1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Donnington

Discussion in 'Trackdays & Rider Skills' started by Cream_Revenge, Jan 10, 2018.

1. Advice for girls yes? :)

2. Accommodation at Donners is bloomin' luxury (there are garages)!
    The only bit I never like is the bit where the Melbourne loop rejoins - that's horrible any which way. the back section of curves is great. It gets damn slippy when wet too *waves fist at Airport*.

I'd say it's a perfectly good track for a novice, but make sure you get instruction and take it steady. The main issue is other bikes. If there's someone riding inappropriately for the group it's not good (hands up, I've been on both ends of that one - and got a Deserved Telling Off).

My fave track in the UK is Cadwell Park "Hello Trees! Hello Sky! Hello Charlies! Hello marshal's post!"

• Like Like x 1
  3. oh "relative newbie" - you'll love it. But deffo get some instruction. And get your tyreswarm before trying heroics.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Is training really worth it? I can do 2 full TD's for the £ of 1/2 day with Ron Haslam school.

5. I wouldn’t bother with Ron Hallam personally. I definitely would recommend California Superbike School. Even if you don’t stretch to that, grab a free training session from one of the TD instructors (something I should do more of), because even improving one thing is worthwhile.

• Like Like x 2
  6. I was thinking more just getting one of the instructors on the day to show you round.

Training is a funny one. I've never done it (so am therefore fully able to talk about it...)
    It depends on many variables - not least on how you learn (I am a complete book person. I'd rather read about it than be shown it.) Having seen Ron race from a marshal's post at Donners (in a KRC endurance round), you could see when he was on the bike, he hit the apex +/- inches when the rest were +/- feet. So there is no doubt he is head and shoulders above when it comes to technique - whether he can pass it on is another question. When I met him once, he seemed extremely nice and to have time for everyone, which suggests he could be a good teacher.

There are lots of techniques that you can be shown. Whether you then benefit from his coaching on track will depend. If I had the time I would do it (even though I'm not sure if I'd actually benefit from it). I learned a lot when racing, and fibreglass is an expensive learning material...

• Like Like x 1
  7. I believe it is definitely worthwhile as it can put you months if not years ahead of where you would otherwise be in one day but whether it's better to do something like the Ron Haslam school with more one to one and theoretical instruction or just pay for someone to go out with you during your sessions at a trackday is up for debate. I had quite a lot of experience on track in cars and I still really benefited from doing the Ron Haslam course but I would say that the 600 course is more of an intro whereas the Fireblade elite course has a lot more time on track.

• Like Like x 1
  8. I pondered the same question. Then did a day with Simon Crafar at Almeria. I’d say it’s worth based purely on safety. You learn lines that will not push the front and give you room for mistakes (like out braking yourself) And you’ll go quicker without crapping yourself.

• Like Like x 1
  9. CSS is part classroom theory part practice. I’ve never heard anyone (regardless of experience) say it wasn’t worthwhile.

I’m sure Ron is a decent instructor as well, but when I went he wasn’t involved in my day at all. I met Leon, but that was only because his mum introduced us because I lived in the Maldives (long story!). So, whilst some people may have dealings with him on the courses there, not everyone does. So don’t base your decision to go on how good he undoubtably is, because it is slightly irrelevant.

• Like Like x 1
  10. To put what @royalwithcream said into perspective. I only got my bike license in 2007 at the ripe old age of 32. I didn’t have a biking background, and so did the first level of CSS a week after my test. Over the next 2 years I did level 2 and 3 and put 7,000 miles on my 848. I then entered the Desmodue series, qualifying 7th in my first race, winning races in my first season, and nearly winning the championship in my second season. Without training, that never would have happened in such a short period (of time and mileage)..... not to mention, it probably kept me alive. For me, training is a no brainer. It enables you to develop skills that others might take years and a number of crashes to work out.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. I find I have had to learn the same lessons over and over at 3-6mth intervals as I have 'pushed harder' to get quicker. It is almost always to go in faster and to ease the exit and wait for the apex before getting on the power. Its mentally easier to push harder on the exit than it is to go in quicker on the front so I end up getting to a point where I am becoming dangerous and relying on having good tyres. Ironically it is much more dangerous as you are more likely to highside or go wide pushing the exit too hard.

12. Has anyone done the James Witham course?

13. Wife just agreed to Ron Haslam day in April as my Valentine's/Easter present :upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
  14. Was just about to mention this. I've only ever heard good things about it and good value aswell. I'm doing it start of Aug double day at Anglesey for around £370 I think it is.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Only around 20 bikes on track at a time aswell I believe...

16. Donington is brilliant, you'll love it @Cream_Revenge ... I prefer it to Silverstone and wish it was a bit closer to me... As @royalwithcream mentioned be aware that on the loud days you'll find club racers in all the groups!! (Can be handy for advice and seeing lines, but a little intimidating when they come up the inside of you at the Melbourne hairpin!!) I've been 3 times and get there at about 7:45 and always found room for my bike and rucksack :cool:

17. Haslam and even California not worth the monies. But free track instruction is worth a lot, try to get 1 session with an instructor than practice what you leaned and ask him to follow you again towards the end of the day, to see if you improved.
    I shaved 2secs of my lap time at Rockingham just following an instructor as I was struggling to get smooth lines at the 3 left handers (where Royal crashed)

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  18. I quite fancy a bat on a CBR600RR anyway.

Will try it, see if it's for me. Early bird is £250 so not too bad.

19. Compared to silverstone, technical and narrow. Compared to cadwell or oulton, like a motorway

Just go and try it: its fast and flowing :upyeah:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  20. I done the RH school back in 2014 it was pouring down that day.
    We done 2 sessions at painfully slow speed then back to garages, the instructor went off without explaining a thing. Third session I got fed up and went past him. He was probably riding his own bike and took a carefull approach or I do not know what happened...
    The theory instruction in the classroom was very good and detailed, I learned something new that is better to keep at higher revs when wet as the torque does not come in suddenly...so kept the CBR600 above 9k all the time.
    Did not know that thing does not have slipper clutch went down through the gearbox only to slide sideways when releasing the clutch.:):)
    Might have been better on a dry day, either way could have done 2 track days for the cost

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information