1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Donnington

Discussion in 'Trackdays & Rider Skills' started by Cream_Revenge, Jan 10, 2018.

1. The only tracks I've every found more grippy than others in the rain is Almeria and Cartagena. Cartegena being grippier in the wet than some sections of circuits are in the dry
    Perhaps the Spanish just use better tarmac

Silverstone, on the other hand, is bloody awful in the rain. It's something to do with there being some many different types of tarmac on the track that makes it inconsistent, and where the new F1 start/finish is, the white grid lines for the start go around the last corner, and that's a wide open 3rd gearer, and hitting a white line in the wet on full throttle is no fun at all

2. Have you been on there recently @graeme4130 ? My mate lives in the village and has been saying that it's very grippy in the rain but I've not tried it in the wet.

3. There's definately something different with the Euro tracks; either the weather or the surface material they use. I've been around Portimao in heavy rain with slicks on and whilst it's obviously not a good idea due to the possibility of aqua planing I didn't feel too bad at all otherwise.

4. It always rains in Portimao, so they'd have to have good tarmac :)
    But yeah, they seem to use a better surface than UK tracks, and plan for bad weather better too, which is ironic when you think how little rain they have in Portugal (with the exception of Portimao) and southern spain

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. Let’s start with the crappy sloping space in the middle of the circuit (unless you want to pay to use one of about 5 bicycle sheds). Apart from Gerards it has nothing to offer. I’m pretty sure if that corner wasn’t there nobody would use it. The rest is nadgery and annoying. It is no surprise to me that BSB can’t be bothered with it.

6. Have you raced it Ron? I’m not a massive fan as I like more complicated circuits for Trackdays but the guys in Thundersport reckoned it was awesome to race at? I raced ( well tested and blew my engine at any rate! ) the old Snetterton layout last year which is kind of similar and it made me realise how good this type of simple layout could be when racing even though it’s a bit boring to trackday at.

7. We both have, at the same time funny enough ;) I quite like it (soft spot, first ever knee down) as on a small bike its fairly balls out but has loads of overtaking chances and some big balls bits. It also has a great test bed, as its got most type of corners so good for learning types of corner IMHO

• Like Like x 1
  8. Bloody hell mate bike in garage kip in car where's your sense of adventure :grinning:, there's fodder, beer and a fkin good craic with Whit and the racers on the 1st night, Steve Brogan does an evening track walk that's very enlightening as to what a racer sees/is aware of that'll change the way you ride. Anglesey's a brilliant circuit yeah if it rains it really rains and can be windy, but it never seems to set in all day, it can blow over and the track can be dry in 20 minutes. It's a bloody grippy circuit anyway which will give you confidence in the wet.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Agree. If weather than bad, chuck tent on garage (old cow sheds) or sleep in the car.

10. The cowsheds have gone the new ones are built from the very best Welsh very f'kin breezy blocks :)

11. Yeah I know, I've slept in them LOL

Word of warning, don't sleep by the windmill...

12. Yeah I know, I've slept in them LOL

Word of warning, don't sleep by the windmill...

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. Well, I attended the place to race 2 years in a row, but never actually got to race. The first year I had a fuel pump problem that would stop the bike running after 5 laps.... so I pulled out of 2 races (didn’t work it out until after). The second year I qualified 2nd, but my engine blew half way through qualifying, so I couldn’t start either race! I love Snetterton, but being simple isn’t Mallory’s problem. Being too small is..... in fact, not even too small (it is about the same as Brands Indy at 1mile, and I love brands), but it is the crappy little corners up the top end of the circuit. Like I said, nadgery... just not to my riding preferences.

14. Fair one mate, makes sense. I've had some good sessions there drifting many years back since it was one of the few circuits we managed to arrange proper drift track days on but they soon got stopped due to noise and smoke.

IMG_0640.JPG IMG_0641.JPG

Getting it wrong after entering Gerards at 100mph in a big ass stock BMW could be a bit hairy, thought I was going to go upside down on this one :) IMG_0642.JPG IMG_0643.JPG

21866_729306871702_248261_n.jpg

• Like Like x 3
Do Not Sell My Personal Information