1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Donnington

Discussion in 'Trackdays & Rider Skills' started by Cream_Revenge, Jan 10, 2018.

1. I've never learned anything from the free ones, yet I learned loads paying a proper coach on a 1:4 basis in Spain. Depends what you are trying to learn.

2. Yep I did Anglesey 18 months back, would recommend it,each group is only 15 to 20 max so very few bikes on track means you can concentrate on doing your own thing, top drawer racers for coaching 2 or 3 to each group probably best to be a bit proactive in getting them to follow/lead to stop someone else hogging them all day.
    IMO Creamy you'd be much better off doing this than the RH school. I think you've got to do the 600's first and unless it's changed a lot in the last 10 years I don't think it'll benefit you that much, IMO it's very much aimed at the novice. You've got a bike & all the tackle you could probably do a full 2 day Jamie Whitham course for not a lot more than a RH day and I'm absolutely sure you'll get a lot more out of it.

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Anglesy is 2 days back-back yeah? So I'd need a hotel and what do I do with bike/trailer overnight?

4. You don't have a motorhome?...

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. The circuit is right next to a well known kitesurfing beach, Rhosneigr, there are 2 or 3 campsites within 5 mins. Its an option. I think there is one called Bodfin Farm. Otherewise loads of B&B's, not sure where you would put the bike though.

6. Camp on site in the summer. Truly one of the most beautiful settings there is.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Just found he does it at Mallory which is a dam site closer and can do just 1 day. 98db limit isn't ideal though.......

8. Although I did think I was going to blow away there one night!

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. I like Mallory, though hard work as it's so small.

10. I hate Mallory with a passion.

• Face Palm Face Palm x 1
  11. Anglesey is an awesome track, shame it's such a mission to get to. I reckon the best tracks in the UK are Brands Hatch GP (too crowded to be the outright best), Oulton Park, and Anglesey. Donnington is definitely up there and feels like my home track but those others are really special.

12. why?

13. But not as much as Oulton :punch::joy:

14. I think the Airport/Donington in the wet thing is a bit of an urban myth, or certainly is according to the circuit staff. I've raced and done trackdays there in the wet, and it's not bad at all other than a couple of corners, certainly no worse than many other tracks in the wet (Silverstone is bloody awful)
    I don't have any wet race footage, but I have got some messing around on a very wet trackday

15. When the weather's good, Anglesey is a lovely place
    When it's not so good, you feel like you're either going to get washed away in the rain or blown into the sea.
    I've only ever been there when it's been hot and calm, and very cold wet and very windy. I'm doubtful that place has anything in between :)

16. camping at angelesy. Good unless it blows. We had to change our pitstop strategy on the no-budget cup so we could go and chase our tent with the van... OTOH, when club-racing there, we got red-flagged and held at the top of the circuit, and it soon became obvious we weren't going out again, and we all agreed the view as bloody lovely.

Mallory - looks a lot of hard work on a big bike. Good fun on a 600. and your classic "easy-to-learn, hard-to-master" course.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Never done Silverstone, so I can't compare. The staff would say that wouldn't they...
    Which corners? - AIUI it's supposed to be the bits in line with the main straight (as they are in line with the runway)
    when it gets in your mind that it's slippy it is hard to get it out.

18. I thought something similar, but how it was explained to me was that aviation fuel burns at around 600deg, so there is no tracable ‘oily’ residue, only carbon particles, and as for the slipperiest bits being the corners online with the runway, it was also pointed out that the planes go over at around 300m minimum in height, so even the slightest bit of wind or air turbulence would mean that the whole track would get a light covering, and not just the corners in line with the runway
    I’ve been round a load of wet racetracks, and genuinely don’t find Donington any worse from the others

19. Interesting, I've been told it was unburned fuel being dumped. the point about it being spread around is a good one.

The only time I have ever lost traction at Donington was hitting a frosty patch in the Melbourne loop in practice and getting my exhaust down unexpectedly...

20. Half the UK circuits are like ice in the rain, I dont think it's anything particular about Donnington being near the airport. McCleans and Coppice at the far end are notorious for crashes regardless of the weather as they are just tricky corners. I did a 100mph high side coming out of McCleans on the first lap of my first race last year, proper case of giving it too much beans on the first lap in the excitement :)

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information