1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Don't Try And Wear Two Piece Leathers

Discussion in 'Trackdays & Rider Skills' started by chrisb1299, Jun 29, 2022.

1. It works both ways.....

2. Maybe not low enough to be disposable in these times but £300 with a resale value of at least half that if you hated it? And that £300 is possibly negotiable if you're charming and nice, knowing the lovely people at Gearchange.

Maybe someone's had an oddball crash at Brands and everyone concerned has been given strict orders, or someone in charge has heard about something similar and is sensitive to even minor risks from two-piece leathers?

On a tangent, fella had a leg seam burst on a newish looking set of Scott leathers yesterday at Cadwell... that surprised me.

3. I've just done a track evening with MSVT at Brands Hatch and I was unable to squeeze into my already too tight one-piece leathers due to the new hard back protector rule.
    Brands two piece leathers.png
    I was a bit nervous about wearing Dainese two piece leathers following what I have read on here, even though they zip all the way around leaving a gap of about 2 inches at the waist band, but what actually happens is that the marshalls get you to raise your arms sat on the bike and if they see the gap in the leathers with t shirt or skin showing then you can't take part.
    There were a few people wearing two piece leathers particularly in the beginners - intermediate session but I didn't see any one removed from the session.

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Similar subject but slightly different. At Silverstone last week there was a guy there in a flip up GS style lid. He rode down the pit lane with it up then shut it as he got close to the pit exit. Not one question asked. The same guy (Ducati rider) thought it ok to be leaking oil but continue on track.
    Pratt!

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. On both counts!! They may be acu gold or whatever but I’d never trust one not to bust with a face plant

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Indeed. The SHARP tests found all flip fronts could sometimes burst open in a crash at road speeds.

• Useful Useful x 1
  7. I last did a track day 10 years ago. The expense of brake guards, different back protector, one piece leathers to have a wobble round in the novice group isn't worth the expense. Shame really.

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. I only do a few track days a year but from day one got a 'onesie'. I keep thinking about 2 piece to use on the road but i struggle with the concept of doing so when roads are generally more dangerous places.
    It would be interesting to know what testing is done on 2 piece leathers, or is it all guesswork and assumptions?
    Sure, there will be hospital data, but i bet that doesn't record whether a 2 piece had the zip done up or not?

9. I bought my first One piece leathers ( Dainese Safety Pro 1997) because I wanted to look cool...
    after being knocked off my 996 on the Ring back in 2000 the Dr said the suit and back protector had saved me from certain life changing injury's, even though I ended up in hospital for about 8 weeks with a broken pelvis and loads of back complications..
    I haven't worn a 2 piece suit since, even on the road.. it can be a bit uncomfortable but i consider it to be more and item of PPE than fashion nowadays

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. I've come back to riding after 20 years and am amazed at how casual most riders seem to be about this. I've watched the reviews and seen the dealers explaining that the new Denim like materials are safer, wear less and offer better protection from leather... Honestly I don't believe it. I just think riders are on average older and having less smashes - less data to show. Might be wrong, probably am, but I think I'll continue to wear my Hideouts for a few more years.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Some people believe what they are told because it's what they want to hear..
    As for wear leather can last a long time, if it's looked after. Cotton (denim) can't be as durable, in my opinion

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. It’s marketing bull. If these new Denim-like materials offered better protection than quality leather, MotoGP riders would wear them.

Unfortunately, the new CE standard (EN 17092) set the protection bar low. It enabled many jeans to pass the highest rating (AAA), meaning the consumer can’t differentiate them from quality leathers.

This excellent Bennetts article explains:
    https://www.bennetts.co.uk/bikesocial/news-and-views/features/product/motorcycle-ce-safety-standards

But you needn’t worry if you’re wearing Hideout leathers :upyeah:

13. If you make decisions based on hospitals and crashes, you’d give up biking.

Two piece are simply more convenient on the road.

• Like Like x 1
  14. They don’t claim to offer better protection tho: just better than denim and possibly as good as textiles.

15. +1 from another Hideout wearer.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1

16. every crash you walk away from is a bonus ;)

17. I don't, but I'll wager that's where at least some of the statistics come from

18. What, 2 piece? Nah. Not buying it. A two piece that’s zipped together does a good job. The risk is zip burst and that the back protector is probably shatter as the zip gets in the way.

I’d wager most hospital visits are to take wipeout and nothing to do with what’s being worn or, ironically, from tracks and racing where all are wearing 1 piece ;)

• Like Like x 1
  19. Sorry yes don't doubt the zips work, what i meant, how many people don't bother doing the zip up on the road... I can't answer that

• Like Like x 2
  20. I have worn a zipped two piece came off slipped and rolled along the road
    Jacket stayed attached to trousers they both held up being scuffed even my gloves did the job thankfully winter gloves
    Fractured one shoulder dislocated the other and my collar bone

wore leather trousers with a leather jacket luckily they zipped together but just a small piece at the back
    Came off slide across a junction along with bike hit the kerb
    Both jacket and trousers stayed together
    Broken meniscus and fractured cartilage in my knee

hospital said for both times that my riding gear had held up very well
    Both times refused to cut leathers off me

Both sets fitted snug and I think that helps a lot as there is no room for much movement

I think I said I wore a two piece on the ducatisti track day back in 2008 ish

#80 Ducbird, Sep 13, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
Do Not Sell My Personal Information