the highlands and I doubt he'll be down south anytime soon.

6. My mate Badge lost his leg in a bike accident, the careless bugger. He's a right old character, I'll ask him if he's interested if I can sober him up...

7. I saw a guy racing in a clubman's meet at Brands - maybe last year, possibly on 1000's. He had one arm and was amazing - ahead of many other riders in the race.

8. There was a tv series that followed three amputees in their first year
    Clubman racing. Will try and track it down.

9. Thanks very much for all the links guys... I've registered on the Ducati Monster forum but have to wait for approval before I can post (I guess this is because I don't own a Monster!)

10. I've tried them but not got many responses (someone in Yorkshire and someone else in Scotland which a bit far for her to travel), I've recently posted again on their forum and contacted a couple of their local reps.

11. definitely contact NABD ,

I have met many amputees on bikes and trikes overt he years some with no arms , some legs , hands , hooks etc

12. Just wanted to say thanks for the link to the monster forum and JT, he was happy to spend time having his picture taken today - the result is a very happy daughter.

Thanks again Mrs C.

PS If anyone else still wants to help she would be happy to photograph a few more people

Do Not Sell My Personal Information