1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Double Sided Tape,

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Dirty Leeds, Dec 28, 2019.

1. ok the racking in my van is not as good as it should be well half of it isn’t anyway. I paid for it fitting but it’s useless, I tried glueing it again but it’s not lasting I can only think the surface was not clean enough as it does not get that hard a life so thinking double sided tape one called ape tape looks very strong or 3m vhb but god it’s dear and just doing the racking again it’s driving me mad.

Anyone used double sided? The van has like honeycomb sides to keep weight down but that doesn’t help trying to put screws in they vibrated out and I did think maybe fill screw holes with glue to create a plug type scenario when it sets with the screw in place

Bit frustrating cost me £700 to rack it

2. 3MVHB is where it’s at. You can check the bond/shear/peel strength in the spec sheets. There’s a reason it’s expensive...

3. Yes I guess so and to be honest with what it needs to stick I can possibly get two lengths out of one length of tape by cutting it in half just spending £700 on it and it’s not right is a bugger

4. Do you have any idea why it’s foam backed? The ape tape is either foam type tape or like a sellotape which I would have thought is the one I need I don’t see the benefit of foam type tape for racking unless a vibration issue possibly...this is all a bit new to me

I should have gone back to the manufacturer as they weld blocks onto the body and attach rails but I went for an option that cost the same and hasn’t worked

5. Surely if you have all the racking set and in place and the only problem is the screws slipping out of the wood, anything from Liquid Nails to a few used matches in each hole will solve it quickly & cheaply? Alternatively drive around to my house, and I will fix for less than the price of the £700 tape!

6. Screw it again and tec-7 the bejesus out of it ?

7. Jez I think somehow the surface was not clean originally so matter what went on the back of the aluminium uprights it wasn’t going to work fortunately the first 2/3 uprights are holding well on each side or I’d be fucked I moved a £25,000 bike last week no problem but jeez don’t need that, the whole lot cost £700 fitted not sure what tape will cost but a fraction of £700 and it’s awkward a mate did the job he says go back on Monday try again but I used a thing called ‘sticks like shit ‘ with another mate before we went doing Xmas lights in London and it worked for a while but fucked again now I just think the surfaces were contaminated so need it all off and start again and I don’t have a battery gun

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. Just got no purchase fella just goes into a void mostly that’s why they weld plastic blocks at the factory god knows why I didn’t go there fucking nuts it would have been lighter too

• Like Like x 1
  9. JLR use tape to stick a lot of the car together, including large external parts.
    We use a few hundred meters of it an hour on an automated production line at work. it’s foam backed (0.9mm thick) and made by 3M and is (or is as when specked) the strangest available.
    We have unused roll ends but I’m not back at work for a while :yum
    Pull tests per square inch is approx 500 Newton’s to failure point.

• Useful Useful x 1
  10. That sounds the kiddie why is it foam backed?

11. Compliance to slightly undulating surfaces: allows full ‘wet out’ over the whole surface - available in several thicknesses depending on application. We stick peoples stuff off their desks to the ceiling with it. :)

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. And their desk phone handsets to the base :eyes:

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. The foam allows for minor flatness and surface irregularities which means it tends to have a higher % contact area than normal tape

they keep foam thin or that becomes weak point

14. Sticks like shit is correct it's shit at sticking! Sikaflex do some good tube adhesives for metal to whatever.

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. Sikoflex was what was used first martin was baffled hence I think surface was not clean

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. So foam backed should be better for my irregular surface sided van

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Can you not get it some psychiatric help?

• Funny Funny x 2
  18. No, we like it just as it is :p

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. VHB isn’t foam backed as such, the adhesive goes all the way through. The foam is to give compliance

You will need to be particular about cleanliness, and check the surfaces to be bonded are suitable. Not all plastics are, and will need mechanical fixing instead. If you want to know more, google ‘plastic surface energy’

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Ok cheers. I wondered why they weld it at the factory

Do Not Sell My Personal Information